TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hesperus
BOOM.

waiting for that email now with the pricing

thanks!!!
Really look forward to your reports on this, I would love it if provided that magic combo of limo ride when needed then whip into ultra controlled go kart when the sensors tell it it's needed..... I am way too sceptical to be a guinea pig
Old 06-17-2015, 05:43 PM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Thank you very much, hesperus! Glad you found this thread.

Tractive DDA shocks bring racing level performance to a street car only when the driver needs or wants this level of stiffness. For street, the supple and controlled ride is a result of maximizing shock stroke paired with more stable springs and superior electronic management that will soften the "nose" of road bumps and stabilize the vehicle against oscillations before it happens. The dynamic range between rstreet comfort and race track performance is made even more flexible to the individual user preference with the tunable software that we will release later this year. The standard mapping is already very well developed but you can personalize it for your exact usage, preference, and your local roads. A way to depict the dynamic range of Tractive DDA is to think of the PASM modes as "3" for Normal and "8" for Sport. The "3" and "8" are pretty much fixed values. With DSC and OEM PASM shocks you have a dynamic range varying between "1" to "10" based on the speed and other inputs for the driving situation. Tractive DDA's range is "-5 to 15". In addition to the much wider range there is no "bump rubber effect" and the reaction time to command is 17x faster than OEM PASM to shape damping curve to stabilize vehicle oscillation; soften nose of the compression then ramp up as load increases and tailor rebound to smoothen vehicle weight transfer, which results in reduction of shocking to tire contact patch, which results in more grip. Tractive DDA shocks maintain a guide clearance of 0.01mm, this means virtually zero front toe deflection as a result of shaft play on MacPherson Strut type suspension. As for durability, each design of Tractive DDA shock has to pass a life cycle test on a large drum dyno for the duration of 2.4 million cycles at 100 degrees Celsius. After the test the damping curve has to be within 15% of the original damping curve. The DDA valve has been tested with 18 million cycles by an OEM manufacture and approved by them for production. Even the details down to the ZnNi coating for the outer casing is tested to conform to ASTM B117 specification. This means no white rust within 120 hours and red rust within 700 hours of high pressure salt spray test.

Hope this information helps.
Wow, are DDA coil overs going to be offered for other 911 models ie remodeled 930?
Old 06-17-2015, 06:07 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Really look forward to your reports on this, I would love it if provided that magic combo of limo ride when needed then whip into ultra controlled go kart when the sensors tell it it's needed..... I am way too sceptical to be a guinea pig
We are installing Tractive DDA coilovers with Standalone DSC on a 987.2 Cayman S and 987.2 Spyder in our shop this week.

I rode in the Cayman S, it been tracked prepped(roll bar, seats, harness) and had single adjustable monotube coilovers with 400/500 springs. It was pretty bouncy on the public roads near the shop. I rode in the same car again today with Tractive DDA and same rate springs installed, it was indeed magical how smooth the car is now. Smoother than stock. Photos and videos to come.

Oh and the test driver said it put down power better because the new coilover didn't squat before go. Car has turbo kit installed too that previous broke the tire loose easily.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:14 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tim Kay
Wow, are DDA coil overs going to be offered for other 911 models ie remodeled 930?
We plan on offering DDA for Standalone installation for earlier cars. We have already gotten 993 and 964 requests but we want to get the newer car plug&play models flowing smoothly first. The 911/930 will present a small challenge to obtain the front spindle mounts to weld onto the struts, but not impossible.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:10 PM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We plan on offering DDA for Standalone installation for earlier cars. We have already gotten 993 and 964 requests but we want to get the newer car plug&play models flowing smoothly first. The 911/930 will present a small challenge to obtain the front spindle mounts to weld onto the struts, but not impossible.
Thanks.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:06 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default DSC/Tractive sets new qualifying lap record at the Glen!

The TPC Racing team is at the Glen this weekend for races 3, 4, and 5 of the IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge. Mike Levitas in the #36 car is loving his DSC/DDA set up, and the results are fantastic!

Levitas set a new qualifying lap record today, finishing P1 in his class and P10 overall! Even his second fastest lap would have secured the same starting position, both overall and in class.

We're very happy with the practice and qualifying results and are looking forward to race 1. You can tune in today for a live stream of Race 1 at www.imsa.tv at 3PM ET!

Check out the qualifying results below:
Old 06-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

So, here's a question. I have the DSC on my '07 GT3 and I can only really tell the difference between the 3 different stiffness settings when I'm on the track. On the street, all 3 seem about the same, at least in terms of ability to cope with bumps, which is much better than the OEM PASM. On the track, I do sense the firmer settings by the amount of additional stiffness under cornering or braking.

Does this sound about right?
Old 06-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
So, here's a question. I have the DSC on my '07 GT3 and I can only really tell the difference between the 3 different stiffness settings when I'm on the track. On the street, all 3 seem about the same, at least in terms of ability to cope with bumps, which is much better than the OEM PASM. On the track, I do sense the firmer settings by the amount of additional stiffness under cornering or braking.

yes and no, I can feel the difference between the modes on the street in my 7.2 GT3, but its all subjective measured by the seat-o-the-pants-o-meter(tm)
Old 06-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Chris in Japan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question.

What is mode 3 for?

I use mode 1 for street which I find quite supple, and mode 2 for track which seems decently stiff. I remember reading that mode 3 used to be the stiffest setting, but is now a sort of middle ground.
Is this the case?

My DSC was purchased 2 months ago.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:48 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jake951

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
yes and no, I can feel the difference between the modes on the street in my 7.2 GT3, but its all subjective measured by the seat-o-the-pants-o-meter(tm)
I think Larry Cable summed it up pretty well. If you're referring to ride quality and comfort over bumps then there is a certain level of subjectivity here. Furthermore, the modes are all rather vast ranges (rather than fixed values) and the damping value or perceived "stiffness" is going to be based on the input level. There's also a lot of overlap within these ranges.

It's most likely that when you're driving on the street you're not pushing the car hard enough to really feel that increase in damping level, whereas on the track you're pushing your car a lot harder.

We're looking to release a user-friendly version of the software where you can custom tune your modes by the 3rd quarter of 2015. Hopefully this helps!
Old 06-26-2015, 05:54 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chris in Japan
I have a question.

What is mode 3 for?

I use mode 1 for street which I find quite supple, and mode 2 for track which seems decently stiff. I remember reading that mode 3 used to be the stiffest setting, but is now a sort of middle ground.
Is this the case?

My DSC was purchased 2 months ago.

Thanks.
Mode 3 is generally reserved for the track, particularly high speed, smooth tracks. It provides the "stiffest" damping range of the three modes. It also has a more aggressive response rate.

Mode 1 is intended for street use (particularly city streets and bumpy ones at that). Mode 2 is ideal for spirited driving, if you will - winding country roads, highway driving, etc.; however, it can also be great for bumpier tracks - Sebring would be a great example of where you might want to consider using Mode 2.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:27 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
will definitely post up when i finally pull the trigger-- hopefully within the next 60 days

however i'm under no illusion that i will get a "limo ride" from the DDA's. it's a GT3, and i don't believe the technology currently exists using a traditional spring and damper setup-- even an active one-- that will truly allow that, especially on an ageing platform like the 997.

i've driven 458's and MP4's, and those-- the Mclaren in particular-- have a degree of comfort which i can only dream about for my car. if the DDA's get even halfway there, i'd be happy.

am i overpaying given such a marginal improvement in comfort? i guess we'll find out soon enough. what makes the decision easier is that i was all prepared to go with a set of full adjustable Exe-TC's, and those are at least as pricey as the Tractive's. problem is, there's no one around here whom I trust to really set up a full adjustable suspension properly, so i could just end up making things worse!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:54 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default DSC/DDA dominates the Glen!

What a weekend!

After setting a new qualifying lap record in the #36 car, Mike Levitas went on to set a new race lap record in the first race of the weekend at Watkins Glen. Even from watching on the tv, you could visibly see how planted the #36 car was when driving over the curbing compared to the other cars in the field. We will link the broadcast when/if IMSA posts it online.

While other teams set up for a wet race 2, Levitas left the setup alone and allowed DSC/DDA to adjust to the wet conditions on its own. The results? Another P1 finish.

It was great to see the DSC/DDA setup working to its potential in both wet and dry conditions. With the Yokohama tires that are run in the IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge series, we typically see a 1.8G threshold in dry conditions and a 60 bar dry brake threshold. In wet conditions these numbers are about 0.8-0.9G and 30-35 bar. The DSC/DDA did an excellent job of adjusting the damping rates to achieve these thresholds in both conditions with little manual setup or adjustments.

We really couldn't be more happy with the results from this weekend. And while Levitas is an excellent driver and we couldn't have done it without him, the DSC/DDA setup played a critical role in weekend's sweep!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:57 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A "limo ride" would certainly be a stretch for any sports car, and this is not a claim we would like to make. However, the goal of the DSC/DDA combination is to provide a truly race-level shock that optimizes performance on the track, while maintaining the ride quality on the street as say a luxury/sports sedan. This would be a more accurate representation of its streetability.

Originally Posted by hesperus
will definitely post up when i finally pull the trigger-- hopefully within the next 60 days

however i'm under no illusion that i will get a "limo ride" from the DDA's. it's a GT3, and i don't believe the technology currently exists using a traditional spring and damper setup-- even an active one-- that will truly allow that, especially on an ageing platform like the 997.

i've driven 458's and MP4's, and those-- the Mclaren in particular-- have a degree of comfort which i can only dream about for my car. if the DDA's get even halfway there, i'd be happy.

am i overpaying given such a marginal improvement in comfort? i guess we'll find out soon enough. what makes the decision easier is that i was all prepared to go with a set of full adjustable Exe-TC's, and those are at least as pricey as the Tractive's. problem is, there's no one around here whom I trust to really set up a full adjustable suspension properly, so i could just end up making things worse!
Old 06-29-2015, 03:03 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think Larry Cable summed it up pretty well. If you're referring to ride quality and comfort over bumps then there is a certain level of subjectivity here. Furthermore, the modes are all rather vast ranges (rather than fixed values) and the damping value or perceived "stiffness" is going to be based on the input level. There's also a lot of overlap within these ranges.

It's most likely that when you're driving on the street you're not pushing the car hard enough to really feel that increase in damping level, whereas on the track you're pushing your car a lot harder.
Yes, my impressions on the DSC are subjective, i.e. seat of the pants. I am definitely not pushing the car very hard on the street. I save that for the track. When I am on the street, if I try to adjust the DSC settings based on perceived comfort over bumpy roads, then as I said earlier, I don't see a lot of difference between the 3 modes.

I do find myself using different settings on different tracks, however. Here in the Northeast, I use setting #1 ("softest") at NHMS, #3 (stiffest) at Palmer, #2 at WGI, #3 at LRP, and #3 at Thompson.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM