Old 03-30-2020, 02:24 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
YEP

Worst time in history to sell a car (or best if you like investing lol). I suspect the reserve won't be met so you may have a chance later
2009 was far worse. We're not seeing drastic changes in car values at the moment, and we're a few weeks into this. The Aston Martins, Bentleys, AMGs, Corvettes, Lambos and other commodity luxury cars will get hammered, but as with 2009, the good cars in a collectible niche will likely not move much in value. Some, yes. But if you've been watching the RM online results and BaT in the past few weeks, it's almost as if the world is normal. The RSs were on a downward trend already as the speculators had given up on them, so that will likely continue until it hits equilibrium.

We have a number of buyers on the sidelines ready to pounce on crazy deals, and they're not presenting themselves just yet. They will come, yes. But this is not the worst time in history to sell a car, not by any stretch.

The following users liked this post:
9872SpeedYellowCS (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 07:19 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
2009 was far worse. We're not seeing drastic changes in car values at the moment, and we're a few weeks into this. The Aston Martins, Bentleys, AMGs, Corvettes, Lambos and other commodity luxury cars will get hammered, but as with 2009, the good cars in a collectible niche will likely not move much in value. Some, yes. But if you've been watching the RM online results and BaT in the past few weeks, it's almost as if the world is normal. The RSs were on a downward trend already as the speculators had given up on them, so that will likely continue until it hits equilibrium.

We have a number of buyers on the sidelines ready to pounce on crazy deals, and they're not presenting themselves just yet. They will come, yes. But this is not the worst time in history to sell a car, not by any stretch.
Good to hear Doug - I also think that people sometimes confuse rough cars with the market is coming to an end. Take the black 997.1 GT3 on BAT. That car had some unexplained items to it, of course people now like to think that the market for a 12k mile GT3 is $78k. I am having a hard time believing that, but if that is the case you will see my car with a lot more miles on it next time I see you because I guess it isn't worth anywhere near what I paid. Even the same story with the white with red decal .2 RS that you luckily had information on and was able to save someone money on I don't think the market is quite at $137k for a .2 RS yet even though that one didn't meet reserve.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:59 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,774 Posts

^^Lol, I got torn up over on BAT for chiming in on that car. Seller so not transparent. Hoping for the best on that car but from what I saw, downloading then expanding the pictures, it was very rough.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:35 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
^^Lol, I got torn up over on BAT for chiming in on that car. Seller so not transparent. Hoping for the best on that car but from what I saw, downloading then expanding the pictures, it was very rough.
So glad you did. You did nothing wrong and the seller clearly had something to hide. If I was more of an extrovert I probably would have chimed in on that, but I figured that wasn’t going to go anywhere. Those that want to imagine there is nothing wrong with that car can do so, but you pointed out about 20 reasons why I wouldn’t go near that.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:01 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

PS The RS may have a small RMS issue but man that car is NICE!
Talking about that car specifically, or RS in general?
Old 04-01-2020, 12:02 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Talking about that car specifically, or RS in general?
Specific one on BAT. RMS is sweating.

Also brake rotors show 1st wear indicator. It's nice but not mint.

Also this corona thing is turning out to be pretty serious.

I'm not surprised it's already at 115. People that buy this car have a price in mind and know the market well. I doubt it goes much higher.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:03 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by switchcars

Sorry I exaggerated. Glad you all are doing well. If you have a great deal, when cars become great deals again I'm interested in a white or silver 997.1 or .2 RS.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:15 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 204 Posts

Sorry I exaggerated. Glad you all are doing well. If you have a great deal, when cars become great deals again I'm interested in a white or silver 997.1 or .2 RS.
That's exactly why these cars will take a bit longer to collapse.... Everyone still wants one, if they become cheap. And thus, like magic, they don't become cheap. They won't be depression-proof, and if it becomes a little more apocalyptic in months to come at GT car wouldn't be a useful asset. You'll want something that you wont have to slow down so much when you're mowing down the looting plebeians. Personally, I don't really care if the value comes down, as I don't have plans to sell. But as it is, if prices fall by 30% or 40% I'll just have even more resolve to keep it. I'm sure others will have a similar feeling.
bonehead (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 01:45 PM
jasonturbo
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 28 Posts

Specific one on BAT. RMS is sweating.
In my experience all 997 GT3's show evidence of a "sweating" RMS, see the email from Porsche dated 9-Sep-2008, image 241 on the BaT posting, the email explains the design of the RMS relative to engine operation, and why the RMS tends to pass some oil.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-997-1-gt3-rs/

Having said that, the car was fully inspected by Weissach and Porsche in the last 12 months and neither one noted any concern regarding oil leaks/sweating from the RMS.

Also brake rotors show 1st wear indicator
PCCB wear indicators are typically visible even on brand new Gen 2 PCCB rotors, you can't accurately determine wear on a PCCB rotor simply by visual detection of the wear indicators, refer to the FSM guidelines in the post linked below for how Porsche assesses wear on PCCBs:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ml#post8383479

Assuming that the surface examination of a PCCB rotor does not identify any cause for rejection, general wear on PCCB rotor is to be determined by rotor thickness measurement, this is why the rotor hats have a min rotor thickness stamped right on them.

With respect to the Gen 2 PCCBs found on 997 models, the front/rear rotor measurements are specified by Porsche as follows (New vs. out of spec in mm):

Front: 34/33.5
Rear: 28/27.5

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...ear-limits.pdf

Although I can't tell you exactly what the fronts measured out at when I checked them in the fall of 2019, on my Instagram account there is a picture of a measurement being taken of the rear drivers side rotor, the picture shows a measurement of 28.46mm, well above the minimum specified new rotor thickness, the fronts also measured out above the minimum specified new rotor thickness.

Finally, the car was fully inspected by Weissach and Porsche in the last 12 months and neither one noted any concern regarding PCCB rotor thickness.
The following 2 users liked this post by jasonturbo:
jonwb (04-01-2020), RAudi Driver (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 01:55 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Screams gloom & doom while incessantly scrutinizing a forum member's car (I've seen the car in person; it's pristine).

Turns out to be in the market for a .1 RS.

Classic 997 GT3 forum etiquette.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:20 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
That's exactly why these cars will take a bit longer to collapse.... Everyone still wants one, if they become cheap. And thus, like magic, they don't become cheap. They won't be depression-proof, and if it becomes a little more apocalyptic in months to come at GT car wouldn't be a useful asset. You'll want something that you wont have to slow down so much when you're mowing down the looting plebeians. Personally, I don't really care if the value comes down, as I don't have plans to sell. But as it is, if prices fall by 30% or 40% I'll just have even more resolve to keep it. I'm sure others will have a similar feeling.
YEP

These cars hold there value very well.

Originally Posted by jasonturbo
In my experience all 997 GT3's show evidence of a "sweating" RMS, see the email from Porsche dated 9-Sep-2008, image 241 on the BaT posting, the email explains the design of the RMS relative to engine operation, and why the RMS tends to pass some oil.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-997-1-gt3-rs/

Having said that, the car was fully inspected by Weissach and Porsche in the last 12 months and neither one noted any concern regarding oil leaks/sweating from the RMS.

PCCB wear indicators are typically visible even on brand new Gen 2 PCCB rotors, you can't accurately determine wear on a PCCB rotor simply by visual detection of the wear indicators, refer to the FSM guidelines in the post linked below for how Porsche assesses wear on PCCBs:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ml#post8383479

Assuming that the surface examination of a PCCB rotor does not identify any cause for rejection, general wear on PCCB rotor is to be determined by rotor thickness measurement, this is why the rotor hats have a min rotor thickness stamped right on them.

With respect to the Gen 2 PCCBs found on 997 models, the front/rear rotor measurements are specified by Porsche as follows (New vs. out of spec in mm):

Front: 34/33.5
Rear: 28/27.5

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...ear-limits.pdf

Although I can't tell you exactly what the fronts measured out at when I checked them in the fall of 2019, on my Instagram account there is a picture of a measurement being taken of the rear drivers side rotor, the picture shows a measurement of 28.46mm, well above the minimum specified new rotor thickness, the fronts also measured out above the minimum specified new rotor thickness.

Finally, the car was fully inspected by Weissach and Porsche in the last 12 months and neither one noted any concern regarding PCCB rotor thickness.
Guys I've owned several GT3s with PCCBs and some with and some without rms issues.

Originally Posted by WantA997
Screams gloom & doom while incessantly scrutinizing a forum member's car (I've seen the car in person; it's pristine).

My apologies if I've offended anyone. Didn't mean to scream doom and gloom.

Not so sure your etiquette is a great example of how to behave on the 997 forum?

nochain19 (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 02:49 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

I will put my guess out there for the Orange 997.1RS on BAT, I am guessing at least $125k, but closer to $130k. Looks like a clean car with solid service history. While the market/COVID19 may effect it a bit, I think if the right people are bidding, it should have no problem getting there.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:51 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I feel like this too. If the values dropped down to $70k for a clean one, I would probably drive it more, and keep it longer. I enjoy the driving experience too much and nothing would come close to it for the same price.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:15 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997

YEP

These cars hold there value very well.

Guys I've owned several GT3s with PCCBs and some with and some without rms issues.

My apologies if I've offended anyone. Didn't mean to scream doom and gloom.

Not so sure your etiquette is a great example of how to behave on the 997 forum?

Members, let it go. We are all on the same team. We got more important things to worry about, like trying to have fun with thee GT3's.

My opinion is that the orange will break 130k. Love that seller though.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:03 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Members, let it go. We are all on the same team. We got more important things to worry about, like trying to have fun with thee GT3's.

My opinion is that the orange will break 130k. Love that seller though.
So does that mean you won't mention the oil drop between the trans and engine? How about the ceramic brake wear markers that are clearly visible in the pic's? Maybe you're waiting until the auction has 2-3 minutes to go? Just curious, thanks

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...