Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 RS suspension quality/options?

Old 03-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Ducktail
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997.1 GT3 RS suspension quality/options?

Hi all,

I've just purchased a 997.1 GT3 RS, I haven't driven it extensively yet, so I'm not placed to comment on the quality of the suspension. However, knowing myself, I tend to be very demanding when it comes to suspension quality.

AFAIK, the mk.I generation 997 GT3 (RS) doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to its suspension, is that a correct view? Again, I haven't been able to try it out myself.

The car will be used mostly on the Nordschleife and B-roads, occassionaly at Spa as well. I've been very happy with the Intrax-setup on my CSL, is that a proven option for the GT3 as well?

Any other insights and options are most welcome, a picture of the car below.
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

intrax
moton/MCS
jrz
ohlin
Old 03-11-2014, 08:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

exe-tc
Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Nice pumpkin. Wish our bumpers didn't have the extension on them, so much cleaner.

Personally I'd get it aligned and balanced well first, figure out what you like or don't like and work with a local shop that can fix those issues. The common things are: rear GT2 bar to dial out understeer, inner lower mono ball links, rear toe links with locking plates, heavier front spring rates.

Personally I found the stock .1 suspension fine for the street and 'softer' than my Ohlins setup (which is setup quite stiff). The compliance/control is another issue, including on the street, the Ohlins blows away the stock setup for aggressive mountain/canyon driving. I did not like the stock pasm sport setting at all on the street, was jittery and un-drivable to me. Never tried it on track.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:26 AM
Ducktail
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Nice pumpkin. Wish our bumpers didn't have the extension on them, so much cleaner.

Personally I'd get it aligned and balanced well first, figure out what you like or don't like and work with a local shop that can fix those issues. The common things are: rear GT2 bar to dial out understeer, inner lower mono ball links, rear toe links with locking plates, heavier front spring rates.

Personally I found the stock .1 suspension fine for the street and 'softer' than my Ohlins setup (which is setup quite stiff). The compliance/control is another issue, including on the street, the Ohlins blows away the stock setup for aggressive mountain/canyon driving. I did not like the stock pasm sport setting at all on the street, was jittery and un-drivable to me. Never tried it on track.
Solid advice, thanks a lot!

I would indeed work step by step, was just curious to hear your experiences with the stock suspension vs. upgrades.

Indeed, the US bumperettes are such a shame, they really ruin the shape. I'm sure you could delete them and buy a Euro-bumper?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 AM
Gauss
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm looking into upgrading mine as well.
This one is high on my list: KW Clubsport 3-Way

http://http://www.kwsuspensions.de/kw-gewindefahrwerk-clubsport-3-way-inkl-stutzlager-10425.html

also exists for the 3.6 and it's been developed/optimized for the Nordschleife.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 AM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What affect do aftermarket suspensions have on the onboard activation system (i.e. console buttons) and it's ability to be used to control the new suspension set-up. Any Mf's more compatible than others.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:13 AM
Ducktail
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gauss
I'm looking into upgrading mine as well.
This one is high on my list: KW Clubsport 3-Way

http://http://www.kwsuspensions.de/kw-gewindefahrwerk-clubsport-3-way-inkl-stutzlager-10425.html

also exists for the 3.6 and it's been developed/optimized for the Nordschleife.
Hi Gauss, good to have you here as well. I'm thinking along the same lines, I've had KW Clubsport before and came away impressed. Manthey also uses them afaik.

(Frank)
Old 03-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

Don't over look the Ohlins R&T (DFV) Clubsport setup. If quality is what you want, then it doesn't get any better than this. I've found this setup to be outstanding on both road and track, with a very wide range of adjustment. Virtually identical spring rates as the KW Clubsport....~500#/800#

Also, you won't find any clubsport kit in the price range that also includes a high speed blow off valve....which is what the DFV is. Great for curbs, quick transitions, and bumpy roads.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,422 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducktail
Hi all,

I've just purchased a 997.1 GT3 RS, I haven't driven it extensively yet, so I'm not placed to comment on the quality of the suspension. However, knowing myself, I tend to be very demanding when it comes to suspension quality.

AFAIK, the mk.I generation 997 GT3 (RS) doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to its suspension, is that a correct view? Again, I haven't been able to try it out myself.

The car will be used mostly on the Nordschleife and B-roads, occassionaly at Spa as well. I've been very happy with the Intrax-setup on my CSL, is that a proven option for the GT3 as well?

Any other insights and options are most welcome, a picture of the car below.
Call Manthey Motors in Meuspath have them install their KW ring tuned setup.

DONE.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blackbull
What affect do aftermarket suspensions have on the onboard activation system (i.e. console buttons) and it's ability to be used to control the new suspension set-up. Any Mf's more compatible than others.
You have to have your friendly dealer fire up his PIWIS and disable PASM AFIAK none of the aftermarket suspension with the exception of the Bilstein Damptronics are PASM compatible/enabled.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Ducktail
Advanced

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Call Manthey Motors in Meuspath have them install their KW ring tuned setup.

DONE.
Sound advice, they're my first stop with my car. I've made an appointment with them to have the car properly aligned for the Nordschleife, will discuss suspension with them whilst there.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ducktail
Sound advice, they're my first stop with my car. I've made an appointment with them to have the car properly aligned for the Nordschleife, will discuss suspension with them whilst there.
combine the trip ... get them to install and align at the same time ... that way you save yourself the cost of an (unnecessary) alignment!

p.s
going to be at the Ring 4/30-5/4 come along and meet some other RLer's if you are in the hood!
Old 05-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Ducktail
Advanced

It's been a year since opening the thread, meanwhile I've taken the jump and ordered the full Manthey KW-Clubsport suspension.

Delivery next week, the car will be setup up and aligned by themselves.

Impressions and pictures to follow soon after:
Old 05-26-2015, 01:21 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have KW V3s on mine for twos now- love them both on road and tack.

Also have their lift kit on all four corners so I can make like a monster truck i.e US OEM spec ride height!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 RS suspension quality/options?