Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Paint Protection for Track Days GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:33 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Paint Protection for Track Days GT3 RS

I have a .2 RS that will see track use approx 2-3 x/yr at this point. One in particular is a 1950's airport with asphalt that throws up nasty little razor blades. In speaking w a local protective film applicator, he recommended only covering frontal impact zones and suggested only doing front bumper, hood and headlights. In looking at my car, it's nicked up enough on the hood that it probably makes sense to respray hood, allow to cure a few weeks then apply clear bra to it, front and Headlights. There are a few nicks just behind lights so might consider fenders also. He favours 3M, which while harder to work with, is thicker than other products.

What else do you protect for track days and how? Rear fenders? Tape? Plastic dip? Temporary films?

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers

Mark
Old 03-10-2015, 04:06 AM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My hood is already chipped. Play hard and repaint after the car retire from track.
I had 3M and it turns yellow. But my 3M is back in 2007 technology.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:57 AM
go-ran
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

U gotta do the fenders and also the hips right behind the doors. Id use film now and not respray. Dont know if thats ideal of not but i just wouldnt throw paint on for a few chips here and there
Old 03-10-2015, 09:42 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

Suntek or xpel is a much better film than 3M. Suntek looks the best with less orange peel and installers like it since it's easier to work with. Xpel will offer the most protection. I think it's slightly thicker from what I remember.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:43 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

And do the rear quarters. My ppf on my rear quarters was pretty beat up after when I bought my car.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:00 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

I also did the roof.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:22 AM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painter's masking tape

Lowes or Home Depot. Rear half of front and rear fender openings. Usually comes in blue or green.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:23 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is another choice, I usually put a slightly adhesive sort of a thick cellophane on my hood and front and lights when I am driving for any distance, it sort of wrinkles and comes in several widths, just cut a little oversize and press on, tuck under the hood lip, it comes off with a tug. Called " Road Wrap". It will protect from small nicks, but not for something like a larger rock or lug nut that whacks the front of a car. A couple of bucks worth will cover the front of a Porsche from smaller debris. I suppose one could put on several layers.

A quick temporary thing that protects well.

I have heard of folks painting their car's front, then applying a protective wrap, then when later removing the wrap, pulling off the re-paint.

My daughter got her appendix out last night, she is recovering nicely. The nurse taking care of her told me that 3 years ago I found her 3 day old son had congenital dislocation of his hips, and promptly referred him to a pediatric orthopedist, who put the infant in the special harness for some months and the lad is now fine. She assured me that Becky would get the best possible care. Our family was in good hands and Becky will come home later today.

all the best...
Old 03-10-2015, 12:52 PM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Xpel Ultimate
Old 03-10-2015, 01:06 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd cover the rear hips all the way down to the bottom and the rockers starting mid door to the rear. I would also do the rear bumper where a mudflap would be if the car had one. I agree with the room first 1/3 and I'd do the mirrors as well. Another option I've seen people do but can't comment on is using a ton of blue painters tape every trackday.

With that said it would be nice to have the perm protection for street driving.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:16 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Thanks everyone!

Cheers

Mark
Old 03-10-2015, 01:22 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Alternatively you can vinyl wrap your car and when you're bored with the color you can take it off, and have gotten some paint protection.

Painters tape took forever, I know my friend used the huge sticky cellophane sheets or whatever they actually are, and that worked out faster and better for him than me blue taping up the car. I ended up going 3M clearbra which held up fairly well and didn't seem to yellow over a 2 year period, but that's not too long a period.

The biggest problem I had was the windshield. Kept chipping and breaking them due to rocks and debris being flung into the windshield.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:44 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hillsdonsmith
One in particular is a 1950's airport with asphalt that throws up nasty little razor blades.
What track are you referring to? Bremberton?
Old 03-12-2015, 02:57 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Originally Posted by shotor
What track are you referring to? Bremberton?
PCA Vancouver Island annual meet in Ucluelet at Blackrock resort - DE & autocross at Tofino airport .
Cheers
Mark
Old 03-13-2015, 04:38 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

I recently purchased a 12 year old 996 GT3 and even wrapped that. IMO if you hate stone chips and want to keep the paint looking good whilst enjoying your car in the activity it was built for, paint protection film is the only way. Xpel Ultimate is the pinnacle in 2015, scratch resistant, self healing, UV resistant and if its installed correctly you can barely tell its there.

At a minimum for a GT3 you need full hood, front bumper, half fenders, head lights, mirrors and behind front and rear wheels. Other areas which would benefit from protection are the front portion of the roof, the side sills and dont forget the rear wing (stones fly over the roof and are collected by the wing).

Quick Reply: Paint Protection for Track Days GT3 RS