Old 08-22-2014, 01:30 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sharkster
Ok then....
Wow that is a thing of beauty.

I wonder with so much more smoothness compared to stock 4.0 shaft, would this rev even more freely?
Old 08-22-2014, 01:46 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by m5trol

I wonder with so much more smoothness compared to stock 4.0 shaft, would this rev even more freely?
Danke. Yep it's got some trick oiling and other techniques and a couple of pounds lighter here and there:P

Originally Posted by m42racer
Thanks for posting this Jamie.

Nice to have good information available you can understand. Not many are prepared to share this stuff. Not surprised based on where this came from.
Nice to see you guys on here. I've followed CJV's build (lives not far from me) with your guys stuff since 2003 when we drove it together. It sounds like its going to a monster!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/t...-j-maring.html
Old 08-22-2014, 02:45 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by m5trol

Much of the weight savings is away from the centerline of the crank, further reducing its moment of inertia to make it rev faster. The knife edging and the polishing/coating on the counterweights also helps with windage quite a bit--lets it rev freer and make more power!
Old 08-22-2014, 03:22 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVOMS
Much of the weight savings is away from the centerline of the crank, further reducing its moment of inertia to make it rev faster. The knife edging and the polishing/coating on the counterweights also helps with windage quite a bit--lets it rev freer and make more power!
Ringing bells
Old 08-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In my 4.2L

Old 08-22-2014, 09:33 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alex,

This is a good subject matter and close to home as I had one of these engines built a few years ago.

I’m sure it was his hope that if he offered up some basic engineering, it may be of help to those that are unsure.

Thanks to Jamie he brought that paper to every ones attention. I’m sure Jamie’s intention was not to start a “Crank” p’’’ing match of who’s is prettier, but to inform about the paper. The paper is written and based at a level of engineering most should be able to understand.

With all of the failures of Cam bolts and Pulley bolts coming loose on these engines, removing material from the counter weights seems “counter” to what others are doing with their Crankshafts. Jamie's Crankshaft looks to have material added to the Counterweights. I'm sure this is for a reason.

If you wish to offer your Crankshaft as a comparison then how about offering some engineering data and expertise that can be shared. It would be interesting to hear another opinion especially if they are engineering based.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by m42racer
Alex,

This is a good subject matter and close to home as I had one of these engines built a few years ago.

I’m sure it was his hope that if he offered up some basic engineering, it may be of help to those that are unsure.

Thanks to Jamie he brought that paper to every ones attention. I’m sure Jamie’s intention was not to start a “Crank” p’’’ing match of who’s is prettier, but to inform about the paper. The paper is written and based at a level of engineering most should be able to understand.

With all of the failures of Cam bolts and Pulley bolts coming loose on these engines, removing material from the counter weights seems “counter” to what others are doing with their Crankshafts. Jamie's Crankshaft looks to have material added to the Counterweights. I'm sure this is for a reason.

If you wish to offer your Crankshaft as a comparison then how about offering some engineering data and expertise that can be shared. It would be interesting to hear another opinion especially if they are engineering based.
hi simon absolutely. I consider CJV a good friend over the years. We don't agree on every which path but who cares... I really hope his car turns out the way he/you want and can't wait to get a ride. It's been a long journey but he deserves a good outcome Fun article and I also consider Jamie, Ranger etc... good pals. We've shared information, horror stories and the like over the past while so we're not saying who's is better. I think what we're saying is our approaches whilst different I see advantages vs the easier option of just using the 4.0 crank. As everyone knows I'm not and engineer and just a dumb brit who's spent way too much time and money playing with multiple GT3s however I will say I've been lucky enough to have what I feel is some of the best proven talent such as James/Scientist Shark, John/Todd EVOMS collaborate together and engineer something that just about every engineer inside/outside this project has thumbed up too Article is great and hopefully people buy your crank and pistons etc.. More fun/exciting than what's easier and available from the factory.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:35 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I love it when everyone plays nice, and shares info and stories.
Great thread Gents!

Doug N
Old 08-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It would sure make this passtime more fun if we could share more, but this is often at odds with folks making a living doing this. The intent of posting the article was to share some details on the hows and whys of bore vs stroke, and maybe get a few engine builds...
Old 03-22-2022, 09:06 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
This is a great read for those interested in understanding bore/stroke advantages for street and track engines...

http://performancedevelopments.com/g...-displacement/
Wow, what a great read.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 12:01 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

That crank looks like a thing of beauty!

Gotta ask this brain trust a tech question:

When you build your motors, what do you do with the wrist pin: On center / off center and if off center, is is symmetric side to side or not? Stock Porsche is offset asymmetric (meaning same piston, both sides)

Thanks

Ray

Quick Reply: Bore vs Stroke in a GT3 Engine Build