Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

(Numeric) Cup Cables - rattling noise normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:27 AM
hershann
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default (Numeric) Cup Cables - rattling noise normal?

Have searched the forum on cup cables & noise - some says significant noise, some says very minimal.

Just want to check if the noise I am getting is normal - yet to decide if I want to switch back to stock.

So just swapped to a set of the numeric racing shifter cables with metal ends (with a thin plastic cup coupler) - the shift action is much nicer and crisper.

However, the noise issues is a little bothersome - not sure if I can live with it day to day. On idle the LWFW sound is amplified but perfectly acceptable. Its the rather significant rattling noise on accel and deccel (like a higher frequency LWFW noise, or a can of marbles rattling) that is irksome. There is a slight whine but thats perfectly acceptable. At cruising - these is a slight rattly noise but is prob only 10-20% of that when accelerating so is also acceptable.

I did try to use all the OEM rubber and plastic isolators.

Wonder if the noise is normal and if there is anything else I could do to attenuate it.

Yes - if I turn up the music I could prob drown it out but it would also mean an overall more noisy environment when I drive.

Don't really want to return to the vague feeling stock cables.

thanks

her shann
Old 02-09-2014, 08:50 AM
GTRNICK
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This what I read on 6speed that the Numeric cup cables cause extra noise and even though I have a new set sitting here it puts me off fitting them.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:56 AM
dawgdog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't find the increased noise bothersome, especially relative to the noise from a semisolid transmission mount. The noise from the numeric cable is less than cup cables. The semisolid transmission mount was too much for me as it made driving on the street uncomfortable.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:05 AM
hershann
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the noise from the semisolid transmission mounts are significantly more intense - however it does improve the shift action, improve the response of the car when getting onto the throttle and improve the rear end stability.

Even with those positive attributes - I could not stand the noise for a street car.

her shann
Old 02-09-2014, 03:49 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Been there, done that. Regretted it once I put the car back to street duty. Waaaaay too loud.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:42 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

the cables are way louder in my car. The numeric shifter and cables just remove any vibration attenuation and damping from the system. Engine & Tranny bushings are the way to go to fix shifting issues. I put in the medium spec transmission bushings and it made a huge improvement in shifting - but it still could be a bit better, maybe solid bushings are the way to go.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:19 PM
superfast02911
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the OEM 996 cup cables in mine, along with solid engine mounts (no trans mount change). Also, FWIW, I run the stock dual-mass flywheel. I get the same noises-so I don't think its exclusive to the Numerics. My exhaust is so loud that I really dont notice it that much anymore :-)
Old 02-10-2014, 04:26 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,160 Posts

Originally Posted by superfast02911
I have the OEM 996 cup cables in mine, along with solid engine mounts (no trans mount change). Also, FWIW, I run the stock dual-mass flywheel. I get the same noises-so I don't think its exclusive to the Numerics. My exhaust is so loud that I really dont notice it that much anymore :-)
Haha Same situation for me, I have basically track pipes after the cat so the cable noise is drown out by the loud exhaust.

Quick Reply: (Numeric) Cup Cables - rattling noise normal?