Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:58 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm, I was strongly considering a BendPak 4-post, as well. But now after reading your comments, Alan, I'm less sure.

Anyone know what the leading winner in lifts is these days? (If not BendPak.)
Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 AM
RamVA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I bought a BendPak 4-post last year, primarily because it fit perfectly in the space I had for it. It was not first on my list because I was dubious of the air locks. Sure enough, they have been a constant issue. BendPak keeps coming out to replace stuff, but it still won't hold air for more than 3-4 days. Other things: The dimensions on their website do not take into account all of the associated hardware to run the lift, the sheathing that runs from the motor to the lift is too short and constantly tries to rip out the hydraulic bottle, and the ANSI certification - which was a big deal to me - goes away if you remove the ramps (which you need to do in order to park a car underneath). So, while I am happy every day that it keeps one of my cars from landing on another, overall I am not a fan.
Funny enough, I've had a bunch of the same issues, but would buy the same lift again.

- I, too, bought this lift because it fit my space perfectly - I thought. We had to mount the controls on the forward side of the post to get it to fit, which stretches some lines, but it works.
- The lines don't hold air for a full day, but I just power up the compressor every time I run it and haven't thought twice about it (until now).
- I am able to run (some) cars under it without removing the ramps - barely.

At the price, for my use, and for my space I still think it's the best answer. I've had it for 3.5 years.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a direct lift 4 post, great deal on it. Bendpac is good but a little $$. I use it for everything changing oil,tires, exhaust and storage.
If you have the height, then install a high lift garage door, this gets the motor and rails higher than normal. for the clearance to get another car under it.

I would go with the symmetrical lift if its a 2 post. Pad the hell out of the posts and no worries when opening doors.
Good luck

[IMG][/IMG]

See how high the rails are? Much higher than the 9' door. The car is within 1" of the opener, until it's lowered onto it's rest locks. No tension on cables
Old 04-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Get rid of those chain drive garage door openers, and install a jackshaft system like the Liftmaster 3800. No more center rails.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Get rid of those chain drive garage door openers, and install a jackshaft system like the Liftmaster 3800. No more center rails.
Good idea..

very expensive for a homeowner..

It wouldn't make a difference in my case. I have the carrier beam that is the limiting factor
Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Good idea.. very expensive for a homeowner.. It wouldn't make a difference in my case. I have the carrier beam that is the limiting factor
Not really expensive I have one and love it.

http://www.garageintel.com/8500.html...FZNqfgodAyUAPw
Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Err, I meant Liftmaster 8500. But it seems a 3800 is similar.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I recently had liftmaster 8500s installed as well to prep for the 4 post lift. Agree that cost is not significantly greater.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Oh wow, those are the way to go. When my 20 year old unit dies, that's what I'll get:-)
I was talking more industrial versions my friend installs.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:36 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Oh wow, those are the way to go. When my 20 year old unit dies, that's what I'll get:-) I was talking more industrial versions my friend installs.
Easy solution give a 2 year old the opener it will die real fast after 100 lift cycles!!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I recently had liftmaster 8500s installed as well to prep for the 4 post lift. Agree that cost is not significantly greater.
Sweet now I know where to get my fluids rotors etc changed
Old 04-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

TRY WORTH
Old 04-09-2014, 01:08 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 468 Likes on 189 Posts

I did a ton of research before buying our lift, and the one thing that kept coming back to me was that a LOT of the smaller companies make big claims and never deliver. I can't tell you how many phone calls I've had or forum posts I've seen regarding somebody giving their credit card # to one of the smaller companies and never getting a lift.

I ended up going with Bendpak. Very happy overall. Just starting to have issues with leaking air lines, but other than that it's a quality lift. And a quality company.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:12 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by eurotom
Sweet now I know where to get my fluids rotors etc changed
Wait. What? LOL.

Anytime, man.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:14 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by switchcars
I did a ton of research before buying our lift, and the one thing that kept coming back to me was that a LOT of the smaller companies make big claims and never deliver. I can't tell you how many phone calls I've had or forum posts I've seen regarding somebody giving their credit card # to one of the smaller companies and never getting a lift.

I ended up going with Bendpak. Very happy overall. Just starting to have issues with leaking air lines, but other than that it's a quality lift. And a quality company.
I will say that Greg Smith equipment backed up my friend's atlas 4 post lift with excellent service when one of the lines got accidentally caught and broke.

Quick Reply: Lifts