BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 Guard Transmission GT2 Pro+ LSD Installation

Attachment 1344394
Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 Guard Transmission GT2 Pro+ LSD Installation

The highly sought after Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 is one of the rare cars that most do not see often. While most cars remain elusive garages queen due to their prices rising to stratospheric levels, a few such as this example here belonging to a Rennlist member sees the track frequently. This track monster was shipped down to our facility from Northern California for us to install the Guard GT2 Pro+ Limited Slip Differential, made from high strength billet 8620 steel. For drive train upgrades, Guard Transmission is one of our preferred suppliers as they are the industry standard in high performance Porsche differentials and have remained in the top GT pro and club race cars worldwide. Here are a few pictures of the installation that we would like to share:

- Jerry@BBiAutosport.com

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 12-15-2015, 05:41 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 434 Posts

Looks like Mooty's car! And looks awesome!

Jerry, is this the same LSD unit I'll be getting or is it different?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:09 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh the horror - a modded 4.0!
:-)
Old 12-15-2015, 10:55 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I've had the Guard billet Pro on my car for 3+ years and with 100+ hard track hours on it, it has been absolutely flawless. I'm running 40/60 ramps. What did John go with?
Old 12-15-2015, 11:19 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I've had the Guard billet Pro on my car for 3+ years and with 100+ hard track hours on it, it has been absolutely flawless. I'm running 40/60 ramps. What did John go with?
Same here
Old 12-16-2015, 12:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

40/60
Old 12-16-2015, 03:49 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what happened to your crank pulley John, looks like the paint has been rubbed off the edge/lip- did a belt come off?
Old 12-16-2015, 11:37 AM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

May I ask why you choose to swap out the housing as well, apart from the fact that it looks amazing? Is there anything to gain from the stock one?
Old 12-16-2015, 12:50 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by runet
May I ask why you choose to swap out the housing as well, apart from the fact that it looks amazing? Is there anything to gain from the stock one?
Historically when guys have opted for our GT2 Pro LSD over rebuilding the stock it is because they want the added assurance of an all billet housing and internals in addition to the performance they gain with our ramps and clutches. The stock housings do break on heavily tracked cars, which is why Porsche Motorsports went to a billet housing in 2009. A 997 GT3 street car gets the old cast housing that was used on the 996 Cup and 997.1 Cup Cars.

The unit Mooty has installed is a brand new product, the GT2 Pro+. While our existing Pro model already knocks 2 lbs off the factory unit, this one takes another 5.5lbs off. We've gotten it down under 17lbs!!!

Furthermore this unit is 6 plates instead of the traditional 4 plate design. This offers us greater tunability on the units, including the option to detune it down to 4 plates for durability on a DE used vehicle.

While we were beta testing this unit, we installed one in Juan Lopez Santini's 2008 Cup Car. The first weekend he ran it at Sebring, his home track, he picked up over 2 seconds per lap from his previous best time.

Because of the lightening, we are only going to rate this unit to 600whp. It will be most appropriate for GT3s and Cups or GT2s and turbos that aren't super modified. We will continue to produce the original Pro model for those super high powerpower monsters like Kong or Zwart's PPIHC car. This product is an addition to the product line and not a replacement. The Club will still be available as well.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
Old 12-16-2015, 02:48 PM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Historically when guys have opted for our GT2 Pro LSD over rebuilding the stock it is because they want the added assurance of an all billet housing and internals in addition to the performance they gain with our ramps and clutches. The stock housings do break on heavily tracked cars, which is why Porsche Motorsports went to a billet housing in 2009. A 997 GT3 street car gets the old cast housing that was used on the 996 Cup and 997.1 Cup Cars.

The unit Mooty has installed is a brand new product, the GT2 Pro+. While our existing Pro model already knocks 2 lbs off the factory unit, this one takes another 5.5lbs off. We've gotten it down under 17lbs!!!

Furthermore this unit is 6 plates instead of the traditional 4 plate design. This offers us greater tunability on the units, including the option to detune it down to 4 plates for durability on a DE used vehicle.

While we were beta testing this unit, we installed one in Juan Lopez Santini's 2008 Cup Car. The first weekend he ran it at Sebring, his home track, he picked up over 2 seconds per lap from his previous best time.

Because of the lightening, we are only going to rate this unit to 600whp. It will be most appropriate for GT3s and Cups or GT2s and turbos that aren't super modified. We will continue to produce the original Pro model for those super high powerpower monsters like Kong or Zwart's PPIHC car. This product is an addition to the product line and not a replacement. The Club will still be available as well.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
Thank you. Great stuff as always.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

And the gt1 version ?
Old 12-16-2015, 04:47 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
And the gt1 version ?
Bring dropped from the line
Old 12-16-2015, 05:06 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Can you provide a price for a 4 ramp LSD, billet housing for a 996 GT3 please? Is this appropriate for my car. DE/track days and Mtn/canyon work. You can PM me. Shipped to Los Angeles, I can have it installed here. Is this overkill for a 6-3, if so a more appropriate option would be fine. I feel I'm ready to either re build or fully replace my LSD.

Many Thanks
Chris
Old 12-16-2015, 08:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

So satisfied with my Guard GT2 (not the baller + model!). This was one mod I immediately noticed a difference on street and track. The rear end just sticks under hard acceleration and under hard braking there is none of that OEM diff rear end unsettling wiggle.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:36 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by christallon
Can you provide a price for a 4 ramp LSD, billet housing for a 996 GT3 please? Is this appropriate for my car. DE/track days and Mtn/canyon work. You can PM me. Shipped to Los Angeles, I can have it installed here. Is this overkill for a 6-3, if so a more appropriate option would be fine. I feel I'm ready to either re build or fully replace my LSD.

Many Thanks
Chris
Not sure if this is directed at me or BBI. I'm a manufacturer. I don't sell my products direct because I make parts that generally cannot be properly installed by end users. I only sell through my authorized installers. Bad mechanics blame good parts when they screw up the install. You can buy these parts through BBI and have them installed on site. I don't know who your guy is. Maybe he's one of my guys. If he isn't, you should talk to BBI directly about buying the parts and having them installed by them.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 Guard Transmission GT2 Pro+ LSD Installation