Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Laguna at 105db - what can I get away with?

Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Waiting for sharkwerks race exhaust.....

Name:  image-1772720378.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  511.9 KB
Old 05-14-2013, 04:19 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ have you no decency. dont show me your a**, put the skirt back on.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:55 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Du Bist So Schmutzig (und Doch So Schon).
Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

We just completed DYNO testing results of our new equal length headers with HJS German tri-metal catalytic converters on a COMPLETELY bone stock 997 GT3 RS............stock 2ndary mufflers with valves stock rear muffler. +25HP and +32ftlbs down low. Gains across the RPM band.

Next up our rear Maxflo dual mufflers that add a true +5HP over the stock 997 GT3 center muffler. With this 3.8liter the gains may be higher and much more that typical pipes.

Email alex@fabspeed.com and rob@fabspeed for dyno results. These are very special HJS catalytic converters Proprietary for Fabspeed designed for 700+HP Mp4-12C cars.

My recommendations for 997 GT3 owners depending on sound and weight considerations. Everything is modular and you can build a system to you liking.

MODERATE sound version
Fabspeed's race exhaust Moderate Sound version--for any and all 997 GT3 / GT3RS cars would be our headers with sports racing catalytic converters, stock Porsche valved mufflers, and rear Maxflo mini mufflers. Each and every one of these parts are street , race track and Dyno proven to virtually outperform any other brand with no CEL lights. The 997 GT3 headers are limiting these cars big time.

RACE version loud and super lightweight>
Fabspeed's race exhaust LOUD aggressive Sound version--for any and all 997 GT3 / GT3RS cars would be Fabspeed headers with sports racing catalytic converters, left and right side muffler bypass pipes, and rear Fabspeed Maxflo mini mufflers. This 2nd system would be the very lightest most powerful system with NO CEL lights but would be loud but strong and fast as hell.

Each and every shop that buys and test my 997 GT3 headers knows this and there big power by eliminating the GT3 factory headers.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 05-14-2013, 06:41 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Du Bist So Schmutzig (und Doch So Schon).
u listen to some rather strange music.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Joe: Make a center muffler that is 92 dB with a side muffler delete (89 dB with the turn downs, no drone) and this, to me, would be the ultimate exhaust. I'd buy one the day I buy a GT3.

(side muffler delete with a good center muffler seems like the best low weight, more power option, but there's no point if you can't use it at noise regulated tracks)
Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yargk
Joe: Make a center muffler that is 92 dB with a side muffler delete (89 dB with the turn downs, no drone) and this, to me, would be the ultimate exhaust. I'd buy one the day I buy a GT3.

(side muffler delete with a good center muffler seems like the best low weight, more power option, but there's no point if you can't use it at noise regulated tracks)
it's been done already and it's called M&M, and it's made in Germany .... and on top of it makes power, proven on a dynojet dyno on a 3.8 and 4.0.

Fabspeed, I'm up to the task, let me know your exhaust and I'll test against my M&M, f it doesn't make the same power, you pay double or vice versa ... in ????
Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DRL,

Sharky track exhaust will be about 110 db
Side muffler delete with center & cats will be 103 db
Side muffler delete with center & NO cats will be 105-107 db
Old 05-16-2013, 03:35 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about side muffler delete to custom 2 way hook up to existing Shark bypass? Too much pressure loss? Or block the top portion of shark bypass and connect the bottom with elbow?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:08 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

how about just run stock and lift as you go up the hill.
too much work...
Old 05-16-2013, 01:51 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friends solution.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2013, 02:13 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
how about just run stock and lift as you go up the hill.
too much work...
I love Laguna Seca. It's a short track but technical and the elevation change and crock screw is tons of fun but I am growing tired with the stupid sound sound restriction - some time even down to 90 db!? For what reason and why? That's lower than the noise coming from regular road.

This will most likely be my last year running at Laguna Seca. I have battle the ridiculous sound restriction for several years and growing tired. I have seen people's rear bumper melt from diversion exhaust pipes and even blow a hole in the muffler just to combat the ridiculous sound restriction. If Laguna Seca does not change and allow reasonable race track sound level (such as 103 db at Thunderhill and Sonoma) then I will bring my car and hard earn money somewhere else
Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt3'er
They need to stop building homes next to race tracks, or something...
This bothers me. Laguna Seca has been there since '57. Why is it that homes being built in the last ten years have been a problem all of a sudden? Who moves next to a race track and demands peace and quiet. IT'S A RACE TRACK!

Originally Posted by mikymu
If Laguna Seca does not change and allow reasonable race track sound level (such as 103 db at Thunderhill and Sonoma) then I will bring my car and hard earn money somewhere else
Easiest place to make them wise up is in their wallets.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:58 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by X2daC
This bothers me. Laguna Seca has been there since '57. Why is it that homes being built in the last ten years have been a problem all of a sudden? Who moves next to a race track and demands peace and quiet. IT'S A RACE TRACK!

Easiest place to make them wise up is in their wallets.
Apparently there are some interest group that are pushing their agenda with sound limit at Laguna Seca

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/127571/

I did a Track day last weekend in my car at Laguna, we arrived very early & was givin the chance to talk to Joe from Track Masters & the conversation led to how Laguna was sending flyers out to track day vendors on the validity of lowering the sound limit to 90db & how interested they would be in running days at that level, you can imagine his response to them...

Anyway, after a little more conversations with other people & my own investigating I found out that My Old Buddy Mike Weaver (President of the Highway 68 Coalition) He apprently blew a Gasket when he found out SBK was returning next year & went to county & had them pull up every sound record for 2012.... Anyway looks like he is threatening to sue if they don't lower the limit to 90.... & I guess you can thank Skip Barber racing for this, if what Im told is accurate, They apprently told Laguna seca, when they took over from Russell school, that they could operate at a 90db level, but were never able to meet it...

This whole thing pisses me off, I know this guy, He has No Money, he was a used car manager at the dealership i worked at, He didnt buy his house, he inherited it, The total membership of the Highway 68 Coalition is 7 people, How can 7 People have so much influence WTF, if I were the county I'd say Sue Me, Knock yourself out... Can you imagine the Revenu Laguna could generate for the county if the limit was raised to 100db, Heck even at 95db, 95db is the decibel limit on public roadways, Im told, if this is accurate info that would mean a Race Track has a lower sound limit than the Highway to get to it, How does that make any sense?

I don't know about you, but I think we should all band together & start our own Coalition & let our voices be heard, you want to know why 7 people have so much influence, because No One is there to oppose them, Maybe if 700 people, 7000 people or 70,000 people stand up to 7 the county will listen..... What do you guys think...

Thoughts
PainterDude, Dec 6, 2012
Old 05-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Apparently there are some interest group that are pushing their agenda with sound limit at Laguna Seca

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/127571/

I did a Track day last weekend in my car at Laguna, we arrived very early & was givin the chance to talk to Joe from Track Masters & the conversation led to how Laguna was sending flyers out to track day vendors on the validity of lowering the sound limit to 90db & how interested they would be in running days at that level, you can imagine his response to them...

Anyway, after a little more conversations with other people & my own investigating I found out that My Old Buddy Mike Weaver (President of the Highway 68 Coalition) He apprently blew a Gasket when he found out SBK was returning next year & went to county & had them pull up every sound record for 2012.... Anyway looks like he is threatening to sue if they don't lower the limit to 90.... & I guess you can thank Skip Barber racing for this, if what Im told is accurate, They apprently told Laguna seca, when they took over from Russell school, that they could operate at a 90db level, but were never able to meet it...

This whole thing pisses me off, I know this guy, He has No Money, he was a used car manager at the dealership i worked at, He didnt buy his house, he inherited it, The total membership of the Highway 68 Coalition is 7 people, How can 7 People have so much influence WTF, if I were the county I'd say Sue Me, Knock yourself out... Can you imagine the Revenu Laguna could generate for the county if the limit was raised to 100db, Heck even at 95db, 95db is the decibel limit on public roadways, Im told, if this is accurate info that would mean a Race Track has a lower sound limit than the Highway to get to it, How does that make any sense?

I don't know about you, but I think we should all band together & start our own Coalition & let our voices be heard, you want to know why 7 people have so much influence, because No One is there to oppose them, Maybe if 700 people, 7000 people or 70,000 people stand up to 7 the county will listen..... What do you guys think...

Thoughts
PainterDude, Dec 6, 2012
If you can rally the volunteer workers, set up a 501c3 or 501c4 and there's plenty of people in silicon valley willing to write a deductible check in december and retain some track junkie litigators to get those faaking housewives to go on prescription drugs and realize they bought their McMansion next to a historic race track that was there decades before they decided on a career path of sucking gray haired ***** and married their sugar daddy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Laguna at 105db - what can I get away with?