Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

how difficult are GT3's to drive in the city?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

I had a Laguna Seca Blue M3 a little over 10 years back and I had a problem selling that car iirc. The pool of buyers is very small for a color like that.

I bought a 2011 GT3 almost 4 weeks ago. I flew to Boise and drove it back to Portland. The road roar is louder than I expected and the ride height is very low. I have no problems with the ride of the car. Imo not a DD but that's not what I bought it for. Weekend blasts in the twisties and possibly a few DE's are in my future.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
I had a Laguna Seca Blue M3 a little over 10 years back and I had a problem selling that car iirc. The pool of buyers is very small for a color like that.

I bought a 2011 GT3 almost 4 weeks ago. I flew to Boise and drove it back to Portland. The road roar is louder than I expected and the ride height is very low. I have no problems with the ride of the car. Imo not a DD but that's not what I bought it for. Weekend blasts in the twisties and possibly a few DE's are in my future.
Mooty has probably bought and sold more GT3s than anyone...so I'll pass on his advice to me: "If you ever want to sell the car in the future, avoid jelly bean colors. Everyone always talks about how cool they are, but when its time to buy, no one steps up to the plate."
Old 05-07-2013, 12:26 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

the best part of my day is driving my GT3......you will love it
Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

whats wrong with Jelly Been colours
Old 05-07-2013, 01:09 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In my case, I don't drive often in downtown Houston, mostly commuting on highways with good access. I take my GT3 where I know I can park w/o dealing with crazy ramps and have plenty of space to park.
As far as driving, is firm but not harsh at all. Very drivable daily, obviously not the best option for a DD.
Anyway I love it and drive it on the streets a lot. When I go to unknown or busy places I drive something else (RR or Bimmer).
Old 05-07-2013, 01:42 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by TNetworks
Nothing practical about driving this car in the city, at least not in San Francisco. Take your eyes off the road long enough to check an address and you risk a blown tire on a manhole cover you never before thought to avoid. Then, again, there's nothing practical about owning a GT3, but dang is it fun.

stop looking???
Old 05-08-2013, 10:01 AM
almeena58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is very difficult...
It is very low
it has hard clutch pedal
it has brake noises
it hates stop and go traffic
it likes speed cameras so smile in front of each one
i think the best DD 911 is the Turbo and the best track 911 is GT3
Old 05-12-2013, 03:41 AM
Sune
Advanced

Then I got My first Gt3 I was in doubt if I should get the 996 Gt3 or the 996TT It ended up being the Gt3 and I am so happy for that now. Not the Turbo is not Nice but I Just like the Gt3 much now it is an real Experience to Drive it is for pasionated people. I was Driving My 996 Gt3 as a DD The first Summer I had it, it was a blast ever time the trip was less than 45 min. You need to appreciate the fact that You are Driving rough Car and need to slow down, to as close You will get, to a complete stop for clearing the speed bombs. In Denmark The Gt3 does not Work so well in the winter so I need a other DD here, now I am Driving the Gt3's then the weather is Nice etc.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:19 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts

I think there are a lot of good responses and I would agree with the masses on this topic. The one additional and significant factor is what city? I live in the NE so to me city means...Philadelphia, NYC, DC, Baltimore etc and these cities are a nightmare in a Range Rover let alone a 3 pedal car. Between the congestion and terrible roads from harsh winters driving a GT3 daily takes patience and commitment that I just don't have.

My S4 (for sale btw) has a soft clutch and enough torque for easy stop and go but when it takes you 25 minutes to cover 5 miles in rush hour traffic even an easy clutch and great car just becomes a nuisance.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:22 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts

Randy M,
This is of no value to you now unfortunately but Laguna Seca M3's probably draw about 10% to 15% premium today. The further you get from certain cars and the more of those cars that get wrecked, tracked etc. the better the value of the stock, original, rare color car.....depends on the car of course.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sune
Then I got My first Gt3 I was in doubt if I should get the 996 Gt3 or the 996TT It ended up being the Gt3 and I am so happy for that now. Not the Turbo is not Nice but I Just like the Gt3 much now it is an real Experience to Drive it is for pasionated people. I was Driving My 996 Gt3 as a DD The first Summer I had it, it was a blast ever time the trip was less than 45 min. You need to appreciate the fact that You are Driving rough Car and need to slow down, to as close You will get, to a complete stop for clearing the speed bombs. In Denmark The Gt3 does not Work so well in the winter so I need a other DD here, now I am Driving the Gt3's then the weather is Nice etc.
Hi Sune,

Nice collection.....PS: I also own a Golf..which year is yours?

Anyway, coming to the question: yes a GT3 can be driven in the city...even at relatively moderate consumption...but when we say "easy" or "difficult"..compared to what? Compared to a Ferrari or compared to a Bentley?..with all three you might have problems finding a parking in Paris or London.

Of course my daily driver (audi) is a better DD..but I did not buy a Gt3 or GT2 to replace my Audi. So a GT3 is for sure not the best DD..but is for sure one of the best weekend cars..
Old 05-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Sune
Advanced

Hi Porsche Collector,

Thanks a lot:-) The Golf is a 2007 Here is a link with some more info:
http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listin..._in_dubai.html

Since I Don't use the Gt3 as a DD any longer, I bought a older Volvo Xc90 as a DD and to tow a trailer with the Gt3's or other Race Cars. I am very happy with the set up and it kept the mileage down on the Toy:-)
Old 05-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Sune
Advanced

What I meant was: Get the Gt3, If You find it to rough as a DD buy an older Car for DD and and You Will still be smiling driving that then You know You also have a Gt3 You can Drive when ever You want to:-)
Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas

If you can afford a GT3, I would first move to the country where it can be driven properly.

Get a Prius to waste commuting amongst the rat maze.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:45 AM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i support the idea that you should drive your amazing car as often as humanly possible. if you can drive it everyday, do it. that said, in my experience owning a 997.2 GT3, the machine has limitations. a big part of what makes it such a brilliant track car is also what makes it a tricky choice as DD. the low ride height, the stiff dampers, the must-have sport buckets, the super-sensitive carbon brakes, the heavy clutch. you want your 911 to have all of these things...unless your 911's only job is to thrash around the city streets. i found that the 997.2 GT3 was so nice of a car, i became unreasonably protective of it. the car gets tossed around pretty good on rough roads. it's not at all designed to tolerate ****ty streets. driving the GT3 quickly became much more of an event than an automobile commute should be. sipping coffee on the way into downtown is out and sitting in traffic on the expressway sucks. the car will certainly do it, but at what cost? you'll trash rims, you'll worry about parking it, you don't get coffee and winter time is out. i loved the GT3 more than any car, ever. but, it's a 3rd or 4th car. the Turbo would be the appropriate DD street car. hell, if you know how to properly drive, the Carerra is probably the best street 911.

Quick Reply: how difficult are GT3's to drive in the city?