Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Should I buy at GT2RS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Joe T
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy at GT2RS?

Looking for some input from GT2RS pilots here. I've been considering going back to the fold (from Ferrari) and buying a "unique" P-car with a manual gearbox. The only friend I have that owned a 2RS didn't like it (redline too low for him) but he also is in and out of more cars than even me (3RS, 3RS4, 2RS, 458, Speciale, etc.). Apreciate the input. TIA!
Old 09-10-2014, 04:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

pm sent
Old 09-10-2014, 04:07 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

short summary: if you have the means and find the right car, get it...worst case if you sell it immediately you won't lose too much because the cars are very rare (especially in the proper spec)

I owned a 3.8 RS for about a year, tracked it a little, drove it on the street quite a bit. Have a 2RS now for about 8 months, have 4 "track days" on it (I put them in quotes because I didn't really push and only ran half days).

The low red-line is really not an issue, the gearing is so tall you're doing ridiculous speeds before you know it, especially for the street.

The car is way more friendly do drive on the street than the 3RS IMHO. It's quieter, more tractable, more torque everywhere and I think it rides softer? Hard to confirm really but it feels more comfy.

At the same time there is a beast lurking within. You're aware of it at all times and tickling the right pedal is all it takes to awaken it. A lot of folks on here say that turbos make the car feel not as raw or engaging and I have to say that's complete hogwash. It's still an RS. The steering wheel is alive at all moments in your hand, the clutch is heavy, the flywheel is light. I can't say enough good things about the car.

I think the market vastly undrevalues them right now (there are 100 less 2RS than 4.0s) so if you have the means I don't think you'll regret it.

I personally like the 2RS a lot more than the 3RS on the street because to most people it just looks like a "regular" 911 so you're kind of under the radar quite a bit.

A tune + exhaust will really get the car cracking if you, like me, find the stock to be not loud and engaging enough

On track it feels just as sharp, agile, and potent as my 3.8RS did. In fact I think the rear end feels a lot more stable when you're driving within the traction limits of course. It definitely does suffer from heat soak, I took it out for a few laps on Friday at Thunderhill when it was 90+ outside and on lap 3 the car definitely wasn't giving me 600hp...
Old 09-10-2014, 04:18 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe T
Looking for some input from GT2RS pilots here. I've been considering going back to the fold (from Ferrari) and buying a "unique" P-car with a manual gearbox. The only friend I have that owned a 2RS didn't like it (redline too low for him) but he also is in and out of more cars than even me (3RS, 3RS4, 2RS, 458, Speciale, etc.). Apreciate the input. TIA!
Since you apparently own a GT3R, I would say GT2/RS as you already have a high redline machine. If you didn't own it, I would say GT3/RS every time - not as fast but who cares - the experience is better and it is fast enough.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Joe T
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input and the pm. Please keep it coming. Yes, the car in the avatar is mine. As such, I am not looking for a race car for the street. Given that my track time is limited by family commitments, when I do get to sneak away, I run the race car so it would be extremely rare to do a track day in the street car.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:30 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

^I was going to ask what you intended to do with it. One of the guys from the group I track with (PCA instructor) bought a GT2RS then sold it after 4 events. I asked him about it and he was not happy with the turbo lag on the track.

If it's going to be a street or collector car, I'd say why not if you can afford it. However, in Texas you'll definitely be getting far less than 620 hp during daytime due to the heat...
Old 09-10-2014, 05:32 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Guess they sold it...but Downtown LA Porsche recently had a GT2RS for about a month...
Old 09-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

You may not like to hear what I am going to say...But about 3-4? months ago I sold my 2008 7GT2 and bought a 7GT2RS (thanks to Mooty).

I would have to say that if you are going to actually drive the car: buy a 7GT2 as they are fun and an incredible value, and seem to keep depreciating! 7GT2 is a better car for street driving and they are so depreciated and frankly lower volumes produced.

If you are going to collect the car then get a 4.0...

If you want a fun fun fun crazy turbo car get a low mileage mint 6GT2. I had one of those for 7 years and they are the best.

The GT2RS does not do anything for me that the 7GT2 did not do for me...just my wallet is thinner and my wife thinks that I have really really lost it this time...

(PS: I have only street driven the RS and it is fast, but is it that fast? It suffers from the some of the same boringness of new turbo cars for me...sorry...)
Old 09-10-2014, 05:38 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

For pure fun on the street, the 2RS is the greatest car Porsche has ever built.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:39 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Disclaimer, I own more than one so write from experience.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:08 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

can't go wrong with a GT2...
Agree with Igooz, for a driver might as well go '7 GT2, or '6 GT2, have the same(or more) fun and save the cash.
For more of a collector item, the GT2RS is probably going to be the best.
If cash isn't a thought, GT2RS and drive it.
Cheers,

BTW, we need some GT2RS pics here guys...

Originally Posted by Igooz
You may not like to hear what I am going to say...But about 3-4? months ago I sold my 2008 7GT2 and bought a 7GT2RS (thanks to Mooty).

I would have to say that if you are going to actually drive the car: buy a 7GT2 as they are fun and an incredible value, and seem to keep depreciating! 7GT2 is a better car for street driving and they are so depreciated and frankly lower volumes produced.

If you are going to collect the car then get a 4.0...

If you want a fun fun fun crazy turbo car get a low mileage mint 6GT2. I had one of those for 7 years and they are the best.

The GT2RS does not do anything for me that the 7GT2 did not do for me...just my wallet is thinner and my wife thinks that I have really really lost it this time...

(PS: I have only street driven the RS and it is fast, but is it that fast? It suffers from the some of the same boringness of new turbo cars for me...sorry...)
Old 09-10-2014, 08:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

With a GT3R in the garage, a GT3RS would make a fun street car to complement it. However, the GT2RS is a better street car and is faster.

I would say yes to a GT2RS.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Go 4.0
Old 09-10-2014, 09:20 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd buy your buddy's Speciale if I were in your position!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 PM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

I would probably go with a plain jane (lol) GT2 in your situation, or even a turbo s (eek). I only have one arrow in the quiver so the GT3 was a no brainer but I would love to have a cup car and a turbo or something else with some ground clearance to poke around the backroads and around town.

Quick Reply: Should I buy at GT2RS?