Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Old 07-18-2019, 12:11 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Mr. Steve! I’m curious, have you ever driven a 997 GT3 and RS back to back? I’m still so curious as to how much “rougher” the RS is? Is it 10% or 40%? Talk to me...
dang Michael, ya got me. I have only compared back2back, our 997GT3 (AFTER our purchase), and a friends 991.1 GT3RS, and they are just worlds apart (to me) so it didn't even feel like a comparison (pdk, bigger, blah blah blah).

so no, I am not absolutely 100% certain that my reasoning behind wanting the street-version GT3 over the RS is even warranted. PLEASE do not make me regret my decision!! You DOG you! ... Cuz I reeeeeally wanted to talk to my wife about trading up/sidewayz for your Superman. Gawwwwd I love the look of that car - now in Colorado's hands.

.... must..... stop..... thinking..... about...... superman......

=S
Old 07-18-2019, 12:31 AM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve had both at the same time, same roughness but RS more forgiving over bumps, Gt3 easier clutch because of heavy flywheel. Seats are what make the biggest difference- in and out easier and ability to change position on long drives.
The following users liked this post:
bweSteve (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 01:21 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Bxstr
My input is coming from owning a 997.1 GT3. Clutch is heavier than a Turbo for sure but also feels more natural to me now.

Car will do fine on longer road trips, but the suspension is not going to be super soft. Interior noise is definitely there too but not much louder than your C2S.

If you actually wanted a road trip car, or something for cruising, I would buy the Turbo. If you are looking for something to take on backroads, to the track, and then a yearly 500 mile road trip, the GT3 would be perfect for that.

Test driving is going to be difficult. Either find a friend willing to give you some seat time, or find a local PCA member that you can at least ride along with. Other than that it would have to be a dealer, but you are only going to get 15 mins of seat time where I really would need an hour to figure out if I like the car or not.

Either way, you can’t go wrong. Post both in the GT3 forum and the turbo one so you can see both sides.
Yeh, the test drive is what I'm hoping for. When you drop close to six figures, or over on the RS, ya gotta know what you're getting. Or, maybe, you can just feel it in you gut (and seat). I've got time to figure things out though....

Drove a 7.2 RS 2500 miles to Rennsport. Carbon buckets are very very good over distance. Exhaust sound in 6th at low RPM’s is doable. The killer is the NVH. Simply not enough sound deadening in these cars for long distance. Road surface matters. Concrete very loud, tarmac better. They are 3 hour cars max for most people. But the 3 hours on the right roads at speed is GT car nirvana.
The sound in my Camaro is load as well, LS with 550 hp=fun. Have drivin it cross country twice with the Good Guys road tour. 200 tread wear tires are fun in a hurricane.

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Hey Mike, like you, I have too many cars for my garage space. Two 1stGen Camaro's, one all-original L78 '68-RS/SS-396/375-Muncie,... and the 2nd is a modified '69 SS that is probably not up to your "high-end" protouring quality (mini-tubbed, but still needs some more - but that is a Father-Son-Daughter car project that started when they were in HS. I cannot fathom getting rid of either of them. They will pass on to them when I pass-on). But GARAGE SPACE is a problem for all us car-guys. My advice is to KEEP that car & just suck up the costs of storing it somewhere close, so you can still take it out for cruises when you want to. I am doing that for BOTH my Camaro's (both at different friends houses that have bigger garages than I do.... and yes I PAY them. I call it "keeping the money in the family". They are friends of mine since HS, and yes they get the keys too. We share).

Having said all that,... please keep the ProTouring, and sell the C2S, and get a 997 GT3. My wife & I have just been having a BLAST driving that thing. So much so that our beloved '91 964 Turbo has been catching up on preserving some miles by staying in the garage. Funny how both our 911's take priority for our 3 car garage, over the Camaro's.

M Adair & Bxstr said it well,... but I would also add that since I know your Camaro is probably good for longer touring trips, I bet it is still loud. So my bet is that you would still be FINE in a GT3 for the type of long weekend trips in a GT3. Now whether you would be fine in a 997 GT3RS, verses a regular GT3 is the bigger question. That is the main reason my wife & I did not go with a RS,... plus we looked specifically for one with 14-way Sofa seats. We wanted a "street" version of the car, since we only AutoX a few times a summer & I'll do a PCA DE maybe once every 2 years just to have some fun. I also love having NAV in my 997.2 GT3. It allows me to "see" the upcoming curvy sections of the road ahead. I LOVE that. If I run up on a car in front of me, I'll look down at NAV and decide whether to back off big-time, or even pull over & wait till I see a car coming from behind to pull back out on the road (just ahead of them), and give myself full access to the upcoming curves. Here on all our east coast mountain roads, our NAV plays a big role in how much fun we have in the twisties.
.... although maybe that doesn't play a big role on your west coast "Canyon" drives, if you typically get wide open access & no slow cars in front you that often.

The fun is in the journey!!! Have fun with the decision!!

Btw, if you start your own thread to discuss off-line from this FOR SALE thread,... I'll just move my comments above over there.
=Steve
Yes, the journey. Something I've finally learned after being on this planet for 50 plus years. Fun looking, even more fun driving. Thats kinda what I'm looking for, more than the C2S, as I do love track time. I was going to put about 5-10k in suspension goodies into the 997, but after looking into it, I'm better off doing the right GT3(RS).
Oh, mandatory Camaro pics for getting way off topic

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
Mike! as a fellow Livermorian DO IT!

I had a 997 Turbo EVT775, not even close I had all the RSS suspension bits as well. The Turbo is a comfy Grand Tourer, the GT3/RS is another level which you already know, the only thing in common is the silhouette.
Was hoping you'd chime in. It's been a while since I saw ya. Congrats on the new purchase! You keeping all 3?
Have you had a 997 GT3? how would you compare em?

Originally Posted by sixtyfiver
I’ve had both at the same time, same roughness but RS more forgiving over bumps, Gt3 easier clutch because of heavy flywheel. Seats are what make the biggest difference- in and out easier and ability to change position on long drives.
thanks for your input. Both 997's Ipresume? u still have?
Old 07-18-2019, 02:26 AM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 101 Posts

Let me know if you are ever in CO Steve and you can drive the RS
Old 07-18-2019, 02:27 AM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=thanks for your input. Both 997's Ipresume? u still have?[/QUOTE]

Correct both 997.2 with comparable mileage and factory suspension. The GT3 was sold recently to dealer, the RS in garage.
mikes70 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 10:35 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

dang Michael, ya got me. I have only compared back2back, our 997GT3 (AFTER our purchase), and a friends 991.1 GT3RS, and they are just worlds apart (to me) so it didn't even feel like a comparison (pdk, bigger, blah blah blah).

so no, I am not absolutely 100% certain that my reasoning behind wanting the street-version GT3 over the RS is even warranted. PLEASE do not make me regret my decision!! You DOG you! ... Cuz I reeeeeally wanted to talk to my wife about trading up/sidewayz for your Superman. Gawwwwd I love the look of that car - now in Colorado's hands.

.... must..... stop..... thinking..... about...... superman......

=S
Superman was a looker. She got more stares than the all red car. That surprised me because every red sports car I have owned has been a magnet. In terms of roughness of the RS I was generally curious. Being the same platform I’m just not convinced they are all that different. The wider track may help the RS a bit too. Such great cars! It’s also funny how the carbon buckets fit me and work so well. I’m guessing they are just well designed because my gal and I both always comment after longer drives that they work so well. Even the 10 hour days to Rennsport were fine.
mikes70 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 10:39 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
Be careful! If he drives it he may buy it. Be prepared for it! He’ll be in a Superman trance and he won’t know what he’s doing!
Old 07-18-2019, 12:36 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by sixtyfiver
…. Seats are what make the biggest difference- in and out easier and ability to change position on long drives.
^^^^^ This.

Be careful! If he drives it he may buy it. Be prepared for it! He’ll be in a Superman trance and he won’t know what he’s doing!
That won't happen,... cuz it was the wifey who had the biggest "say" in going the route we did. She sat in the LWBS once & could NOT get in & out of the car (& she's a small & nimble gal,... so I think she was actually trying to make a "point" with me,.... as she sat there, spun sideways as if to get out,... outstretched hands to me, motioning for me to PULL her a$$ out of those seats... as she promptly said "we will never own a car with these seats". LoL. She's a pisser,... and a damn good manual-trans driver too,... so she gets a LOT of leeway with me!! hahaha)

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
Suggest we meet up midway point in the US, and we can swap drives, take pics of them together, & have a beer!! .. How about the 2021 PCA Parade that is happening at French Lick Resort in Indiana. We will be towing out for that event. We went to that resort back in 2015 for the Parade, and the roads were really great to drive. And the local Police were in FULL support of us taking advantage of those roads (free of any hassle from the man. I know this to be true, cuz I talked to them first hand!!).

Originally Posted by mikes70
… Oh, mandatory Camaro pics for getting way off topic …
Post # 10.... https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...d-members.html

Ok, getting back to our regularly scheduled FOR SALE programming....

Here's an interesting car. And it's not that far from me. Seems like a decent street spec. Just wondering why so inexpensive at $103K asking price. Some of that may be due to the low orig MSRP of $113K.
And sure, not many street drivers are looking for a stripper spec. But hey, it DOES have NAV. ... and those 4-way sport seats do have the upper shoulder bolsters and are indeed quite comfortable for longer touring.
PORS9 may know how long this one has "been on the market". VIN # WP0AC2A93BS783312 - ... 28.6K miles.

https://www.porschearlington.com/cer...4f9b1dd3f7.htm

and also listed on cars-dot-com:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...t&CMP=atempest

Crazy as it seems,... I counted on my autotempest search, a total of Qty 51 - 997.2 GT3's & 3RS's for sale across the country.

=Steve
Old 07-18-2019, 01:14 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 468 Likes on 189 Posts

Ok, getting back to our regularly scheduled FOR SALE programming....

Here's an interesting car. And it's not that far from me. Seems like a decent street spec. Just wondering why so inexpensive at $103K asking price. Some of that may be due to the low orig MSRP of $113K.
And sure, not many street drivers are looking for a stripper spec. But hey, it DOES have NAV. ... and those 4-way sport seats do have the upper shoulder bolsters and are indeed quite comfortable for longer touring.
PORS9 may know how long this one has "been on the market". VIN # WP0AC2A93BS783312 - ... 28.6K miles.

https://www.porschearlington.com/cer...4f9b1dd3f7.htm

and also listed on cars-dot-com:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...t&CMP=atempest

Crazy as it seems,... I counted on my autotempest search, a total of Qty 51 - 997.2 GT3's & 3RS's for sale across the country.

=Steve
I show it as having an MSRP of just under $123k actually.

That being said, it's higher mileage and has an accident on Carfax. Realistically worth in the 90s in the current market.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:10 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 149 Posts

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...che-gt3-rs-12/

145k (including buyer fee) for a 07 Green GT3RS, 29k miles, coolant lines/diff done, perfect DME, sharkwerks bypass etc.

I am actually pretty surprised, I thought this would be at least 160k.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:17 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 102 Posts

^ Shockingly cheap
Old 07-18-2019, 03:18 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by RossP
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...che-gt3-rs-12/

145k (including buyer fee) for a 07 Green GT3RS, 29k miles, coolant lines/diff done, perfect DME, sharkwerks bypass etc.

I am actually pretty surprised, I thought this would be at least 160k.
Same question I asked on BaT... Has Green RS premium shrunk to zero or is it still there and Orange RS is now even lower?
Old 07-18-2019, 03:31 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Same question I asked on BaT... Has Green RS premium shrunk to zero or is it still there and Orange RS is now even lower?
They made way more orange ones then green ones. Most people seemed to be brainwashed by the newer 991 gt series hype...
Old 07-18-2019, 03:33 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
They made way more orange ones then green ones. Most people seemed to be brainwashed by the newer 991 gt series hype...
Well, if you are going to make the production number argument, they made more green ones than silver ones. And silver is arguably the least popular despite being one of the rarest colors.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:36 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by RossP
Well, if you are going to make the production number argument, they made more green ones than silver ones. And silver is arguably the least popular despite being one of the rarest colors.
If you reread the post he asked about orange vs green. Even though silver may be even more rare that is a separate discussion......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...