Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How does your exhaust valve work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 04:03 PM
agentf1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does your exhaust valve work.

I noticed when you put on sport mode the valve seems to open up earlier that when not in sport mode.

Today we went on a VERY spirited drive to an event and about 1/2 way there I noticed the valve was staying open all the time. When I left the event after a few hours the valve was closed and it is not in sport mode when you first start it. I put it in sport mode and the valve opened right away at idle. The drive home was not as spirited and the more I drove it seemed to go back to normal where it opens at about 3000 rpm's. It almost seemed the the computer made it more aggressive the more aggressive I drove the car and when driving normal it goes back to opening up later in the rpm range.

Is this normal or am I going crazy?

P.S. It is a 2011 stock GT3.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:11 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by agentf1
I noticed when you put on sport mode the valve seems to open up earlier that when not in sport mode.

Today we went on a VERY spirited drive to an event and about 1/2 way there I noticed the valve was staying open all the time. When I left the event after a few hours the valve was closed and it is not in sport mode when you first start it. I put it in sport mode and the valve opened right away at idle. The drive home was not as spirited and the more I drove it seemed to go back to normal where it opens at about 3000 rpm's. It almost seemed the the computer made it more aggressive the more aggressive I drove the car and when driving normal it goes back to opening up later in the rpm range.

Is this normal or am I going crazy?

P.S. It is a 2011 stock GT3.
What you are describing is totally normal. When in SPORT mode, the valves open. From idle, if you get on it hard right off the bat, the valves will remain open. Once you settle down, and the rpm's drop below about 3k, the valves will close for normal driving. Then as you slow to a stop the valves will open again. In NORMAL mode the valves will stay closed until your rpm's get past about 4k.

I talk about some of this, and have a little video clip of the valves actuating, in a post on the topic here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post12698789

Pretty clever setup really.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:38 PM
agentf1
Instructor

My valve does not usually open up at idle other than the other day when I was driving it aggressively. Once I stated driving normal again it want back to not opening at idle.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:26 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there should be noticeable change in exhaust sound when switching to Sport at idle
Old 11-22-2015, 04:10 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

^ this is true... It is easily noticeable when its working right. You can see the magic happening in the video (from the post I reference). If your car is not getting louder (in SPORT mode) at idle I suspect your actuators may be 'sticking'. Technically they are open when its louder which means they are not under vacuum. So it's not a lack of vacuum that would cause that. Or your solenoid could be going bad.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:05 PM
agentf1
Instructor

I stand corrected, I just checked it out in the garage and can definitely hear it change at idle. I guess it is working correctly.

Quick Reply: How does your exhaust valve work.