997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3

Old 06-07-2014, 12:13 AM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

[QUOTE="Tom-TPC Racing;11418329"]There's more than one way to setup a car. It is my preference to setup the front geometry so that I don't have to run a stiffer rear sway bar for push, which this car had. Not only did I got rid for the GT2 rear bar for the stock .1GT3 rear bar, I also added a stiffer front bar for more rear grip.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:15 AM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Oops... This setup is counter to conventional 911 thinking. Can you explain a little more about your setup and what the car now does as a result of your changes?
Old 06-07-2014, 03:06 AM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mick
Oops... This setup is counter to conventional 911 thinking. Can you explain a little more about your setup and what the car now does as a result of your changes?
Once you get really fast with this car, you'll get it. This setup is only counter to conventional 911 "forum" thinking where most "racing" is done on the street.

My suspension evolution went from full stiff rear, to full soft rear. I thought the car was really pushy when I first got it. If you drive the car timidly it will push through the corners, but once you start braking really late into the corners you realize how much grip the front really has, and how the car likes to rotate. This is where the soft rear bar is helpful to attain as much rear grip as possible. Adding a stiff front bar helps set the car on turn-in. Since all of the weight is on the outside front wheel, this will help keep the grip more evenly distributed over the other 3 wheels and level the car out. Keep in mind that this scenario is during heavy trailbraking.

Sorry if I spoke out of turn here. This setup works though.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:32 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Full soft rear works well in the wet also. Its a V-dub/Porsche trick of old.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:03 AM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

subscribed.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:40 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Coop
Hi Tom, this is a terrific write up! Wishing you a speedy, easy re-build. I am excited to see the finished product. Keep well.
Nice job rescuing this beast and bringing her back to life. Good luck with the project and I look forward to your updates.
Thanks guys. Stay tuned for more update.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:42 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aero997c2s
Thanks Tom, just wanted to make sure!! Glad to see the car is coming along. Hope to see it out at summit soon.
Welcome! I'll be there with Potomac in July.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:46 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thork'sGT3
Hey Tom. Well done and thanks for sharing. Sweat equity and intellegent solutions over just throwing $$$$$$ at a project always wins over in my books.
Quesion: what was the name of the product you used to clean the parts? Simple green and.......?

Brent
Hey Brent. Thanks! I used Berkebile Gum Cutter and Simple Green. The Gum Cutter removes varnish like a champ and remove the skin off my hands too!
Old 06-09-2014, 12:48 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manuxc
Nice work !!

have you any other pics of your setting car stand ?

Thanks!

This is not a setting stand. It is bumpsteer gauge. The car is resting on jack stands in order to check/adjust bumpsteer.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:14 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Protocav
Once you get really fast with this car, you'll get it. This setup is only counter to conventional 911 "forum" thinking where most "racing" is done on the street.

My suspension evolution went from full stiff rear, to full soft rear. I thought the car was really pushy when I first got it. If you drive the car timidly it will push through the corners, but once you start braking really late into the corners you realize how much grip the front really has, and how the car likes to rotate. This is where the soft rear bar is helpful to attain as much rear grip as possible. Adding a stiff front bar helps set the car on turn-in. Since all of the weight is on the outside front wheel, this will help keep the grip more evenly distributed over the other 3 wheels and level the car out. Keep in mind that this scenario is during heavy trailbraking.

Sorry if I spoke out of turn here. This setup works though.
Sorry for not answering sooner. I have been working on my car all weekend without taking breaks. Will have more photos to share after I get some rest.

Protocav is 100% correct. This setup doesn't work good for conventional "text book" driving method taught by many clubs, it'll push like crazy! It is much more common in Pro racing and top Club racers. And advanced level track day guys who either got coached by a pro or had their car setup by a race team to adapt to this driving style. Lally, Pobst, Pumpelly...I worked with these guys they take their braking Deep Deep into the corners. Pumpelly doesn't call this trail braking because the braking taken way Deep while turning that it doesn't fit the definition of the term. He was the first person to call this "Bending the car into the corner".
Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Here's a sneak preview of what I've been working on this weekend. Its far more interesting than out-of-the-box damptronics...
Time to get some sleep.
Attached Images   
Old 06-09-2014, 01:29 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Looking forward to updates!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:24 AM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Bilstein clubsport?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:44 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Here's a sneak preview of what I've been working on this weekend. Its far more interesting than out-of-the-box damptronics...
Time to get some sleep.
Bilstein Clubsports. Great choice, Im doing these as well. Drove the sharkwerks gt3 that has them and the setup is how the gt3 should have come from the factory.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:46 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Default Taking a break from suspension...

This was the shirt I used to clean 7 years of thilth off the alcantara steering wheel and shift ****. Oh, and I changed the clutch too because it was worn so thin that even with the clutch pedal hard to the floor it was very hard to shift. I just put a stock clutch in it and kept the stock flywheel because I can't afford to buy anything else after the shocks& springs. The shifting was improved with a new clutch.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3