Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

how difficult are GT3's to drive in the city?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default how difficult are GT3's to drive in the city?

I currently own a '97 993 Turbo. Do (997.2) GT3's drive "rougher" than the 993 Turbo? Am I going to feel every bump on the road driving to the office? Is it easier to shift gears given the car's technology is 14 years newer?
Any other pro's and cons to consider?

THanks for your thoughts
Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

You will feel every bump, and your coffee will spill everywhere! The GT3 shifter is very tight and notchy. I'd say your 993 turbo is a softer driving and easier shifting car. Test drive is only way to truly tell.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:28 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

The GT3 clutch pedal is heavy, and the car makes no power below 3500rpm.

The ride is comfortable but like the poster said above it will shake rattle and roll a coffee in the cup holder.

The low front splitter is also a pain in the *** as it scrapes every speed bump and driveway entrance/exit.

The 993 has soft suspension, soft clutch pedal and lots of ground clearance.

I love both Porsches for different reasons and wouldnt part with either of them.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:21 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have a Moton equipped and has all the rubber removed from the suspension. I have track seats, and shorter gearing. It will rattle your fillings, and I think it makes a perfect DD. It zips in and out of the traffic when need be, and allows you to work on the smooth shifting in stop and go traffic. The best part is, I am in the GT3!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:29 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Very rough as a dd. You might wanna ck out 997tt, hot right now.
Thinking about a move?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:36 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
I currently own a '97 993 Turbo. Do (997.2) GT3's drive "rougher" than the 993 Turbo? Am I going to feel every bump on the road driving to the office? Is it easier to shift gears given the car's technology is 14 years newer?
Any other pro's and cons to consider?

THanks for your thoughts
Everything in a GT3 is stiffer. The clutch is about 2x the effort. The shifter needs a mighty hand, particularly on cold days. The steering is stiffer, but more direct. The suspension is substantially stiffer and there is a pretty substantial ride difference. It will scrape a lot around town and you will go through front spoilers, particularly as you learn how to navigate over bumps. Fortunately, they are easy to get and not that expensive (prices went up, so they are about $250). To be honest, if you aren't looking to get one to drive on a track, I would recommend a Carrera S or Turbo to just drive around the city. They are simply a lot better for that purpose.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I have a 997 c2 and my .1 rs. It's like night and day difference. Hadn't driven the c2 for a couple weeks. Detailed it today and took it out. It feels so soft compared to the GT3. That said I can't get enough of the rs. I could totally dd it. That noise!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 AM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I daily drive my GT2 in a city. No complaints, aside from scraping the front everywhere, but it's just a plastic part. See if you can test drive a rennlisters!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

How far is the commute if you DD? If you do a lot of city driving it can get annoying like any manual cars that is low. Just avoid steed entry and exit driveway. I've seen some gt3 owners that take their front spoiler out and drive around. Looks a bit odd bit but you won't scratch.

Clutch = you will get used to them. Now if I drive a turbo, clutch seems like it has no resistance or pressure.

You get as much power as a carrera under low rpm. Gt3 shines when u rev up to 5k and up and the sound is intoxicating.
If you aren't going to track the car, any non gt cars will be suitable. Still beautiful fun cars to own.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Pulse quickens more without coffee when driving the 3 compared to my C4S. Driveways, ramps, no ferries unless you have nose lift or check tide tables?!; watch pavement ruts and near potholes to avoid more closely than in an SUV (LOL). Avoid the steep hills in Seattle , though. Sound is intoxicating, however.
Stop and go or gridlock not fun in any manual car for sure.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

It think it is safer to drive as a DD because there is no need to try to talk on cell phone or listen to stereo. The drink holder will hold the cup but not the contents. Love everything about it. Perfect car for one person in the car.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Personally, I can only tolerate my 3 for very short distances. Driving in stop and go traffic is a major chore since the clutch is much harder and the gearing so precise. Long distance drives that have no twisty roads, to me, are not tolerable due to the high cabin noise level. I love my Cayenne Turbo or MB350 for the DD and long distance drives. Now given all that I have said, the GT3 is where my soul and passion reside. Track days and twisty roads is what this car is all about. The Turbo is a very competent track car but more appropriate for daily use. As previous posters have already mentioned, test drive the car in the types of conditions that you are likely to encounter on your daily commute.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I think you can DD a GT3, but you can't have it as your only car...unless you're boring and have no other interests/hobbies, never go to Costco, or play any sports, etc. It really is a useless car, as I like to joke.

My 997.2 is my only car (aside from my company vehicle)...but I find myself borrowing my gf's X5 keys frequently.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can DD a GT3 if you have to. The clutch is heavy but the take up is very smooth, and the engine does seem to have a good degree of flexibility. The shifter has a nice "click click" action to it, which I prefer to any Carrera I've driven. The front lip scrapes everywhere. The ride is incredibly stiff, but in the end it's the cabin noise level that bothers me most. It's very boomy and there's always a ton of transmission noise. It can be tiring on a longer journey, to the extent that I have to wear a headset or earplugs.

If the sun is shining and there's a curve in the road, it's the car I want to be driving.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 PM
DLJ
Racer

Lots of good advice and info. provided by everyone. I don't have a daily commute, but would agree that, like driving any manual in stop and go commuting, it would be easier to just take an auto SUV (that would serve double duty hauling people, sporting gear, pothole and off road use,etc.). However, the pump you get from the 3 experience is so rewarding. I've not driven a 993, but compared to my old SC, the 3 is downright comfy. Add the extra hp and there's more fun and adrenaline pump to easily skip the coffee. I so appreciate what's been engineered into the car, and the design esthetics,etc.. It has the true soul of a Porsche that is irreplaceable ( and largely unmatched in their newer lineup). So if you can only have one, I'd pick the 3.

Quick Reply: how difficult are GT3's to drive in the city?