Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 Battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The 12v source isn't anything special a jump box or battery etc, but it is just to get the frunk open. Given that the frunk is open you should be able to jump start the car by hooking up directly to the battery. Sounds like you have been trying to get the car to start by charging the battery through the cig lighter. If so try to jump the car by hooking jumper cables or a jump box up directly to the battery. If it is still too dead, then just replace the battery.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:51 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Just be lucky you are not dealing with the oem lithium unit. It's so hard to throw something like that away .....
Anyone ever open one of these and see about replacing the cells? Porsche doesn't make lion cells... pretty packaging for sure. I know the braille units for example can be refreshed.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:07 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a good one to buy?

NOCO Genius Boost GB30 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter
Amazon.com: NOCO Genius Boost GB30 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter: Automotive Amazon.com: NOCO Genius Boost GB30 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter: Automotive

I may just go to autozone to check that
Old 07-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

This is the one I got http://amzn.com/B00KBINF7G

....they have it on sale right now for $69. I paid more for mine earlier this year :-(
Old 07-10-2015, 04:59 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Texas RS
This is the one I got http://amzn.com/B00KBINF7G

....they have it on sale right now for $69. I paid more for mine earlier this year :-(
Thanks so much, man, I will buy one to see if I could start the car, then go to shop to replace battery.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

The battery change is an easy DIY thing you can do at home in 30 minutes, no need to take it to the shop.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:42 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

The battery change is an easy DIY thing you can do at home in 30 minutes, no need to take it to the shop.
WOW, I have 0 experience on it. Is there any video, step by step, teaching how to do it?
Old 07-10-2015, 05:45 PM
icatto
Intermediate

Default 997.1 Battery problem

If you have the cig lighter charger, it should provide enough power to open the hood. I used my cig-to-cig charger for that purpose and then used a regular battery charger for those times that I let it sit too long (and was too lazy to use trickle charger).
But if your battery is really out of date, it's best to just go get it replaced IMHO.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:54 PM
icatto
Intermediate

Default 997.1 Battery problem

There should be plenty of videos. But it is really simple. Undo negative first, then positive, then loosen the clamps holding it down. As I mentioned in an earlier post, get the right size battery and you wind have to reposition the clamps (pain). When you reattach, attach clamp, then do positive first, then negative.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:57 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Originally Posted by icatto
If you have the cig lighter charger, it should provide enough power to open the hood. I used my cig-to-cig charger for that purpose and then used a regular battery charger for those times that I let it sit too long (and was too lazy to use trickle charger).
But if your battery is really out of date, it's best to just go get it replaced IMHO.
I did check the battery, it's interstate Mega-tron II 75 with a 05/10 tag on it, I believe the previous owner repaced the battery in 2010.

Do I have to purchase the exact same battery? Any other better one to choose?

About the charging, I use the regular charger plug to terminals(not cig) for about 1 hour, and the window is working, and every light is working as well, but it still says TPC failure, ABS failure, TC failure, and can not start it either. I dont know, I may just leave the charger there for whole night to see any improvement tomorrow morning.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:11 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Originally Posted by icatto
There should be plenty of videos. But it is really simple. Undo negative first, then positive, then loosen the clamps holding it down. As I mentioned in an earlier post, get the right size battery and you wind have to reposition the clamps (pain). When you reattach, attach clamp, then do positive first, then negative.
I am watching some videos, some of them mention "memory restore", and some not. What is that? Do we have to go the process with 997.1?

Also do I have to go with Interstate 70 battery or any other better options?

Regards,
Old 07-10-2015, 06:40 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Here is a quick video I found on YouTube - Make sure you disconnect the negative first and replace it last when you install the new battery. The reason you do this is avoid shorting the battery if your wrench hits a grounded component when you are working on the positive terminal. The video isn't very clear on the bracket that holds the battery in, you will have to find that and loosening it to get the battery out and make sure it is good and tight when you put the new battery in.

I put an Interstate battery in mine, its as good as any. You need to match the size, so the brackets hold it securely. Some people install a Braille battery to save a few pounds, but they don't have the longevity or cranking power of the Interstate battery.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:50 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Here is a quick video I found on YouTube - Make sure you disconnect the negative first and replace it last when you install the new battery. The reason you do this is avoid shorting the battery if your wrench hits a grounded component when you are working on the positive terminal. The video isn't very clear on the bracket that holds the battery in, you will have to find that and loosening it to get the battery out and make sure it is good and tight when you put the new battery in.

I put an Interstate battery in mine, its as good as any. Some people install a Braille battery to save a few pounds, but they don't have the longevity or cranking power of the Interstate battery.

How To Change the Battery on your Porsche - YouTube
Thanks so much for the info, man. I will replace it myself.
It is recommended to choose interstate H6 battery, still looking for it. You have any idea of "radio info stored, memory restore" process during the replacement?

Regards and many thanks
Old 07-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

I never had to do anything other that put the battery in. If there is an issue then I'm sure Porsche can do it quickly.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

The H6 is what I had in my RS. It fits fine. Any H6 / group 48 battery will do, Interstate are quality and have good warranty. I have personally also had good luck with AutoZone Duralast Gold batteries. All these batteries are made by the same 2-3 companies. The 94R or H7 size will also fit, are a little bigger/more capacity. 48 / H6 will also fit too. The tray has holes to hold both sizes.

just put the battery in
once in, you'll probably need to reset your stored radio stations
you might need to set your clock
some warnings will come on when you start your car, just drive it a few mins, they should clear
if not, just go to dealer and have them reset the computer codes

on the 1-10 scale, where washing a car is a 1, putting a battery in is a 2. in fact, if you count cleaning e88 bbs after a track day, washing is like a 5... lol. If you can turn a wrench you can do this. The hardest part is the weight, they are heavy. Put a towel in the frunk and over the bumper, and stand in there and lift out, CAREFULLY.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Battery problem