Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2011 3.8 RS Pressure Plate Failure = Denied Warranty Claim

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:46 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 997.1 GT3 tranny with 8k miles on it, not tracked. so very good inside. I can part with it for $9500.00
Old 07-31-2014, 11:45 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
If the dealer "assured' you that no modifications had been done to the car and you purchased it based on that assurance, your best cause of action is against the dealer. I would send the owner of the dealership a certified letter, with a copy to Porsche Canada and Porsche Germany, explaining how you detrimentally relied on their assurance that the car was stock giving them 10 days to agree to get the repairs done under warranty. If they refuse, file a formal lawsuit.
Exactly ! Go back to the dealer and politely state your case. The Volkswagen Group can cover this or make the Porsche dealership eat the costs.

If they think you fooled with the car after the sale, they should be able to prove it.

Remember that the quality of a Porsche CPO inspection or a regular used car inspection varies greatly. Anyway, its the dealerships problem to fix.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:36 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Your first order of business is to yank your car from the dealership if your decide to go against the dealership
Old 08-01-2014, 05:08 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Yet another reason to hate stealerships....
Old 08-01-2014, 06:34 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sucks, and I believe you didn't tune the car. However, how can you prove you didn't?

You really need to get a previous owner to admit it.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:40 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by michaellitt
Porsche has denied the claim on the basis that the ECU has been modified.

It is not a CPO car, I had a dealership find it for me. Their inspection assured that no modifications had been done to the vehicle.

My dealer assures me that their diligence was complete. I have no records confirming software modification at any point.
If the dealership scanned the ECU prior to your purchase then there should be a record of that in Germany at PAG that they can confirm via PiWiS?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:09 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

There have been a few of these failures that I know of, only one was covered by Porsche warranty. One of the cars was a CPO car and was not covered

Why weren't these covered under the warranty?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:52 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust

Why weren't these covered under the warranty?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
If the dealer "assured' you that no modifications had been done to the car and you purchased it based on that assurance, your best cause of action is against the dealer. I would send the owner of the dealership a certified letter, with a copy to Porsche Canada and Porsche Germany, explaining how you detrimentally relied on their assurance that the car was stock giving them 10 days to agree to get the repairs done under warranty. If they refuse, file a formal lawsuit.
Unless he has something in writing that specifically states no modifications he will have a hard time. Not sure what state he is from but in NC most used cars are sold "as is" and you typically sign about 5 different documents disclosing that you understand this and that you had the opportunity to have it checked out on your own prior to purchase, etc, etc.
Technically a verbal contract can be binding, but obviously hard to prove.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:45 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Even if he has a statement like that from the dealer. How does he prove he didn't modify the ECU after getting the car?

He has to prove the car was modified when he got it. The only way to do that is to get the previous owner to admit it. It's his only chance other than the dealer admitting they were at fault. That's a long shot.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:13 PM
michaellitt
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

For reference, the car is in Ontario, Canada and is currently at London Porsche.

The first thing I'm going to do this week is issue a formal appeal. Does anyone have an internal contact at PCNA?

I can post photos of the damage later - there's some clear scoring of the bell-housing but I doubt any real damage to the transmission. My guess is that the technician submitted a claim for the whole unit assuming we'd be good under warranty. If (God forbid) I have to go the repair option (sans warranty) I'll definitely be looking for a second opinion.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by michaellitt
It is not a CPO car, I had a dealership find it for me. Their inspection assured that no modifications had been done to the vehicle.
Same dealer did the inspection that's denying the claim?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:03 PM
michaellitt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nizer
Same dealer did the inspection that's denying the claim?
Nope - different dealer.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 PM
cajuncroc
Advanced

I would also ask Porsche to justify, in writing, how an ECU flash caused this failure if there are no over revs, etc. I can understand a denial for a burnt value, injector problems, but not this.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:26 PM
PSK31
Intermediate

Did you receive any written documentation from original dealer who performed the inspection? I think that is where I'd focus my attention. Did they act as an agent for you or the selling party (charge a fee for sale or inspection).

Quick Reply: 2011 3.8 RS Pressure Plate Failure = Denied Warranty Claim