Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Sell my e90 M3 and Cayman S for a 997.1 GT3? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/781082-sell-my-e90-m3-and-cayman-s-for-a-997-1-gt3.html)

StevenStone 10-13-2013 02:32 AM

Sell my e90 M3 and Cayman S for a 997.1 GT3?

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and need some advice.

I currently have a 2010 e90 M3 and 2007 Cayman S. I daily drive the M3 and feel it’s best overall performance sedan made. I’ve owned the Cayman almost 4 years and use it as my special weekend car that I take out once a week and a couple DE’s a year. Even though it’s significantly slower than the M3, I just feel more connected to it and feels like a true sports car.

I have always wanted a 997.1 GT3, even before I bought the Cayman. I have never driven one, but imagine it’s like my Cayman, but a lot more hardcore and faster. Ideally, I am searching for a more hardcore and visceral driving experience over my Cayman for weekend runs. More speed is not important.

However, in order for me to justify the $45k+ difference to upgrade to the GT3, I would need to sell my M3 and replace it with something more modest like a Camry.

Is the GT3 that much better than the Cayman S as an occasional weekend fun car to make up for the misery of daily driving a Camry instead of my V8 M3?

Thanks!

m5trol 10-13-2013 03:08 AM

No.

Targa Tim 10-13-2013 03:22 AM

if you are not always driving your Cayman at 10/10 during weekends, then I would rather have a Cayman S and an M3 in the garage.

a GT3 is not enough to make up for driving a Camry 5 days a week. I don't think any car will make that up.

ChrisF 10-13-2013 04:11 AM

Have owned a Cayman S and spent 1300 miles in an M3 last weekend. Both are fantastic cars but the GT3 is an entirely different animal. I can't say I'd be willing to put up with a Camry as a DD to own one though. Try to find one to test drive but beware if you do. I've yet to meet someone who's driven one and didn't want to switch.

tcsracing1 10-13-2013 12:45 PM

If the Cayman is a DFI, keep it and upgrade the motor to a 3.8L DFI.

The GT3 is fun, but for now you have two really nice cars that each serve a purpose.
Save your money, but if you must, get the RS :)

ShakeNBake 10-13-2013 01:17 PM

Keep the m3 and cayman.

Please don't buy a Camry/if you have one get rid of it and buy nice bicycle.

P.J.S. 10-13-2013 02:03 PM

As soon as you mention Camry... No...

996FLT6 10-13-2013 02:06 PM

Keep both. Cayman S if dialed rt very fast on track. You got 2 nice cars- keep them. Mike

Jake951 10-13-2013 02:39 PM

I went from a Cayman S to the GT3. Compared to the Cayman, the GT3 is raw, visceral, and noisy. It gives you a much better feeling of being connected to the car and to the road. And obviously the GT3 is much faster, and it's the ultimate track tool. The Cayman is more refined as a street car and is considerably easier to drive quickly. For long road trips, I would pick the Cayman because the noise and stiffness of the GT3 can become fatiguing.

You need to drive the GT3 to decide if it's for you.

globed 10-13-2013 02:49 PM

Coming from someone who used to change cars more often than his hockey buddies changed underwear...

I'd keep what you have, great combination... I hope the M3 is a 6 speed?

That said, if you really can't help yourself... find a more fun daily car than the Camry... lots of stuff out there. Whether it be a pickup or Jeep to bounce around or an older sport sedan.

montoya 10-13-2013 04:16 PM

You have two great road cars that can be converted to great track cars. Pick one to make into your track car. If I was you, I would mod out the Cayman for the track and keep the M3 for the street. The M3 is one of the best all around cars ever, and the four door is a keeper.

In short, no- a Camry is a no go. If you must scratch the itch for the GT3, which I understand, and need to sell both, then look for a decent 328 6 speed E46 or E90, you will be much happier. A little suspension work and while not an M3, it's still a lot of fun to zip around in everyday.

dawgdog 10-13-2013 05:52 PM

I went from a heavily modded e92 M3 to .2 GT3RS. Love the RS but the M3 was an incredible car. My brother has an 07 Cayman S modded by Cantrell Motorsports and it is a monster. It has an aftermarket turbo kit, Brembos, JRZ, custom bar, Guard's diff, Recaros and the list goes on and on. He has a lot of money in the car but the car is so balanced and easy to drive fast.

I would keep the M3 and mod the Cayman.

LVDell 10-13-2013 06:57 PM

The last thing you want is a bucket full of suck for your commute every day. At least spend that time in a car you will enjoy. I've thought about that a few times since the gas mileage in my daily driver is horrible (Audi S6) but I think, the hundred bucks or so, I'd save a month in gas is nowhere worth the smile it puts on my face when I head to/from work. If I wasn't in a place financially to have my S6 for my DD and the GT3 to toy with on the weekends, I'd be very happy with a M3 and CaymanS/R

KurtF 10-13-2013 10:43 PM

As an owner of a GT3 which I ride both on street and track, I say do it. The car is brilliant. the Cayman and the M3 are really nice cars. You already know that. Something deep down inside is whispering to you GT3. It will take a few months, a few thousand street miles, and a few good track days and then you will start to get it. There will be no regrets. To many who know, this car is the Holy Grail.

As far as more modest cars go you can do much better than a Camry. Even on a budget there are much better choices for people like us. My winter car is a VW and while it doesn't stir the soul like a Gt3 it's far more fun than a Camry!!
What ever you do, best of luck.

Mvez 10-13-2013 11:46 PM

Don't do it.

Terrible time to buy a GT3 right now. You're buying at the very top of the market. Wait until lots of current GT3 owners start getting spanked by new 991's, and then the dealer volume will grow, then prices will come back down to earth.

You CANNOT replace what you get from an E90 M3 with a GT3. They are so completely different. IMO, keep the E90, save up the 45K over the next year or so, then sell the Cayman and buy a .1 GT3. Don't bother overspending for a bubble wrapped garage queen. Buy one with 20,000 miles, and enjoy. People live in lala land thinking 20K is "high" miles for these cars, especially if you plan to actually use the car.

A happy garage is one with a GT3 and an M3.

monk46 10-14-2013 12:03 AM

My garage is very happy. I realized a dream and purchased a 997.1 GT3 in LA a month ago. It is the best driver's car I have ever driven. I have the E90 M3 and the 2007 Cayman S, which I thought would be dispensable after the GT3. I was wrong. The Cayman is not as visceral, not as powerful, but an excellent drive even post GT3. I'm keeping it.

My daily driver is WRX - all in at 26K and I'm sure quite a bit more satisfying than Camry if you go that route.

Keep the CS and M3.

StevenStone 10-14-2013 01:08 AM

I appreciate all the good advice guys.

I was also probably exaggerating when it came to the Camry. The point I was trying to make is the budget for my daily driver would be seriously limited if I replace the Cayman with a GT3.

I am very happy with my CS and M3 combo. However, the GT3 is my dream car. Sounds like I need to drive one to see if it's everything I expect to be.

jackb911 10-14-2013 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by StevenStone (Post 10828157)
However, the GT3 is my dream car. Sounds like I need to drive one to see if it's everything I expect to be.

It was my dream car as well. Do understand that you will never explore it's limits on the street but even at sane speeds, driving the GT3 is a far more visceral, involving experience than any other recent Porsche. They are special cars and command the prices they do for a good reason.

I'm probably biased but I believe the 997.1 version is the best bang for the buck unless you are afflicted with RS envy. If that is the case, prepared to spend an additional $20-30K for an otherwise equivalent one.

Before I got mine a few months ago I was considering buying a new Cayman S but a good friend's pristine GT3 became available at the right time and at a fair price, so the choice was a no-brainer. I couldn't be happier.

Yes, drive one!...It's definitely a different experience than a garden variety 997 or 991. Porsche deleted the novocaine from the GT3, which will make you smile every time you drive it. :cheers:

AudiOn19s 10-14-2013 12:47 PM

where are you located? Details on the E90?

9972RS 10-14-2013 01:24 PM

I say go for it. The GT3 can be daily driven

mwscircle 10-14-2013 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mvez (Post 10828019)
Don't do it.

Terrible time to buy a GT3 right now. You're buying at the very top of the market. Wait until lots of current GT3 owners start getting spanked by new 991's, and then the dealer volume will grow, then prices will come back down to earth.

You CANNOT replace what you get from an E90 M3 with a GT3. They are so completely different. IMO, keep the E90, save up the 45K over the next year or so, then sell the Cayman and buy a .1 GT3. Don't bother overspending for a bubble wrapped garage queen. Buy one with 20,000 miles, and enjoy. People live in lala land thinking 20K is "high" miles for these cars, especially if you plan to actually use the car.

A happy garage is one with a GT3 and an M3.

See highlighted above.....

2nd paragraph is also right... HAHAHA what is not right from this post above!

StevenStone 10-15-2013 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s (Post 10828868)
where are you located? Details on the E90?

2010 White on black 6MT
Premium, cold weather and tech pkgs, enhanced audio and 19's
Located in Northern California

Not ready to market yet though.

Modena 1 10-15-2013 07:28 AM

Interestingly enough I am in similar position as the op. I have an e90 m3 (6spd) I have had for 3 years and loved. The car is really good. I have driven many cars and it is amazing.

Now my commute is 2 miles to the train and some around town stuff on weekends. I have found a .1 gt3 but I will have to sell my e90 for it. I know the gt3 is amazing but this is a harder problem than you would think. My thought is to replace my "train car" with a mini or a old rover or something and have the gt3 for weekends.

But as the op I think was getting at, that s65 engine is special whether you drive it two miles per day (in my case) or more in his case!

I am really on the fence about gt3 ownership. If I get this thing and it's amazing but I scrape everywhere and leak here and there etc meanwhile I am drivin a pos daily I will severely miss my beastly sedan.

cds4402 10-15-2013 11:09 AM

I used to daily drive an E36 M3 (in one state where I work), and used the Cayman as a weekend car (in other state where I go to on the weekends). Hit some ice and totalled the M3. My brother convinced me to buy a used Honda Fit (he works for Honda), which is now my daily driver. My will to live has plummetted dramatically since then. Don't buy a Camry.

Drew_K 10-15-2013 01:37 PM

I had a Cayman S before I bought my 997.1 GT3, and had them both for a few months until I was able to sell the Cayman. Both great cars but, for me, the difference was the Cayman was nice, the GT3 was special. Personally, I would have rather have a special car + mundane daily driver over 2 nice cars.

F1CrazyDriver 10-15-2013 05:02 PM

It depends. If most drivers around you are idiots then i can see why a commuter car.

I use to live in the city, so my smart was perfect. Cheap to maintain, fun ride, fun in the dhill twisties, RRWD. I like it so much i got the wife one. Two smarts in the stable. My primary commuter for now...hopefully soon to change with my gt3 incoming.

Inrev 10-15-2013 05:14 PM

Just did the switch myself, from 09 CS to 07 GT3RS and couldn't be happier. I was in love with my Cayman S but the RS is something else... I wanted an RS for the color/wide body/noise and also the rarity of the model thinking it will keep better value than a regular GT3 IF I'm ever silly enough to sell it. I drive a very average Ford Escape Limited as a DD and I don't mind it, love the low cost, practicality and the not giving a crap about scratching it. Makes for a good contrast and makes driving my GT3RS that much more special. I do drive it to work on nice days though so it's not like it's sitting in the garage for weeks on end.

996FLT6 10-15-2013 07:24 PM

Have a smart cart running as my commuter- u cannot beat it in the city. Perfect city car. Mike.

Fisher 10-16-2013 02:04 AM

Haven't driven a CS or M3, so my opinion doesn't mean 'jack'.

Since I got my 7.1 GT3, 3 years ago, I don't have a desire to drive or buy anything else.

utkinpol 10-16-2013 01:30 PM

major problem with any p-car as a DD is that it attracts too much attention. I would never leave it on a daily parking lot next to train station or in other questionable places unless you do not care if your car gets keyed, or gets dents. etc. you got to be quite selective of where you drop it off and how it`s parked. any bmw including m3 does not really have this problem.

tgavem 10-16-2013 04:43 PM

Everybody here got good points. The other things to consider is that even with a car in prestine condition, it will cost $$$$$ more to maintain and set up. Even if you only use it in good weather, the GT3 is more sensitive to alignment than the Caymen so an immediate check is required. In addition, the coolant fittings are a known potential failure and if car was tracked new LSD may be required, and a few other maintenance items that will be required on a 5yr old car.
I think everybody can agree, if you dont have a healthy budget for maintenance, stay with what you have or look at the new Cayman.
Good luck and let us know the outcome!

George from MD 10-17-2013 05:05 PM

I would say do it. I did much the same thing but I had a 96 993 and a 2008 911S. I don't regret it and while I wish I could have kept the 993 I own my dream car now. It really is better than both of them put together IMO. It's also less insurance, less maintenance and less to worry about.

Para82 10-21-2013 10:06 AM

Don't give up both cars for a GT3.

Maybe it would be more affordable to keep the M3 and trade in the Cayman for a 997S...

I guarantee you will miss that high-revving V8 quite a bit.

StevenStone 12-28-2013 03:00 AM

Decided to keep my M3.

The fate of my Cayman is unknown. How much more driving enjoyment and involvement does the 997.1 GT3 offer compared to my Cayman S excluding the obvious power difference? Considering my limited budget, would a 997S be closer to the GT3 or Cayman from a driver's car perspective?

ChrisF 12-28-2013 03:10 AM

No comparison. Owned a CS for 2 years and traded up to the .2 GT3. NIGHT and DAY. On my favorite high speed track (AAA Roval) it was worth 7 seconds between the increased power, aero and confidence. Cayman was on R compounds as well with light mods.

tasman 12-28-2013 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by StevenStone (Post 11007224)
Decided to keep my M3.

The fate of my Cayman is unknown. How much more driving enjoyment and involvement does the 997.1 GT3 offer compared to my Cayman S excluding the obvious power difference? Considering my limited budget, would a 997S be closer to the GT3 or Cayman from a driver's car perspective?

If you can find a GT3 to drive that will be the best way for you to answer your question. good luck

surlynkid 12-28-2013 11:46 AM

Coming from a somewhat modified E92 M3 to a 997.2 GT3, there is no comparison on the track. It is simply a whole magnitude of difference. There is no way I could daily drive the GT3 though. I think it would rattle my teeth loose.

008 12-28-2013 11:52 AM

I had an 08 Cayman S for three years and an 11 E92 M3 for about 9 months. M3 had an amazing engine and makes a great DD but not a lot of fun on the track though it held up much better than my E46 M3. I was starting to get worried about the CS motor as it saw a lot of track time and the pre09 cars are prone to oil starvation. I considered buying a 997 GT3 but ultimately went with a 991S 7MT. Very happy with my decision so far and am looking forward to getting in on track soon.

Leigh2 12-28-2013 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by StevenStone (Post 11007224)
Decided to keep my M3.

Good decision to keep the M3 you need a good DD with some spirit...

Consider going to a 996 GT3 from the Cayman. Cheaper buy in and one of the most exciting raw drivers cars out there. I don't think the 7C2S would be enough of a difference from your M3 to give you the same thrill the 6GT3 will. When budget allows jump to a 3.8 7.2 GT3

khooni 12-29-2013 09:09 AM

I would go the 7.1 Gt3 and sell both m3 and cayman S.

The DD would be a decent hatchback (not camry).

In fact, I keep thinking about selling my boxster spyder for a 996 Gt3 or 7.1 Gt3. My 7.2 RS is getting too precious to track and I know how awesome a GT3 is.