Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Would selling my .1 GT3 and getting a GT4 be a downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 12:04 PM
mootsvamootsrsl
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Would selling my .1 GT3 and getting a GT4 be a downgrade?

Just saw the Gt4 in Monterey this past weekend. Very stunning car. If I was to go from a .1 GT3 to a GT4, would I regret it down the line? I already know it's less HP. Share your thoughts.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:09 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes and no. GT4 is more modern but less raw and doesn't have a GT engine.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

regret it a little today, alot tommorow.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:40 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i would regret it. i tihnk you'd be okay with the decision for a year or so, then wish you kept the 997.1 down the line.

no question the GT4 can handle and brake well, what would do it for me is the engine.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:53 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mootsvamootsrsl
Just saw the Gt4 in Monterey this past weekend. Very stunning car. If I was to go from a .1 GT3 to a GT4, would I regret it down the line? I already know it's less HP. Share your thoughts.

Assuming ^^this^^ is your GT3, then yes I think you'd regret it.

Seriously though, it all depends on what you do and don't like about your GT3. I had a deposit down on a GT4 based on a fairly good shot at an allocation, when I dropped my 'spot' and bought my GT3. I have zero regrets, and your car looks a hell of a lot cleaner than mine.

While I've not driven I GT4 here's my leanings at this point:

Engine: I didn't realize how much I would LOVE the power and character of the Mezger. I thought you guys were romanticizing it all, but damn... I love it. I love the sound, the power, the vibrations / feel, the neverending revs, the sound I'm sure the 991S engine in the GT4 is lovely, but it's no Mez. To me this is more of a 'thing' than I ever thought it would be.

Exterior styling: This is all eye-of-the-beholder stuff, but I just love the shape and proportions of the 997GT3. I think the GT4 looks great, but I still prefer the old dog. It's nit-picking, but the back end of the Cayman shape just looks a bit too long for my eyeballs. Hell, mine is covered in scratches (black cars...) but I still just can't believe how damn cool it looks in my garage. My poor wife has to hear me opine about it every time we walk into the house.

Interior: Also a subjective deal, but no contest the GT4 interior is better. My car spent too much time in the sun so my CF center console is 'not handsome', but design-wise the only thing I really don't love about the inside is the now dated radio / nav setup. The instrumentation layout is good, the driving position is perfect, visibility is good, seats are comfy (if not snug). So while the GT4 interior is 'better', the gap isn't enough to push me either way.

Handling: I've been too chicken to track my GT3 yet. Plus I don't want to track it 'til I've gotten the coolant pipes corrected. I tracked my Boxster S and loved how that car handled. I would guess that the GT4 will have handling characteristics closer to the Boxster and will my GT3. That said, either car will exceed my abilities by a long shot and give me plenty of opportunity to learn. On the street, I don't find the ride objectionable in the GT3. Even my wife doesn't mind the ride (she does NOT love the noise tho!). Steering feel in the GT3 is perfect. I can't imagine the GT4 is better.

Resale: ...the first rule of fightclub...

Finally, after having it for several months one of the things I find most interesting and appealing about my GT3 is its' character. It might be sacrilege to say this, but I don't really love old sports cars. I appreciate them, but I don't want one. They have old suspension designs, old brakes, old interiors, poor(er) safety, old engines, etc. One thing that older cars do have in spades though is character... personality... I don't want my sports car to be perfectly polished. Save that for the family car. I want a visceral experience. I want driving it to feel like an event. I like that the Mezger generation GT3's have the character and personality of older sports cars, but in a modern day package.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

add: smart
replace: dumb

and I love the mid engine platform
and think rear engine is antiquated
but still......at 8500 rpm, the shriek is like..... u know.....
Old 08-18-2015, 02:20 PM
mootsvamootsrsl
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I just put 1000 miles of driving this past weekend driving up to Monterey for car weekend and driving down through Bug Sur. It was amazing and quite fun. When I saw the GT4 up at the Porsche Zentrum it looked quite impressive then I started doing some research and saw dealers were asking $10-15k over.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:08 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yellow 997.1-3 looks nice - not a common color. if you sell, you'll have a hard time buying it back.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I just put 1000 miles of driving this past weekend driving up to Monterey for car weekend and driving down through Bug Sur. It was amazing and quite fun. When I saw the GT4 up at the Porsche Zentrum it looked quite impressive then I started doing some research and saw dealers were asking $10-15k over.
keep it - while the GT4 is amazing... the GT3 has a longer and stronger pedigree IMO, and will hold/increase in value more than the GT4 ... my $0.02
Old 08-18-2015, 05:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by jonwb

Assuming ^^this^^ is your GT3, then yes I think you'd regret it.

Seriously though, it all depends on what you do and don't like about your GT3. I had a deposit down on a GT4 based on a fairly good shot at an allocation, when I dropped my 'spot' and bought my GT3. I have zero regrets, and your car looks a hell of a lot cleaner than mine.

While I've not driven I GT4 here's my leanings at this point:

Engine: I didn't realize how much I would LOVE the power and character of the Mezger. I thought you guys were romanticizing it all, but damn... I love it. I love the sound, the power, the vibrations / feel, the neverending revs, the sound I'm sure the 991S engine in the GT4 is lovely, but it's no Mez. To me this is more of a 'thing' than I ever thought it would be.

Exterior styling: This is all eye-of-the-beholder stuff, but I just love the shape and proportions of the 997GT3. I think the GT4 looks great, but I still prefer the old dog. It's nit-picking, but the back end of the Cayman shape just looks a bit too long for my eyeballs. Hell, mine is covered in scratches (black cars...) but I still just can't believe how damn cool it looks in my garage. My poor wife has to hear me opine about it every time we walk into the house.

Interior: Also a subjective deal, but no contest the GT4 interior is better. My car spent too much time in the sun so my CF center console is 'not handsome', but design-wise the only thing I really don't love about the inside is the now dated radio / nav setup. The instrumentation layout is good, the driving position is perfect, visibility is good, seats are comfy (if not snug). So while the GT4 interior is 'better', the gap isn't enough to push me either way.

Handling: I've been too chicken to track my GT3 yet. Plus I don't want to track it 'til I've gotten the coolant pipes corrected. I tracked my Boxster S and loved how that car handled. I would guess that the GT4 will have handling characteristics closer to the Boxster and will my GT3. That said, either car will exceed my abilities by a long shot and give me plenty of opportunity to learn. On the street, I don't find the ride objectionable in the GT3. Even my wife doesn't mind the ride (she does NOT love the noise tho!). Steering feel in the GT3 is perfect. I can't imagine the GT4 is better.

Resale: ...the first rule of fightclub...

Finally, after having it for several months one of the things I find most interesting and appealing about my GT3 is its' character. It might be sacrilege to say this, but I don't really love old sports cars. I appreciate them, but I don't want one. They have old suspension designs, old brakes, old interiors, poor(er) safety, old engines, etc. One thing that older cars do have in spades though is character... personality... I don't want my sports car to be perfectly polished. Save that for the family car. I want a visceral experience. I want driving it to feel like an event. I like that the Mezger generation GT3's have the character and personality of older sports cars, but in a modern day package.
well said! Mezger's forever!
Old 08-18-2015, 05:19 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely keep it.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-18-2015, 06:04 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Would selling my .1 GT3 and getting a GT4 be a downgrade?

Drove a GT4 for the first time last week. A very nice car with comfortable LWB and beautiful interior. IMO the GT4 is a better DD than the 997gt3. But I would personally never sell a 997gt3 for a gt4. Would feel like a downgrade.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:18 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I saw the GT4 also this weekend and the new RS. The GT4 and the RS does not hit my buy meter because of the engine. The RS is beautiful. I could have gotten an allocation for either or both. It is not (as of yet) a race proven engine. A form of the RS engine is going to be raced but until it is a proven winner the RS is not on my buy list, nor is the GT4. I will continue to enjoy my mostly non electronic nanny GT3.

Now that Ford GT that was at the Historics........ WOW
Old 08-18-2015, 06:32 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

The 991 rs rear end doesn't look all that great. That off color rear valance looks like it needs to be lower- looks jacked up. That front fender side vents looks too jdm and side rear vents - never liked it in any car- destroys the streamline of the car. Too Hotwheels to me. On paper and visually gt4 looks great but there is something to be said about that mezger motor. Still enamored with it. Mike
Old 08-18-2015, 07:07 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the GT3, GT4 is geared too long.

Quick Reply: Would selling my .1 GT3 and getting a GT4 be a downgrade?