Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Old 02-12-2016, 08:51 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 186 Posts
Cool The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Figured I'd start a thread about 997 GT3/RS cars currently for sale. I think it's a healthier discussion than the "bubble burst" thread and gives people looking for cars and those of us lucky enough to own one a place for discussing the marketplace. I was inspired by this car in particular:

http://www.gtautolounge.com/vehicle-...75aa169a52115/

Very basic car with only one option: sport buckets. It also has the light weight headlights (HID and squirters delete). Nothing else! MSRP of $115K. This is the car I would buy in a heart beat if I were in the market or if I were ordering a new 997-2 GT3 back in the day. Truly an exceptional example IMHO. No affiliation, yada, yada.

Popular Reply

11-09-2023, 06:59 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

Well the Cobalt Blue at Switchcars sold. TO me woo hoo!!!!
Driving it home to CA from OH. Did 6 hours today.
This is the first time I've driven a GT3 and all I can say is WOW! Worth wait! its not the same car as my 997.2 S at all!
I'll post a trip thread separate, but one Cobalt Blue heading to nor cal.....

I'd like to thank many of you on this thread for timeless data points and helping us with knowledge from a classy standpoint. Looking forward to ownership greatly
Old 02-12-2016, 12:58 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 468 Likes on 189 Posts

I'll be biased and post my own here. And of course it's the best RS on the market right now.
Perfect street spec, completely unmolested car. A virgin with 7850 miles.

http://inventory.switchcars.com/2011..._261304806.veh

The following 2 users liked this post by switchcars:
95PorschePilot (08-02-2020), Climarepair.com (09-19-2022)
Old 02-12-2016, 01:55 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

^ And here's this car's Canadian twin for sale (no affiliation).

https://pfaffporsche.com/certified/p...82883/info.php

Name:  image_thumb.php.jpeg
Views: 33642
Size:  160.4 KB
The following users liked this post:
95PorschePilot (08-02-2020)
Old 02-13-2016, 12:00 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
^ And here's this car's Canadian twin for sale (no affiliation). https://pfaffporsche.com/certified/p...82883/info.php
FYI - Buying a car in Canada for us USA folks is no big deal. I did it last month. The cars are the same. And with a USD that may rebound again in coming weeks and oil in the dumper, usdcdn will likely go above 1.40 again.

I love all three that have been posted. Good idea Ilko.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:35 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Ilko, thank you. Great idea.
I'm starting to think about a non-turbo powered manual GT car. This thread will help me, so I will bump it up.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:18 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...3/1805939.html

A 3.9L 2008 with light track mods that a buddy has for sale at his shop.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:00 PM
Flyingtopkart
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am a Rennlist GT3 post virgin so please be gentle ;-)

I recently starting thinking to switch from my 997.2 S to a 997 GT3 and was wondering if I could have some advice from you. I am currently targeting cars at a driving distance from the middle atlantic (meaning not CA unfortunately) as I would prefer to do a trade-in / purchase transaction rather than selling my car privately first. I might change my mind as I go through this process however.

While the above example (Non RS) are great, I am unfortunately a boring Black or Silver/Grey king of guy...

I therefore inquired about 2 cars so far:

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...4539/overview/

and

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...1425/overview/

They are both certified, are in the same region and have ~10,000 miles, the only differences in options are:
2010 vs 2011: (+)full leather (+)front axle lift system (-)PCM 3.0 / Navigation

Do you see a justification for the 10K premium asked for the 2010? It seems that the MSRP's were probably very similar at the time of original purchase.

It is my understanding that track miles wear the car more than street driving. What would be the best way to find out how much these cars were tracked by the previous drivers. Would a tech during a PPI can find this out? (brake wear maybe but is that really a sign?)

Finally, by looking at both vehicles history via their auto check history reports, it seems that these vehicles were initially acquired by the dealerships some time ago (March 2015 for the 2011 while the 2010 was acquired by the dealership in August 2015 and only put for sale in January 2016). Does this pattern say anything and is there a reason why they would hold onto these cars for such an extended period of time?

Thank you very much for your time and I am hoping to be part of the community in the near future.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:32 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 186 Posts

In most cases you are better off selling your car first. Trade-ins rarely work in your favor even when you consider the sales tax advantage.

Both cars look very similar, the front lift commonly malfunctions on these cars and it's not cheap to replace. You may want to confirm that the 2011 car is indeed a 2011, since the steering wheel spokes are gray and not black. They were gray in 2009-2010 and black in 2011-2012.

Since the 2011 is a CPO, but is sold by a third party dealer, the CPO may be void. Porsche only transfers CPO warranties on authorized dealer and private party purchases. They don't always pay attention and in many cases cars sold by non-authorized dealers have retained the CPO warranty. But if your engine goes kaboom (unlikely, but let's use that as an example) and Porsche needs to replace it with a new one to the tune of $40K they certainly will look closely at their options and if they see the car's been purchased from an unauthorized dealer they could claim that the CPO warranty is void.

Regarding track driving, in some cases you can find history of that by examining the car closely - tires, have a different wear pattern and melted rubber all over them, paint on calipers is more yellow/brown, remains of tire "marbles" in the wheel wells, etc. If a car has been heavily tracked you can sometimes tell by the DME report. If the average MPH is over 55-60 for instance based on the total operating hours that means that the car has been driven at a high rate of speed for most of its life.

No idea why the dealers have held them so long prior to listing. Is the mileage different from when they were purchased? Maybe the principals used them to drive around for the summer. Or perhaps they know something we don't about the market. Or, most likely, it's just a coincidence...

Good luck on your search!
Old 02-14-2016, 09:42 PM
Flyingtopkart
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you so much Ilko for your detailed reply, it is extremely helpful. I didn't notice the third party dealer vs dealer so this is very good to know. Very good points regarding the track use and I will make sure to be present during a potential PPI to take a close look at the tires, brake calipers and wheel wells.

Thanks again and I will be sure to post once I become a very lucky owner!
Old 02-14-2016, 10:47 PM
racingsilver
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gt silver 2010 gt3 for sale 7200 miles

Hi I am relatively new to the forum... I have had this perfect 2010 gt3 Gt Siver metallic with black full leather for a few years and would like to sell it... Bought it with 6702 miles and now has roughly 7200 miles.. I bought it CPO from Porsche Warwick and I believe there is still some warranty left, but not 100% sure... It has xm radio, PCM 3.0 w/ extend navigation, carbon package switch panels, rear center Cole- carbon, unit audio interface, floor mats in interior color, Bluetooth, dynamic cornering lights, adaptive sports seats, ceramic composite btReaks, heated front seats, dynamic engine mounts, foot rest aluminum, seat belts in silver, self dim mirrors and rain sensor, sound package plus...Before purchase, brand new cup Michelins were placed.. I put new battery during my time...Before purchase, I got the parameter reading which showed "0" over rev in ranges 1 to 6... Rotors are as new with pads at 80-90%.....and all panels paint metered between 3.5 and 4.5.... Clean carfax.... Once car got shipped over to Long Island, NY, I got Porsche of Roslyn to reaffirm all the parameter readings....am sure everyone knows the virtues of this car better than I do...It has had no track time while I owned it (sad I know)... I only drove in the smooth B roads within 20 mile radius of my home....I would like to get $140k but open to reasonable offers for timely sell... I have pictures so pm me and will be glad to share them with you...I am pretty sure that this is as near new as you are going to find them....thanks Racingsilver
Old 02-14-2016, 10:55 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

great idea ilko - excellent contribution... much much rather look at these than that tired bubble thread

(sweet cars too...and prices too hahaha)
Old 02-14-2016, 11:09 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,788 Likes on 2,157 Posts

This low mileage frog found it's way onto Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=322004050739
Old 02-15-2016, 12:44 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
This low mileage frog found it's way onto Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=322004050739
Yep. Interesting that they claim '1 of 23 for North America' yet it's not a North American car. And there were more than 23.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:55 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Flyingtopkart
Hi everyone,

In looking at the two cars, I'm really not sure why the 2011 is more expensive. It actually has a lower MSRP (~124k as opposed to ~127k on the 2010), and it is not a true CPO as ilko correctly pointed out.

GT silver is a really spectacular color on the GT3, and very desirable/much more limited production. Only 42 were produced in that color for NA in 10-11, as opposed to 163 black ones.

Track driving - I would echo what ilko said, with a couple caveats. Often times, cars used (occasionally) on track are better maintained than street cars, as the tires, brake pads, and other consumables are changed out more often, and the fluids are also changed regularly. Many people put extensive clearbra coverage on them as well, and never hit redline, so it's possible to buy a 'virgin' car that's been tracked. It's all about evaluating the individual car, not necessarily on its past history, e.g. length of time at the dealer, number of owners, track time, but its actual condition.

In my opinion the 2011 at $130k+ is overpriced. There were no differences in the car from 2010 to 2011. People will say that the 11s are more valuable because fewer were made, but that tends only to be true with collectors who are paying $$ just for limited production.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:26 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by racingsilver
Hi I am relatively new to the forum... I have had this perfect 2010 gt3 Gt Siver metallic with black full leather for a few years and would like to sell it...

Bought it with 6702 miles and now has roughly 7200 miles.. I bought it CPO from Porsche Warwick and I believe there is still some warranty left, but not 100% sure... It has xm radio, PCM 3.0 w/ extend navigation, carbon package switch panels, rear center Cole- carbon, unit audio interface, floor mats in interior color, Bluetooth, dynamic cornering lights, adaptive sports seats, ceramic composite btReaks, heated front seats, dynamic engine mounts, foot rest aluminum, seat belts in silver, self dim mirrors and rain sensor, sound package plus...

Before purchase, brand new cup Michelins were placed.. I put new battery during my time...Before purchase, I got the parameter reading which showed "0" over rev in ranges 1 to 6... Rotors are as new with pads at 80-90%.....and all panels paint metered between 3.5 and 4.5.... Clean carfax.... Once car got shipped over to Long Island, NY, I got Porsche of Roslyn to reaffirm all the parameter readings....am sure everyone knows the virtues of this car better than I do...It has had no track time while I owned it (sad I know)... I only drove in the smooth B roads within 20 mile radius of my home....

I would like to get $140k but open to reasonable offers for timely sell... I have pictures so pm me and will be glad to share them with you...I am pretty sure that this is as near new as you are going to find them....thanks Racingsilver
Sounds great, GT Silver metallic is a pricey option and posting photos here is free!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...