Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My new-to-me 997.1 GT2 [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 02:57 AM
CaptDngr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My new-to-me 997.1 GT2 [pics]

I recently picked up a higher mileage (37k) one-owner 997.1 GT2... Now in service as my daily driver. Yes, I'm crazy enough to DD a GT2.

This particular car was born Black, but got repainted Matte White to match the previous owner's Lamborghini. The paint job is fairly spot on, and it looks great in sunlight... although, I admit, it'd have been preferred if it was left untouched, and remained black.

Here's the spec:

911 GT2
635 Parking Assist System
640 Sport Chrono Package
666 Module for Telephone PCM
672 Navigation Module for PCM
680 BOSE Surround Sound System
78 Black Full Leather
810 Floor Mats in Interior Color
A1 Black
CUR PCM Package Leather
CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
EAA Leather Package Switch Panel
P12 Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor
XMA A/B Pilar/Roof Liner Leather
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
XNG Instrument Surround in Leather
XNS Steering Column in Leather
XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest
XTG Inner Sill Parts/Release-Lthr
XTV Door Finishers in Leather
XXZ Foot Rest Aluminum

Some shots taken at the dealership:

In the first 30 miles driving back to NorCal, I got pulled over by CHP for the tinted taillights; I was going under the speed limit on I5 at the time! When I bought the car, I did it while hating the tint on the tail and head lights.

First order of business after getting up to NorCal? I ordered a pair of DEPO LED Tail Lights + LED Side Markers from Unique Style Racing. I was, initially, worried about the quality, but when they arrived, the worries immediately fizzled. Here's a 50/50 shot for comparison:

Didn't take a full shot with both installed, but as soon as I get 'er detailed, I'll post some glamor shots to this thread. Waiting for a can of Goof Off to arrive before removing the headlight assemblies and stripping the painted on tint there, too.

Prior to purchasing, I did a PPI in SoCal at TRE Motorsports (Van Nuys, CA). Everything checked out. DME report had a tiny bit of range 3's and 4's that occurred 9 engine hours prior, but overall, I, along with TRE Motorsports, were comfortable enough with proceeding.

Range 1 ignitions - 8790
Range 2 ignitions - 1987
Range 3 ignitions - 334
Range 4 ignitions - 59
Range 5 ignitions - 0
Range 6 ignitions - 0

After getting to NorCal, I dropped her off at Modderman Service in Mountain View, CA. Dave Modderman came highly recommended from a few friends, from here on Rennlist, and Yelp. Got to talking to him, he's a pretty cool guy, and quite an enthusiast.

I had Modderman do a full major service for me. He also did a Compression test (wanted to be certain with respect to the range 3's and 4's above), and everything checked out great. I also grabbed an oil sample an sent it off to Blackstone Labs. Here's what I had him do for me:

* Engine oil - Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40.
* Brake fluid flush - Motul RBF600.
* Transmission fluid - Motul Gear 300 LS 75W-90.
* Belt. Spark Plugs. Air filter. Fuel filter. Cabin Air Filter.
* Fresh set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports (my all-time favorite tires).
* Check everything.

Not everything was due (car had 37k miles), but I always prefer to reset everything when buying used... and you can't put a price on peace of mind.

Next order of business is to replace all the interior lights with LED's. Replace the worn out Alcantara shifter with a Carbon Fiber shifter from Suncoast. And, get the steering wheel redone by DCT Motor Sport in Black Leather, Yellow twelve o'clock stripe, extra thick side grips, with flat bottom.

Will also get the Sharkwerks exhaust done, soon enough.

I'm already at 1k miles since purchase, and it's been absolutely amazing. Just one issue has cropped up, which I will report on shortly (this first post ended up longer than I expected!).

Last edited by CaptDngr; 06-15-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:11 AM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratz! The matte white actually looks very good! I would do oem tail lights instead of the aftermarket led's though. But that's just me!

Great car and props for DD'ing it!
Old 06-15-2014, 03:13 AM
CaptDngr
Intermediate

After the first 400 miles of ownership, a weird grinding / rumbling sound appeared in the front left wheel area. Here are some observations:

1) Issue doesn't reproduce until things have warmed up a bit (usually after 10 - 15 miles of driving).
2) Happens whether or not I'm braking, but feels like it's slightly worse while braking.
3) Sounds like a grinding noise, but it's not consistent.
4) Can feel it through the brake pedal, but then again, I feel that you can feel a lot of things through the brake pedal.
5) Gets worse and worse, until it peaks, and remains steady until you let the car rest for several hours (then see #1 above).

I'm taking the car back to Modderman on Tuesday, but was hoping someone here has experienced something similar and could provide some insight on what their specific problem was.

This is my first time daily driving a car with Carbon Ceramic Brakes, and I know they're a bit different from Steel brakes... But, the sound, to me, is similar to the sound of steel brake that have worn through their pads (a grinding sound). Modderman checked the brakes during the major service, no issues were found. Same goes for TRE during the PPI.

Regarding #2 in the above list, I know that CCB's squeak a lot, and mine definitely do. They squeak even when I'm not braking, however, provided I'm driving <15 mph. Is that consistent with expectations?

If that's the case, and they're squeaking because the pads are always close to touching the rotors, then it could be the brakes causing this grinding noise (?). Light squeaking while not braking is consisting with light grinding while not braking. Heavy squeaking while braking, slightly louder/harder grinding while braking.

Still, I'm not 100% convinced it's the brakes.

Some random searches on Rennlist seem to indicate that some of these could be the cause:

- Shock towers
- Sway bar
- Anti-rollbar end link
- Wheel bearings (Modderman suspects this could be it, based on a phone conversation)

Thoughts?

Much appreciated!
Old 06-15-2014, 03:14 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like you have a bit of a boost leak on the right hand side of the inlet Y pipe- probably just a loose clip.

Great car bay the way. Now its been painted you are free to mod to your hearts content with no remorse.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:14 AM
CaptDngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by a_Y
Congratz! The matte white actually looks very good! I would do oem tail lights instead of the aftermarket led's though. But that's just me!

Great car and props for DD'ing it!

Thanks.

I looked for OEM LED's, but it wasn't clear to me that the 997.2 LED's would fit? That's why I went with aftermarkets.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:16 AM
CaptDngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Looks like you have a bit of a boost leak on the right hand side of the inlet Y pipe- probably just a loose clip.
Ah! Good to know. Thanks for pointing that out. Will bring it up with Modderman when I go back next week for the other issue above.

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Great car bay the way. Now its been painted you are free to mod to your hearts content with no remorse.
Thank you. And, indeed! I won't feel bad about modding and DD'ing, racking up the miles...
Old 06-15-2014, 08:52 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for sharing and welcome to a very exclusive club. The matte white looks great.

Originally Posted by CaptDngr
I looked for OEM LED's, but it wasn't clear to me that the 997.2 LED's would fit? That's why I went with aftermarkets.
I too think the aftermarket LEDs look a bit naff on the GT2, the way to do it properly is using GT2RS parts.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:33 AM
CT944
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 111 Posts

Looks great!

Quick Reply: My new-to-me 997.1 GT2 [pics]