997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Old 10-11-2016, 12:22 AM
LTP
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 991.1 C2S with PASM. I might have missed the thread, can any comment on PSS10 B16 damptronic with DSC? I find PSS10 is too stiff for daily driving. By using DSC at comfort setting, will it be as comfortable as original factory set up? Thanks
Old 10-11-2016, 01:45 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,420 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Originally Posted by LTP
I have a 991.1 C2S with PASM. I might have missed the thread, can any comment on PSS10 B16 damptronic with DSC? I find PSS10 is too stiff for daily driving. By using DSC at comfort setting, will it be as comfortable as original factory set up? Thanks
IMO more so!
Old 10-19-2016, 03:32 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I'm one of the 3 mode stragglers. It'll be coming to you guys eventually.
ME TOO!!!
Old 10-19-2016, 03:45 PM
LTP
Instructor

thanks Larry, does any member has the same set up B16 + DSC? your input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LTP
thanks Larry, does any member has the same set up B16 + DSC? your input will be greatly appreciated.
not that I am aware of - sorry
Old 10-21-2016, 01:49 PM
LTP
Instructor

ok thx Larry
Old 10-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LTP
I think you need to "ignore" the DSC, the main issue with the B16's and ride qaulity is the spring rate - if you are happy with the ride on B16's you will
be happier with the B16's and a DSC...
Old 10-26-2016, 03:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Default DSC SEMA announcement...

here: http://www.dscsport.com/2016/10/24/d...ke-sema-debut/

Wifi access is huge...
Old 10-26-2016, 03:50 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
wow... available for 964/993 too! now i wish i had a 993!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:19 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, soon for 964/993s! (posting this here since many of you own these cars too)
No affiliation, just excited to see continued development of new tech for these 20+ year old cars.

http://www.dscsport.com/porsche/#964

An industry first! DSC Sport now offers the first ever user definable active suspension system for Classic Porsche (1989-1998) applications! Experience the same level of track performance and street comfort available in modern sports cars for your favorite European classics. Using additional sensors to gather all of the necessary inputs, DSC Sport will adjust each individual shock in virtually real time to provide the ideal damping values for any situation.

Inputs include:
• G-Force
• Brake Pressure
• Wheel Speed (mph)
• Throttle Position (for carbureted/EFI engines)
How Do We Do It?

Using the same wiring harness provided with our Stand Alone Kit for non-PASM Porsche cars, we wire the car for electronic shocks and their communication with the DSC Sport Stand Alone Controller. Analog sensors including an accelerometer (g-force), brake pressure, wheel speed (mph), and throttle position (for carbureted/EFI engines) are then converted to digital signals for communication with the DSC Sport software.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:27 AM
cjd92
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I own a GT4 and have a DSC Sport Module in my car, it is fantastic and very noticeable improvement to the overall feel and my laps! I thought I would share the following:

I've been talking about the GT4 at the track and how great of an improvement the DSC module made to the car. I gotta give a big thank you to Tom Chan at TPC for the set up and the general DSC module 'getting started' instructions.

As I understand it, the DSC dynamically adjusts the stock individual dampers (shocks) based on g-force, brake pressure, damper velocity and vehicle speed (all these sensors are already equipped on the car). The commands from the DSC to the individual shocks are based on an algorithm. The stock shock responds to the DSC commands at a 100 millisecond rate - a big improvement over the stock control algorithm. The DSC significantly increases the realized chassis 'spring' rate through damper control versus having to change out actual springs for rate increases.

The commands are tune-able by the user via a free tuning software - get a look at the software here: http://dscsport.com/software-2/ . I am using a standard GT4 map that was provided by TPC - that map was developed by Mike Levitas and Randy Pobst.

In short, from my driving, I use it in 'sport' mode for dry track conditions and if I were to drive in the wet conditions or bumpy tracks I would select the DSC in 'normal' mode. DSC 'normal' mode has 'softer' [set up] commands to the inputs while 'sport' mode ramps up the stiffness more to the same level of input. The selector is just the originally equipped 'shock' button on the center console of the GT4.

Since DSC commands individual shocks, during cornering it tells the outside shocks to be stiffer to support the chassis roll while inside shocks stay soft to go over track curbing without upsetting the chassis. DSC also commands the stock dynamic engine/transmission mounts to eliminate the corner entry oversteer induced by the drivetrain movement in the chassis.

This has greatly improved the stability and grip. In my experience (been driving in autocross, pca hpde, club racing, baja 1000 in a Porsche powered truggy, a brief but incredible stint in a grand am GS 997 and overall for 26 years) with it so far I am seeing my best lap times at VIR, I have only gone to one other track, Dominion Raceway. I saw a big improvement over the before and after at VIR. The beauty of the set up is that it provides significant stiffening through the shock valving/damper control versus changing out parts - minimal parts are required (rear toe links) but otherwise the car is nearly all stock! The noticeable improvements are a direct result of optimizing geometry and suspension dampening.

Other initial improvements related to the suspension on my car include Hoosier R7 on 19" Forgelines, the TPC offset rear toe links and of course a complete chassis drill (ride height change, corner weight, nut/bolt, shims, alignment). I have been running the stock dunlop tires 32 front tire pressure and about 34 rear and sways adjusted/aero full up (front ducts removed as well).
Old 11-11-2016, 06:37 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

I have just spent a few days driving various other "sports" cars in day to day street driving meaning real roads, cambers, crappy surfaces nice surfaces etc etc.

I got back into my 7GT2 this morning and I simply cannot believe how resolved and sophisticated the chassis is. My car wears full solid bushings pretty much everywhere, Cup 2 tyres with 245 at the front and the full TPC Tractive shocks/Swift spring/DSC package.
The car is incredible, the most amazing thing to drive in everyday street driving it soaks up bumps, the steering is scalpel sharp, the power goes down well as the softer initial springing delivers more grip than one would imagine.... today I've been driving in 3 degC dryish conditions on Cup 2s and the car is a pussycat sure it is a lively pussycat but an absolute delight for anyone who actually enjoys driving...
Of course the party trick of the set up is when one goes fast, really fast, everything tightens up and the car is a ballistic go kart - frikkin unreal.

Just thought I'd do some flag waving here as I have always been (and will continue to be no doubt) a major sceptic on any "revolutionary" new product and I held off buying this for way too long. If you have a 7GT2/3 and you actually use it on the road then this will be the best thing you ever bought for it, as for its track credentials well the TPC team seem to do pretty well using this setup on their race car. Yes it's quite expensive but it is high quality and will doubtlessly retain its value if you decide to sell your car - all GT2/3 guys without this kit should be having major FOMO - get your credit cards out and live it
Library photo
Name:  brunterssept2015_zpsjojyr0cf.png
Views: 783
Size:  687.2 KB

Last edited by TB993tt; 11-11-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:36 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

I have been reading exemplary remarks on the dsc control units for the gt3s and other extreme riding Porsches these really ride hard and are not really suitable for the street, the 997.2 C2S is a lot better riding for the street. Does the dsc unit also improve th comfort and ride for these types of cars?
Old 11-16-2016, 06:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slicky rick
I have been reading exemplary remarks on the dsc control units for the gt3s and other extreme riding Porsches these really ride hard and are not really suitable for the street, the 997.2 C2S is a lot better riding for the street. Does the dsc unit also improve th comfort and ride for these types of cars?
YES. my 991 Carrera 2 GTS Cabriolet is greatly improved by DSC on the street vs OEM PASM response.

Note the DSC is only available for (certain) PASM equipped models, although they are now offering retro-kits for pre-PASM models such as the 993/964 generations I believe.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:15 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Now if JRZ would just release their info on their new electronic shocks so we know if that's a shock option to go with the DSC instead of just tractive

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM