Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

"Interesting" first track experience with the GT3 (with pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 04:22 AM
speedoflight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as the saying goes... "if you ain't spinnin', you ain't tryin'". especially on (your previous) 6gt3.
just get more seat time. over time you'll save those spins irregardless of car setup and tires you run... unless you run over coolant... i agree with those who said do autox as learning to do car control. or do skid pad. ax gets boring after you do track day though...
Old 08-24-2014, 09:21 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Lots of great advice above. Few things:

1) No spin in 996 TT: it's AWD, correct? Tougher to screw up.
2) Stiff rear bar -> oversteer +/- spin. Stiff front bar -> understeer.
3) R888s heat cycle out before tread is gone.
4) Don't worry, everyone spins or goes off.
5) Instructors should have Chatterboxes to communicate. Shame yours didn't and shame that you got a Camaro (front engine RWD) driver as an instructor.
6) +1 that beginners should be on street tires. R-comps just hide mistakes.
7) Also +1 that street tires are fine for DEs if pressures are managed well. Generally speaking, don't let hot pressures go above 38-40 psi max (I ran lower). I was on street tires for 43 days before moving onto R-comps (now at 72 days). Was able to put down pretty quick lap times on street tires without much drama. Hot pressure management is key.
8) Welcome to your new addiction.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:11 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by m5trol
Where were you thinking of for the alignment and corner balance? Mooty helped out with alignment when I had my car in the bay area but if you know someone who does this for a living I might want to get my car looked at as well.
Thanks again for all the advice guys. Car is back together from the "de-gravel operation" and all is well. Also completely detailed the interior to get rid of all the dust and its now better than when I bought it!

I highly, highly recommend Robert Boreham at Boreham Motorsports in Tempe. Former factory technician and former owner of Redline Motorsports, and was then head tech at EVO before going back out on his own. Lots of experience setting up gt3's and cup cars, and has a very slick "breisbarth" or something like that laser alignment rig.

https://www.facebook.com/rbmwins
(480) 540-3012. Tell him Scott sent you...he will treat you right. Really good guy with a very loyal client base.

Quick Reply: "Interesting" first track experience with the GT3 (with pics!)