Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Comment on PASM Failure Diag on .1 RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Default Comment on PASM Failure Diag on .1 RS

Hi all, about 2 weeks ago I was backing out of my garage and a PASM failure note popped up on the dash and suspension went into firm mode. Discovered if I started car and selected firm before moving, no error. Tried pulling battery cable, letting it sit, and error reappeared.

I had the car in for an oil change and had the dealer look at the issue and it looks like it has been fixed. Suspension is now working as expected. Here is the wording from the diag:

"Cause: Fault in pasm is due to low battery voltage. Hook up HHT tester. Fault in pasm caused by low voltage. Relearned all systems and reset adaptations and values. Recommend battery maintainer. Used tester to check fault memory and found all faults likely due to low voltage. Found that the steering angle sensor lost its center value but has relearned it. This is likely due to the battery voltage going low. Reset adaptations and values. Recommend use of a trickle charger, maintainer"

Here's the deal: I do use a CTEK and it is working fine (validated w/ volt meter) and batter has tested fine.... so wondering if this was some sort of quirk / glitch that HOPEFULLY won't reappear! :-)

My question for those here... I've done some digging and I found nothing on this, except an older thread on planet9 that looks like the issue was never really resolved.

Thoughts on this?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:50 PM
RSMC
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I having the same issue now, and trying to troubleshoot. Did the code show up as an error in a specific corner (e.g., front right shock)?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

RSMC, unfortunately I didn't dig into that level of detail with the dealer. I don't have a durametric so couldn't see the errors myself and my generic odb2 reader showed nothing.

In my research on this warning, I found most references pointing to: shock failure, pinched wire/wire issue, PASM module failure, and only 1 example that references the low battery diagnosis. If the error reappears I suspect there may be more to the issue.

This is the thread I found:
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...ge-issues.html

And another with some similar ideas thoughts

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...m-failure.html
Old 06-17-2013, 01:10 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had some weird electric gremlins due to a loose battery terminal. One day I was driving the car and when I fired her up the gas tank gauge went straight to zero and my hazards started blinking. I also had a TCS PSM failure light come on one day after working on the car with only the wheels off. Light went away shortly after driving though.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

How old is your battery? If you are using a trickle charger and have low voltage issues, it is time for a new one.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Battery is 2 years old, "load tested" OK.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Who tested it? If it were my car I would have a new battery for sure, a lot less then spending an hour at the dealer.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:00 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

I had issue similar to yours with my 997 Carrera's as well as my VW Touareg, a new battery solved all the electrical issues
Old 06-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NorthVan
I had issue similar to yours with my 997 Carrera's as well as my VW Touareg, a new battery solved all the electrical issues
Had to have someone with a porsche computer fix the error issue, but the price for them to diag/fix/test was less than a new battery. (if you can believe that!)

Dealer tested it. Yeah, I may just do that...I've had same experience in my BMWs and MINIs.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:46 PM
RSMC
Advanced

Bump. Anyone else have ideas on what may cause this type of behavior?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 97 Posts

Had the same error, after which many of the dashboard warning lights lit up. GT3.1. Alternator failure - once alternator was replaced, problem completely disappeared. So it seems like battery/alternator issues can indeed cause the fault.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Error reappeared today after a month of no issues. Car sat for a week on charger, so battery is good, car starts w/o issues. Pulled out of driveway, about 1 mile from house at 20mph "PASM Failure" warning pops up, shocks go stiff. No way to stop the error. Stop car, restart, error is gone, within 10 feet of driving it comes back. No other errors or lights on the dash. Another observation: If i start the car and turn on sport suspension (stiff), and then drive, no errors. But, if I go into a bumpy corner hard and maybe ABS is kicking in slightly, the error will pop up again.

Will get codes scanned again this week.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:22 PM
RSMC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Error reappeared today after a month of no issues. Car sat for a week on charger, so battery is good, car starts w/o issues. Pulled out of driveway, about 1 mile from house at 20mph "PASM Failure" warning pops up, shocks go stiff. No way to stop the error. Stop car, restart, error is gone, within 10 feet of driving it comes back. No other errors or lights on the dash. Another observation: If i start the car and turn on sport suspension (stiff), and then drive, no errors. But, if I go into a bumpy corner hard and maybe ABS is kicking in slightly, the error will pop up again.

Will get codes scanned again this week.
Interestingly enough, this is exactly the behavior I was seeing. Turns out the shock was just bad. It's been replaced, and I've had no errors since. Good luck with your diagnosis.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

RSMC, how did you identify the specific damper that was bad? When the codes were pulled last time I don't think it indicated a specific shock... did those codes show for you?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 07:46 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had TC+SC failure note , a new battery solved it

Quick Reply: Comment on PASM Failure Diag on .1 RS