Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Survey - CPO coverage

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Survey - CPO coverage

My 2011 RS is at the dealership for first gear synchro replacement. I am not original owner, under 15K miles ( less than 1K by me) and it has full CPO coverage until 12/16. DME still in rage for current CPO coverage. It is a weekend driver for me. Their initial response was " abuse" - no coverage. I have called PNA and awaiting their conversation with the dealer.

I have read over the years on RL that some of you have had transmission / Synchro / Clutch issue covered by CPO others have not. I understand relationships with Pdealers can affect the level of customer service they provide. I would like to understand how many of you have had transmission / Synchro / Clutch issues covered and how many have been denied. There is an implied level of coverage with a CPO car and regardless of the disclaimer of "no coverage if raced or abused" in the warrantee we are not all receive the same level of coverage / interpretation of the agreement.

Informal survey: can you tell me issue, CPO coverage ( Yes - No) and state . If you feel comfortable provide dealers name. Will share survey statistics if you are interested.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2015, 03:32 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

3.8 Clutch failure and all damage (bell housing, rebuilt transmission) - "Good Will" - and it was really important that the clutch material looked new for some reason.
Latest gen valve actuators - "Good Will"
Diff - CPO (one time only, next time they said no)
Delaminating Carbon interior bits - CPO
Faulty Front computer module - CPO
Old 09-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks to those that sent me PM - right now it's 50 / 50 CPO coverage vs. No coverage.

Any 997 or 993 info is appreciated
Old 09-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Speedster - my experience as a CI of a very active track region is that ALL late model Porsches will eat synchros if you shift very quickly. Never heard of it on 1st gear though. Perhaps a mis-shift, got 1st when he wanted 3rd? Fellow who my 2007 RS lunched the gearbox -twice! I rode with him and pointed out that slam shifting would kill the tranny. He said "I can't help myself". SO he had to rebuild the gearbox TWICE! - at around 10K a pop.

PAG is aware of this weakness and probably assume abuse automatically. Porsche teaches the heartbeat method - clutch in wait a heartbeat then shift. My 2010 RS now in the hands of another Rennlister was treated this way and the tranny is perfect. One other tip, change the tranny fluid every ten hours of track use. You will be surprised how black it is.

Good luck with your case!

Best,
Old 09-15-2015, 03:50 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I concur with Bob R above. Back in the mid '60's, when I bought my first sports car, a '63 TR4 for all of $1500 used, second owner, (by the way, back then TR's and MG's were about the same price as Muscle Cars, at about $3K, although I had some friends who bought 383 Road Runners for a bit less), i took it for service to a small, one man English shop in Lincoln, NE, and he taught me to shift using the "snick-snick" method, which is a momentary pause in the H of the gate, to let the synchro's catch up down in the transmission. I have shifted that way ever since, the pause can be almost imperceptible, but it is still there in my hands on the gear shift.

As for CPO coverage, I don't know. My son had an out of CPO 996 Carrera, which ate the IMS, and his dealer provided a Porsche replacement engine, if he paid the labor. Which he did. He was due to participate in a Porsche driving event with new cars at Lowes up in Charlotte in a few days, so perhaps that had something to do with the willingness of his dealer to provide the engine.

Maybe half a loaf is better than no bread, and perhaps offering to pay part of the labor, say the R&R of the transaxle, not necessarily the labor for going into the trans, may swing the deal for some of the parts and labor costs.

Hope it works out for you

all the best....

Quick Reply: Survey - CPO coverage