Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tire choice: Super Sport or RE-11. Weekend car + 4-5 HPDE/yr.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
18x8.5/9 and 18x12. Nitto NT01. Done.
George Forman guarantee satisfaction? =)
Old 03-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kormaster
That is an important endorsement, thanks.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
18x8.5/9 and 18x12. Nitto NT01. Done.
+1

OP, nothing wrong with NT01's for that early Sun morning country road jaunt, as well. NT01s can do both track and road as long as you avoid rain and slow down when it's unavoidable. If you can accomodate two sets of wheels, then NT01s for track, MPSS for road (perfection).
Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks all, I ended up having a set of Super Sports mounted yesterday. I think they're the right tire for me this time around and worth giving a try on this car. As a bonus the cashier handed me a Michelin rebate form that started just yesterday. Buy 4 tires and get a $70 Visa card in the mail.

Aside, if anyone has interest in a fairly new-ish set of rear PS2's 305/30/19 (dated 2011) I'd let them go for a song. I hadn't realized until they were unmounted how fresh and unworn they were. My fronts were original and low on tread though so I just did all 4 SS.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:42 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I own and like both PSS and RE-11s (and RS-3s), but I'd really want to get the new Dunlop Sport Max Race if I were you. If you drive in the cold or wet you can't swing it, but if you drive where and when it's warm you could pull it off.

PSS are the best street tire, as others have said, but the they don't last as long as you'd think. They get hard fairly quickly as they get older, and will chunk at that point if you're pushing them, see the upper edge of my last rears:

Thus if you're pushing hard the useful life of the RE-11s isn't as much shorter as you'd think based on tread wear.

The Dunlops need some heat, but they come in your size and are much faster than either of the other options, and I suspect also more progressive over the limit. I'm very tempted to get a set instead of the PSS for my summer tires, anyway, but they just came out so you'd be one of the first to run them.
Odd that you had that experience. You're the first one I've seen the tires do that. A lot of factors ie alignment, tire pressures, etc etc... Maybe just a bad batch?

Originally Posted by kormaster
Absolutely!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Curtis T
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by AWay
Thanks all, I ended up having a set of Super Sports mounted yesterday. I think they're the right tire for me this time around and worth giving a try on this car. As a bonus the cashier handed me a Michelin rebate form that started just yesterday. Buy 4 tires and get a $70 Visa card in the mail.

Aside, if anyone has interest in a fairly new-ish set of rear PS2's 305/30/19 (dated 2011) I'd let them go for a song. I hadn't realized until they were unmounted how fresh and unworn they were. My fronts were original and low on tread though so I just did all 4 SS.
AWay,

Like you, i at that point where i need to decide on tires. How are the SS? I have the p-zeros on my CS and they are fairly noisy, so wondering if the SS are quieter.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I just had a new set of SS rears installed today. First set finally corded on the inside edge.

These tires are whisper quiet, versus the Toyo R888 which will make you want to put pencils in your ears to make the droning stop.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Haven't done enough miles myself (only about 10!) to make a proper judgment on the Porsche.

I've had the SS for a year on my daily GTI's summer wheels and they have always been great on the road. The track is more of the question mark as I don't drive that car hard enough on a daily basis for them to prove themselves in that regard.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas

Originally Posted by Curtis T
AWay,

Like you, i at that point where i need to decide on tires. How are the SS? I have the p-zeros on my CS and they are fairly noisy, so wondering if the SS are quieter.
Curtis, I ran P-Zero's on my Carrera S for several rotations, then switched to the Super Sports. The Super Sports track (track voom voom) better than the P-Zero in my opinion and they do not "hunt" the way the Zero's did. You can relax driving the Pilot SS instead of being on edge all the time following every little road imperfection with the Zero's.
I now have them on my GT3 and am having the same positive experience. IMHO.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:39 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
I think I'm leaning towards the SS. I'm not sure the RE-11 provides enough additional performance to warrant it over the Super Sport's great demeanor basically everwhere. I'm sure any of the proper 'track' oriented tires would add a commensurate increase, but between the SS and RE-11 it doesn't sound like worlds apart.

With just a few days spent at the track each year anyway, I don't want to put too much emphasis there anyhow. I initially had fear of damaging the Super Sport's tread significantly in one track outing and it sounds like that's unfounded.
I did 5 days on SS, can't tell it was abused. I'm at intermediate group about 5 to 7 secs off pace from instructor's group with slicks (lap is 1:44) on GT3's . Very smooth running on the streets vs ps2, much better.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is best place to shop for rs3 in 19s. Tire rack raised their price by $300 now since it is in season.

Mpss is still the best value with rebate on tire rack.

I may try rs3 over miss for sake of trying. I wish nt01 was made in 19s
Old 04-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Stuey
Cruisin'

Cool

I have a 997.1 S4 and it is my daily driver, which started seeing some track time with HPDEs last year. I got 7 track days last year and two this year before having to replace my Michelin Super Sports (235/35-19 & 305/30-19).

I really loved the wear, ride and track ability of the Super Sports. I just put on a new set of RE-11s only because the Michelin 305/30s have been back-ordered for over two months with no end in sight. The Bridgestone ride is less comfortable around town, but I am encouraged by the views I've read on how they handle on track. I am intermediate level on track, but really push my rubber and am looking forward to my next HPDE at Putnam Park.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Stuey
Cruisin'

I just replaced my Super Sports with RE-11s because the Super Sport 305/30-19s are on national backorder, with no end in sight. I loved everything about the Super Sports. My car is a daily driver (11k miles/yr) and I did 7 track days (HPDE) last year and 2 track days this year before having to replace them.

The RE-11s are less comfortable on the street but I am eagerly looking forward to my next HPDE to see how these RE-11s handle. I am intermediate and my instructors say very aggressive, hahaha!
Old 04-10-2016, 04:35 PM
krobertson
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Will 295/30 fit the 997s? I had PSS on my R8 and loved them. Good street tire and held up well on the track. Seemed to wear OK with track use. 295/30 was the stock R8 rear tire size, but most people went to 305/30. It may be an option if 305/30 stay on backorder.

Quick Reply: Tire choice: Super Sport or RE-11. Weekend car + 4-5 HPDE/yr.