Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

BUYER BEWARE - Cobalt Blue 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:44 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Porsche Vancouver has a similar car for sale. Cobalt Blue GT3. Beat. Been for sale for a year now. Friend of mine checked it out. Came back with a mile long list of "deficiencies". I suppose the moral of the story is to avoid cobalt blue 997.1 GT3s
Old 08-18-2017, 09:58 AM
andrewdr
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't get this confused with my car which has been very well maintained and properly cared for.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
Porsche Vancouver has a similar car for sale. Cobalt Blue GT3. Beat. Been for sale for a year now. Friend of mine checked it out. Came back with a mile long list of "deficiencies". I suppose the moral of the story is to avoid cobalt blue 997.1 GT3s
That car was auctioneer and had paint work....I passed.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:55 PM
jasonturbo
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
That car was auctioneer and had paint work....I passed.
The CB 997.1 GT3 @ Porsche Vancouver is an absolute wreck, even if you only paid 80K CAD you would still be paying too much.

I'm amazed that they have that car sitting the showroom, send that piece of junk to auction already. I can't imagine what Porsche NA would say if they saw the condition of that car and knew it was for sale at a dealer, never mind on display.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Sounds like an awesome car for a project I'm considering...

not a US car originally though? What are they asking?
Old 08-18-2017, 01:26 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Sounds like an awesome car for a project I'm considering...

not a US car originally though? What are they asking?
$122k CAD. Which is a joke. But so are all car prices in the Vancouver market.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Not sure what the big deal is with these bagged cars. Buy it for the right price and make it right. Some of the people in this thread obviously haven't restored REALLY old Porsches. You would be surprised how damaged and worn out a car can be without earning a salvage title. A '67 911S with the front half rusted off is still a '67 911S and will be priced accordingly.

So the previous owner tracked it and banged it up. Buy it right, make it right.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:34 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Catorce
Not sure what the big deal is with these bagged cars. Buy it for the right price and make it right. Some of the people in this thread obviously haven't restored REALLY old Porsches. You would be surprised how damaged and worn out a car can be without earning a salvage title. A '67 911S with the front half rusted off is still a '67 911S and will be priced accordingly.

So the previous owner tracked it and banged it up. Buy it right, make it right.
Read the thread. The "big deal" is the dealers are not disclosing any of the damage. I can almost understand this if you were dealing with a private seller, but when you're dealing with a Porsche dealer you should expect them to be 100% forthright (especially when talking about this level of damage). With that said, it seems as though the delta between this expectation and reality is wide. Case in point: this CPO'd, "no collisions or paintwork" car I checked out last summer. The front bumper is not even within 10 shades of the rest of the car.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Catorce
Banned

Ah ok, I missed the dealer hiding it part somewhere in there. Understood.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:46 PM
jasonturbo
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 28 Posts

Regarding the Porsche Vancouver car:

- Car spent most of its life in Ontario, it's "well seasoned" aka corroded bolting and hardware all over the car
- The entire car was repainted, overspray on window mouldings, undertrays, inside fuel door, and on door weatherstripping
- Obvious masking tape line in door jambs from re-spray
- Paint is in rough shape, full of swirl marks and blemishes
- Rear bumper lower retainers torn on both sides, hanging on by 1/3 screws on each side
- Rear bumper paint stripped in wheel arches from rock chips
- Rear bumper paint lifting near exhaust tips, approx. 6" x 6" area
- Rotors are near the end of their life, major heat cracks between vent holes and deep grooving from pads
- Dent in underside chassis behind front driver side wheel, likely went off a track or hit a curb at some point etc
- Window mouldings are sun baked
- Rock chips on headlights and indicator lights
- Clearcoat runs on leading edge or hood, masking tape line on underside of hood from re-spray
- Condensation in rear left tail light
- Interior smells like poor people
- Curbing on wheels
Generally the body is just in really poor shape, every panel had issues. I never asked to take the car for a drive but I assume it would drive fine.

Car also had the Fabspeed intake and exhaust which I feel are both low quality pieces.

If I recall correctly there is also a 23000$ claim for rear hit early in the life of the car, pretty sure it's a US car.

The dealer had an invoice for something like 7K worth of body repairs made to the car after they had acquired it, they've had the car in their possession since Oct 2016 or something foolish. Hard to know what's under the body panels but I assume if you look hard enough you'll find some not so pleasant surprises.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by jasonturbo
Interior smells like poor people
Best. Line. Evaaaaar!!!
Old 08-21-2017, 12:09 PM
garage5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WantA997
Read the thread. The "big deal" is the dealers are not disclosing any of the damage. I can almost understand this if you were dealing with a private seller, but when you're dealing with a Porsche dealer you should expect them to be 100% forthright (especially when talking about this level of damage). With that said, it seems as though the delta between this expectation and reality is wide. Case in point: this CPO'd, "no collisions or paintwork" car I checked out last summer. The front bumper is not even within 10 shades of the rest of the car.

I've seen cars in showrooms with delivery miles on them with poor paintwork, well the paintwork work was pretty good, but the color match was off to the point of laughter that it sat in a Porsche showroom.. I read an article years back regarding the amount of cars shipped from overseas that see paint work before they have even hit the showrooms from mishaps while loading/unloading. If its less than x amount of the value of the car the company is in their right to fix and sell it with no mention.

The article mentioned the big three, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes. Don't quote me on any of this my memory is not what it used to be at the bright ripe age of 35 lol.

All that being said, I have an Individual M4 showing up this week, i am going through it with a fine tooth comb before I take delivery.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:41 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason thanks for posting the info on the Vancouver Cobalt blue GT3. That is really disappointing. I can only imagine the amount of tire kickers they have had in the last year.

For future searches: WP0AC29907S793002

https://www.porschevancouver.ca/inve...etallic+794551
Old 09-07-2017, 03:48 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TouringTeg
Jason thanks for posting the info on the Vancouver Cobalt blue GT3. That is really disappointing. I can only imagine the amount of tire kickers they have had in the last year.

For future searches: WP0AC29907S793002

https://www.porschevancouver.ca/inve...etallic+794551
That place really sucks
Old 09-27-2017, 10:02 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Looks like it's back. It caught me attention and I just happened to Google the VIN and came across this thread. Is this the same one?

Last 4 of the VIN: 3052

https://theluxuryautohaus.com/invent...997%20C2%20GT3

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911

Quick Reply: BUYER BEWARE - Cobalt Blue 997 GT3