Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Replaced my engine mounts - much smoother now

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replaced my engine mounts - much smoother now

Okay so I realize a GT3 isn't going to idle smooth like a Lexus, but it seemed like my car (997.1) was idling just a little rougher and I was getting a slight shudder when reversing from a dead stop. Then one morning I noticed some liquid underneath the engine bay, directly from below one of the engine mounts.

I'm at 32K miles now, so all signs pointed to replacing the engine mounts. I replaced them myself this past weekend, and the car idles much smoother now, and the reverse shudder is gone. It's still no Lexus obviously but it's pretty clear to me now that one of the engine mounts had been on its way out.

If you're thinking of tackling this job yourself, it's pretty simple. Took me maybe 30 minutes, and I'm rounding up. You need to lift the back end of the car maybe 6 inches so that you can see the bottom nut holding each of the 2 engine mounts. You'll need a 12 inch extension and 18mm or 19mm deep socked (can't remember) to reach that nut. Basically, remove that one nut, remove the two nuts on top, and the mount lifts right out. Repeat for the other side.

AND most importantly, place a jack underneath the engine and lift the engine slightly. The engine obviously needs to be supported for this job.

Quick Reply: Replaced my engine mounts - much smoother now