Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

.1 gt3- minimizing understeer- any feedback re: spacers to increase front track width

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 11:48 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

geez I can't type for crap tonite-- we have a very strong contingent of GT3's in this area that the dealer supports for a lot of track activity-- probably best dealer support I've experienced with regards to track activity since Freddie Baker sold his dealership to Penske several years ago
Old 09-13-2014, 02:09 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

What's the whole alignment setup? Darn do I need to pull out your teeth to find out what's going on with your car? Does your shop have a chart of all the specs? Show us the chart- we can give you a better idea. Mike
Old 09-13-2014, 02:27 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Does your rear look like this? Please give a full chart of current alignment settings. Also forget that wrapping around the wheels when towing that it changes alignment. Been doing that many years wo issue unless my competitor is towing my car. Mike
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2014, 02:36 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Other than monoballs were shocks(revalued) /springs(heavier)? This all matters if u running slicks to optimize slicks. Mike
Old 09-13-2014, 02:55 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't support messing with the track width. I know a lot of people do it but IMO it is possible to drive the car as is very, very fast.

Then again, when porsche did the 997 CupS their main modification from the 997 Cups of the time was to increase front and rear tire size & track width. And aero. And suspension. Somehow there were >100K Euro of upgrades in there lol

So, yes it does work I guess.. but a good alignment will go further and will be a more natural solution to your problems.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:48 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Anyone at Mid-Ohio this weekend? I'm going up Saturday morning.
I'm there parked far corner of middle paddock.

Jim I'll be at the NOR event too.

Track was GOOD yesterday, set a new personal best. Then cracked a rotor. Time to mount spares this morning!!!
Old 09-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
This dealer supports a LOT of track rats. Quite a stock local group of GT3's, RS, and GT2's.There was a big article in Pano a few months ago about a GT3R they built. (Got a ride in that last weekend-- that car was NUTS)
Ok cool then they should know what they are doing. This is not the usual story w dealers.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:34 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

it's got a little bit of aero going on, lots of suspension bits (all spherical bearings, Gard LSD). looking forward to alignment difference.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:41 AM
RamVA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you're on the right track with what you have planned with your tech. Again, I'd probably focus on the alignment before I worried about 14mm of extra track width, but if you want to do it, that probably won't hurt anything.

The picture makes it seem like your camber is not congruent front to rear, which reinforces the diagnosis.

I am not well versed in the aero on these cars (having just moved up from a 996 with stock aero), but it seems to me that having a massive wing in back and no aero changes in the front is going to lead to weak turn in and under steer in faster turns. If the problem you are having is in all turns then I think you are on the right course. If it's only in the fast stuff then I would still check the alignment, but also move back to the stock wing and see what happens.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:45 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

LSD set up?
Old 09-14-2014, 03:56 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
LSD set up?
Besides the alignment and bars that has already been mentioned, in addition to running front spacers which I don't see any negative in if no rubbing occurs, the LSD setup question is real - and I can speak from experience.

My car has a Guard LSD installed at the higher of the lockup settings 50/80 - and it is absolutely something that affects the car - you can feel it - especially when compared to the stock OE setup.

On acceleration, there is very noticeable 'push' on the 'entire' car - but it is unlike the front end push that the car suffered from horribly when I first got the car to the track in 2007 with the 'OE' track recommended setup. The 'OE' track specs from the manual (-2 camber front, -2.5 camber rear), OE sway bars in OE as delivered position (front full soft, rear full hard - and thus no room to further loosen the car) and in my opinion, and many others, the car would just plough like a pig with the OE tires. For me, reversing those camber specs front and rear (and actually dropping the rear camber even further to the -1.8 range) and then adding the GT2 bar is what finally changed the car - it was completely different - it turned.

I will say, that if you are just learning, if is far better to have a car that resists turning but the GT2 bar in my opinion is what transforms the car - and then you can actually stiffen the front bar by one hole as well (this is all on mk1 cars).

An upgraded or higher ramped Guard LSD, in my opinion, just allows you to be more aggressive trail breaking and on throttle at the apex - and while it definitely affects the overall car - it is the bars and the camber that is the culprit in the mk1 wrt the front end push that so many wrote about early on with this model.

A big cup wing, or an RS wing run at very high angles of attack (like my car is set up with) also needs to be accounted for as well - and it is one of the reasons that I kept finding, I think, the ability to run less rear camber than others seemed to run - and also working in combo with the 50/80 LSD.

I would get very even tire wear running -1.75 rear camber, even on Hoosiers, and it all seems to work with a 50/80 LSD and an RS wing at 15 degrees of attack - in high speed turns the car is perfectly neutral and in very low speed sharp angle 2nd gear corners the rear will rotate - I think this is a good combo.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Regarding diffs... My stock diff was toast so replaced with Guard club-sport diff, 60/40 LSD with 88lb break away (not as aggressive as 997gt3north) when I had coolant lines welded. Had car on track last weekend for first time since. No other changes to setup... this is what i noticed immediately:

Before:
bad wiggle on heavy breaking at end of straights, would sometimes upset car and trigger abs
loose back end on tight turns, off camber turns, back end sliding and traction an issue
when calling shop chassis guy his response: get a diff, what you are describing is diff (he was 100% right LOL)

After:
No wiggle, brake and car sets and stops dead straight
Back end is substantially more planted, able to get car turned and get on throttle much harder at apex than prior
I didn't feel any additional push and the planted feeling of the car gave a lot more confidence to get the car in the corner, turned, and back on gas much faster than before, when on the gas the car sticks and turns exactly where I want it to go
Old 09-14-2014, 04:24 PM
limitedslip
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts

Hey guys,

I noticed some understeer with my car and just brushed it off thinking that I just don't know how to drive the thing yet; but upon closer inspection I found that my front bar is set on full stiff and rear bar on full soft.

A little background: I'm a fairly decent driver and can do pretty much whatever I want with a front engined RWD car. Now being new to the 911 world I'm taking it easy trying to learn the dynamics of the rear engined setup.

If I understand correctly though the current sway bar settings on my car are basically set for maximum understeer. The front is too stiff to allow it to bite and turn and opposite on the rear, too soft to turn (Correct me if I'm wrong!).

Thus I was wondering 1) what are the stock settings? And 2) what settings would you recommend I start with to shoot for a more neutral handling with a tendancy oversteer?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2014, 04:28 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

One off stiff rear one off stiff front and adjust front for softer as u go. Mike
Old 09-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by limitedslip
Hey guys,

I noticed some understeer with my car and just brushed it off thinking that I just don't know how to drive the thing yet; but upon closer inspection I found that my front bar is set on full stiff and rear bar on full soft.

Thanks!
Agressive setup. I think if you drive the car very hard into corners to get it to rotate this setup can work (look at TPC Tom thread for example).

Are you in SoCal? Who is doing your setup/alignments?

Going off memory but with GT2 rear bar I have middle rear, 2 from soft front.

Quick Reply: .1 gt3- minimizing understeer- any feedback re: spacers to increase front track width