Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Decided to join the gt3 world

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:06 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Decided to join the gt3 world

I've been searching for a nice 964 or a solid older 911 to go RBW way. Since these things are so stupidly over priced I decided to buy a 997 gt3 instead.
I have a love affair with Porsche 911's in general. Owned several over the years. Currently own a Ferrari 355, a heavily moded BMW
M Roadster, and a very classy 928.
Have 4 kids and have to leave a car for each when I'm dead. Hopefully not soon
So, any leads or any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Ohh, and I'm thinking some sort of wide body like the liberty.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:55 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

welcome! need pics of all of them!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in your situation a year ago. Here is how we eventually found and bought just a great '07 GT3. If they come up for sale, and are not "damaged goods", in other words, don't have a "history" they don't last long. So I made arrangements with my bank to be able to immediately wire the money to the sellers account, after being sure with a PPI that the car was as advertised. It is nice to have someone look it over for you, but in my case, i never personally saw the car until i drove it away, from DC back to SC. A week ago drove our GT3 from Kansas City home, right at a thousand miles, two days, just a great trip.

A lot of the cars have had multiple owners, and usually have some track history, and often track oriented modifications. Most of the cars are known here on this forum, and sometimes you will get back channel information that might not otherwise be displayed by a dealer. Whether or not dealers intentionally misrepresent their used GT3's, or just don't have the whole story about their cars is sometimes why you need to ask here about a car you are thinking about purchasing.

It is hard to explain why GT3's are so very different than "normal" 997 cars, they just are. You just have to drive one to see what the rest of us just can't seem to put into words. Probably like trying to tell some one what is so unique about your F355, which by the way is just a stunning car.

GT3's seem to be exceedingly reliable, dependable cars, esp if not too far from stock. Truly superb road machines. I am sure others will soon chime in with other suggestions about your search, and what cars are out there.

all the best....
Old 09-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

Have driven the gt3 once few years back and many other Porsches. I must say I fell for it right away. At the time I was thinking they are too expensive and would rather go for an older Porsche and get rid of all the weight etc.
now that I'm ready for it I think the gt3 is the better choice. I won't have to thinker with the car too much and it might even be a future classic.
Below are the pics of the other cars I have.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Madturk; 09-29-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:39 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

M roadster
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

And the 928
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2015, 11:40 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Madturk
Ohh, and I'm thinking some sort of wide body like the liberty.
liberty walk cars are truly special. can't wait to see your build!! call creaminz he'll hook you up with the kit.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:50 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
liberty walk cars are truly special. can't wait to see your build!! call creaminz he'll hook you up with the kit.
I hear his fluorescent looking, but closer to signal green kit is truly a class act. So is creaminz. He donates profits to charity.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:01 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

As a newer 7.1 GT3 owner, would suggest looking on AutoTrader and Car Guru on a daily basis. As stated by other RLer, lower mileage non tracked or minimal tracked examples dont last lont, even at $100k ish price point. I got lucky and found one that was "Coming Soon" at Switch Cars and bought it sight unseen based on details from owner of Switch Cars and am still very pleased with my purchase.
Porche dealerships in the Philly area have gotten a few in the last 6 months and they are usually sold in a couple days.
Panorama has been listing less and less of the 7.1 and 7.2s the last few months but good to check the ads anyway if you are a PCA member and get the mag.
As for driving one, GT3/RS are made where Porche makes their race cars, with some of the same materials and technology, thus a 911 that will drive and feel so totally different than a 911, even a Turbo 911 cannot compare to a GT3 is sound, feel, handling.
Good luck in your search.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

For sure.. I'm so not interested in a turbo. I want the rawness of the gt3.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:30 PM
abcut973
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie here too tasting waters between 997 and 991 GT3.
The crazyness of used prices on the PDK versions makes me more and more leaning towards a good old stick shift version.
I still have to drive test both back to back to actually make my own opinion on the matter.
Nonetheless this forum is a great source of information for new comers

OP GL with your search.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:07 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

I too am leaning towards stick.

Quick Reply: Decided to join the gt3 world