Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Poll: Who here tracks their car w/ traction control + PSM turned on? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/776931-poll-who-here-tracks-their-car-w-traction-control-psm-turned-on.html)

P.J.S. 09-19-2013 08:02 PM

I am TC off all the time at the track... in fact I wish the car did not have TC so I did not have to keep turning it off... and sport button... why not let me select the default to "on"... that would be nice...

Jamie_GT3 09-19-2013 08:21 PM

Just do what I'm doing and put a Syvecs plug and play in it. Then you can do anything you want!

Larry Cable 09-19-2013 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum (Post 10773008)
Then would a good chunk of people agree that the older 996GT3 without all the nannies take more skill and is more rewarding in the end. Especially if that end had the GT1 punched out to 3.9?

YES...

The 964(RSA), 996.1 and 996.2 cars made me a (much) better driver ... the 6.2 is a rewarding challenge to drive fast ...

I'd trade my left b*ll (hell maybe even both of them) for a 996.2 RS...

mooty 09-20-2013 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum (Post 10773008)
Then would a good chunk of people agree that the older 996GT3 without all the nannies take more skill and is more rewarding in the end. Especially if that end had the GT1 punched out to 3.9?

thought i said this since 2007

bhgt2 09-21-2013 07:36 AM

I'm between beginner and intermediate, and I always keep them on. It only kicked in once, otherwise I would have spun out. A friend spun out in the exact same spot in hit GT2 and hit the wall, so better safe than sorry. I'm not looking to break any records.

tgavem 09-21-2013 01:02 PM

I like the reading and I know I'm in the wrong forum. :-)
Did you ask the instructor why? Could be as simple as evaluating you on; traffic control, car management, flags, turn in, exit etc. With the nannies off, easier for instructor to feel the car mid corner and exit and how you are managing it when the car is not settled. We are all there to be safe for our selves and others. So drive the car 8/10 with all off with the instructor in the car. Then when you are alone, have it all on.

Mine does not have any nannies and why I'm driving on street tires, AD08R, my insurance for early warning and controlled slides. :-)

Nick Wong 09-21-2013 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by rja (Post 10771601)
When you say, 'SC' I think you mean PSM. AFAIK, PSM and TC are either both ON or both OFF for our cars. I have the EVOMSit tune as well but am unaware of any changes it makes to TC or PSM.

No, I mean SC or SC+TC. I do not have a PSM button.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5100/...b2d53162_b.jpg

malmasri 09-22-2013 08:18 PM

^ Gen II cars has them ....
Sometimes I turn the SC off but I leave them both on most of the time and don't really notice them working much, I also hire a pro who leaves them on while driving....

Qwickrick 09-23-2013 02:20 PM

As a senior instructor, I don't want to be in the right seat with a green or yellow student when they run out of talent. To me, PSM means Porsche Saves Me as I've had two near incidents this season when PSM saved us from a possible incident. Most instructors know when the nannies are making the student a better driver than they actually are. If I'm doing a checkout ride for advancement to a higher run group then it's drivers choice.

rja 09-24-2013 03:23 AM

This is the reason I drive with the 'nannies' on -- driver hits coolant or oil. I've got nothing to prove. Save the nanny-free driving for racing e30 $hitboxes and the like (no ABS either on those in race-prep).

rja 09-24-2013 03:24 AM

BTW, you should never get out of car like this after crash unless on fire!!

ChrisF 09-24-2013 11:07 AM

I am going to go out on a limb and say PSM will not save you if you hit oil or coolant. Anyone have first hand experience ?

2BWise 09-24-2013 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisF (Post 10782239)
I am going to go out on a limb and say PSM will not save you if you hit oil or coolant. Anyone have first hand experience ?

I can not claim to know how Porsche requires their system to be tuned, but remember these are street calibrations first and foremost. It will have been tuned to work in warm and cold and snow and ice. Therefore, it is highly probably that PSM is able to recognize that half the vehicle is on a low co surface (oil/coolant) and the other is on a high co surface. Now, I'm not sure how well that would work at higher speeds, but it may give you a chance to keep the vehicle out of the wall. In the end it is going to be driver dependent. If you're looking for ultimate lap times then you'll probably want the system off, but if you're not then it's completely up to the driver whether he wants the added safety net or not. If I am instructing some one new (new to me even) then I would want to ride along with the system on. I want that added safety net until the driver has proven they don't need it.

rja 09-25-2013 01:23 AM

I am going to go out on a limb and say PSM will not save you if you hit oil or coolant.
No guarantees but no doubt better chances of a save with PSM than without. If you read up, one of the responders attributed a save from coolant / oil to PSM.

996FLT6 09-25-2013 01:55 AM

^n