Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Precision Autowerks' GT3 gets a new carbon wing!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:28 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I did the getty carbon 2010 cup setup for probably half of what you spent with no mods
Old 03-17-2013, 12:39 PM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I did the getty carbon 2010 cup setup for probably half of what you spent with no mods
any pics of your car for us? thanks!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all due respect, Getty is a good local supplier. I can use their products as well as Precision Porsche and Mashaw to source less expensive versions. My installer and other local tuners have had fitment work to do after purchase from any FRP manufacturers. I bought their end plates for this modification, but that was it. You are right, their deck is half the price. However, you get what you pay for. I am a stickler for OEM level of quality. My wing on this mod is a used OEM wing. It matches very closely to the GMG deck.

I chose to distribute for GMG and others because of the level of quality....not because of lower price. I chose this upgraded mod to show you guys the art of the possible. Price was not a consideration as long as we stayed 30-40% under a brand new OEM version. It's hard to tell from pics, but if you compared this carbon deck to others, the difference in quality is readily apparent.

This set up is RACE PROVEN on GMG Cup Cars. Other FRP (fiberglass) manufacturers simply "flash" an OEM deck and wing. There are no tests on ability to withstand downforce on a high speed track run. Remember that you can generate close to 300lbs of downforce at 80mph with versions of these decks and wings.

Sorry for the rant....I would recommend cheaper alternatives for other P-cars wanting to "look" like a GT3. However, if you are lucky enough to own a GT3, this is one of a few aftermarket wing set ups I would consider. Would you put a cheap dress on your super model girlfriend?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:13 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Sure.

Carbon wing, carbon end plates, OEM cup car uprights, engine cover is fiberglass I assume and the underside is matched to the GT3 for the fan, intake, etc... You basically tell them what you're using it on and they have all the undersides ready to mount.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Precision Auto
With all due respect, Getty is a good local supplier. I can use their products as well as Precision Porsche and Mashaw to source less expensive versions. My installer and other local tuners have had fitment work to do after purchase from any FRP manufacturers. I bought their end plates for this modification, but that was it. You are right, their deck is half the price. However, you get what you pay for. I am a stickler for OEM level of quality. My wing on this mod is a used OEM wing. It matches very closely to the GMG deck.

I chose to distribute for GMG and others because of the level of quality....not because of lower price. I chose this upgraded mod to show you guys the art of the possible. Price was not a consideration as long as we stayed 30-40% under a brand new OEM version. It's hard to tell from pics, but if you compared this carbon deck to others, the difference in quality is readily apparent.

This set up is RACE PROVEN on GMG Cup Cars. Other FRP (fiberglass) manufacturers simply "flash" an OEM deck and wing. There are no tests on ability to withstand downforce on a high speed track run. Remember that you can generate close to 300lbs of downforce at 80mph with versions of these decks and wings.

Sorry for the rant....I would recommend cheaper alternatives for other P-cars wanting to "look" like a GT3. However, if you are lucky enough to own a GT3, this is one of a few aftermarket wing set ups I would consider. Would you put a cheap dress on your super model girlfriend?
I would. But that's only because she wouldn't spend much time in it

The fact that you say you did it for less than half of OEM doesn't really matter cause OEM is probably something idiotic like $18k. MSRP on my stock taco wing is like $8k.

I spent very little to have it fit and painted. Maybe your body guys aren't very good My wing looks excellent.

I do a silly number of track days per year. This wing has seen almost 160 at VIR, around 150 at COTA, and mid 140's at Roebling, Sebring, Roat Atlanta, etc.

So........... Tell me why I need to spend $8k again?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

I would. But that's only because she wouldn't spend much time in it

The fact that you say you did it for less than half of OEM doesn't really matter cause OEM is probably something idiotic like $18k. MSRP on my stock taco wing is like $8k.

I spent very little to have it fit and painted. Maybe your body guys aren't very good My wing looks excellent.

I do a silly number of track days per year. This wing has seen almost 160 at VIR, around 150 at COTA, and mid 140's at Roebling, Sebring, Roat Atlanta, etc.

So........... Tell me why I need to spend $8k again?

Thanks for your input. I was trying to provide Rennlisters with the best aftermarket options available. My intent was not to provide the "cheapest" alternative. I respect your opinion and choices. Please respect mine and those of people that have similar intent.

Thanks,

Gus
Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I guess what I'm asking is what are you getting for double the money?

Fit is awesome with the Getty. It uses OEM porsche cup uprights. Heck, you're even using the Getty endplates.

I've proven the performance with it on a gazillion different track events.

What am I missing?
Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Full car shots....
Attached Images      
Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Any feedback on changes to handling/feeling from the wing/deck also has the deck and cup airbox made the car more responsive/quicker i.e. a boost in BHP from the increase airflow?

Are you going to run a cup front splitter to balance the downforce and maybe the 4.0 dive planes?

Jay
Jay,

The change with the cup airbox is subtle. Really no big difference. I will expect the big gains once I add the GMG sport cats and headers! I already did the tune....but will have to adjust once the cats are in.

I have the GMG Cup Front Spoiler. I am currently trying to source dive planes. GMG has the 997.2 CF Dive Planes. I may be close in getting the 997.1 Dive Planes done. Still debating whether FRP or CF matters on these. The price difference is double. Thoughts?

I haven't driven the car hard or on a track since getting the wing, but I can definitely hear the wind running through it while driving on the fwy! I have a few track days in April, so I guess we'll see!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:38 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 448 Likes on 267 Posts

I guess what I'm asking is what are you getting for double the money?

Fit is awesome with the Getty. It uses OEM porsche cup uprights. Heck, you're even using the Getty endplates.

I've proven the performance with it on a gazillion different track events.

What am I missing?

Hey Deputy Dog.... Car is looking good..

I wanted to chime in and let you know "what you are getting" with the cost of the GMG deck lid.

This is by no means a slam on Getty for the products they build and sell.

I think in order to really see what you are getting you would have to compare the two side by side. This is a forum and we don't have that luxury.

With that being said.. Here are a few of the reason why we feel our deck lid stands out over the competition and why it costs what it costs.

1. 100% aerospace grade carbon pre-preg- vacuum bagged.
2. 100% direct replacement deck lid.
3. Deck lid weighs less than half of what the OEM version weighs. Our part weighs in at 8 lbs.
4. Its hard to show the quality of the part in photo's so I will reserve that to a comparison to other products when you can compare the 2 side by side.
5. The carbon weave is about 99% perfect in terms how the material is laid out and does not need to be painted.
6. Our parts are made by guys that are building aerospace composite- currently they work on drones and parts that are put into space.

While I am no expert in composite manufacturing, working with the guys we work with now I have learned there is a very very large difference in proper aerospace grade quality parts and what the automotive aftermarket is currently supplying to the market. From the materials used to the process in laying out the carbon to get the absolute highest strength and durability.

Im not here trying to knock what Getty builds. In fact, I have used there parts in the past myself. I am sure your wing is fine and will last as long as you need it to.

Gus at Precision came to GMG because he wanted something that would exceed what the OEM part was in quality and performance and he also wanted the carbon to be as close to perfect as it could be. We are not in the business of just building composite parts. We have chosen to build certain parts that we feel needed improvement from what was available from the factory on the street cars and from motorsport.

We have always strived to build the best parts for Porsche cars first. Our parts have been proven in professional racing in both World Challenge and ALMS and continue to be proven year after year race after race.

There are many suppliers on the market that offer parts at various level of build quality, performance and price. We have learned and I am sure many of you can agree there is a price associated with manufacturing industry leading components..... After all many of you have purchased GT3/ RS's Turbo's, Cup cars and are aware of the costs associated with maintaining them.

It does get a little frustrating when your a manufacture and supplier of quality parts. But your parts are not compared on there performance, build quality, materials, fit and finish but are compared on price first and quality second.

Hope my response to this post has not pissed you or anyone else off on this forum just trying to share my thoughts..

Hope you make it out west sometime and run some of our track events.

If anyone finds themselves at the St.Pete Grand Prix next weekend please feel free to stop by the GMG World Challenge paddock and say Hi....... Always happy to meet fellow Rennlist members from around the country. Have a safe 2013 track season.....

The shop is also always open to visitors and now at 30,000 sqft .. If you find yourself in Orange County anytime please feel free to stop by and say Hi... Would be happy to show you around the newly expanded facility.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 03-18-2013, 10:02 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Hey Deputy Dog.... Car is looking good..

I wanted to chime in and let you know "what you are getting" with the cost of the GMG deck lid.

This is by no means a slam on Getty for the products they build and sell.

I think in order to really see what you are getting you would have to compare the two side by side. This is a forum and we don't have that luxury.

With that being said.. Here are a few of the reason why we feel our deck lid stands out over the competition and why it costs what it costs.

1. 100% aerospace grade carbon pre-preg- vacuum bagged.
2. 100% direct replacement deck lid.
3. Deck lid weighs less than half of what the OEM version weighs. Our part weighs in at 8 lbs.
4. Its hard to show the quality of the part in photo's so I will reserve that to a comparison to other products when you can compare the 2 side by side.
5. The carbon weave is about 99% perfect in terms how the material is laid out and does not need to be painted.
6. Our parts are made by guys that are building aerospace composite- currently they work on drones and parts that are put into space.

While I am no expert in composite manufacturing, working with the guys we work with now I have learned there is a very very large difference in proper aerospace grade quality parts and what the automotive aftermarket is currently supplying to the market. From the materials used to the process in laying out the carbon to get the absolute highest strength and durability.

Im not here trying to knock what Getty builds. In fact, I have used there parts in the past myself. I am sure your wing is fine and will last as long as you need it to.

Gus at Precision came to GMG because he wanted something that would exceed what the OEM part was in quality and performance and he also wanted the carbon to be as close to perfect as it could be. We are not in the business of just building composite parts. We have chosen to build certain parts that we feel needed improvement from what was available from the factory on the street cars and from motorsport.

We have always strived to build the best parts for Porsche cars first. Our parts have been proven in professional racing in both World Challenge and ALMS and continue to be proven year after year race after race.

There are many suppliers on the market that offer parts at various level of build quality, performance and price. We have learned and I am sure many of you can agree there is a price associated with manufacturing industry leading components..... After all many of you have purchased GT3/ RS's Turbo's, Cup cars and are aware of the costs associated with maintaining them.

It does get a little frustrating when your a manufacture and supplier of quality parts. But your parts are not compared on there performance, build quality, materials, fit and finish but are compared on price first and quality second.

Hope my response to this post has not pissed you or anyone else off on this forum just trying to share my thoughts..

Hope you make it out west sometime and run some of our track events.

If anyone finds themselves at the St.Pete Grand Prix next weekend please feel free to stop by the GMG World Challenge paddock and say Hi....... Always happy to meet fellow Rennlist members from around the country. Have a safe 2013 track season.....

The shop is also always open to visitors and now at 30,000 sqft .. If you find yourself in Orange County anytime please feel free to stop by and say Hi... Would be happy to show you around the newly expanded facility.
Thanks for the informative reply. Interesting info.

I guess I'll to wait to see them side by side.

The whole thing seems over engineered if you ask me, especially for guys that aren't on factory race teams. Mine is a direct bolt on (underside has provisions for the fan and intake), weighed way less than the stock lid (don't remember the numbers), looks great, and has functionally proven itself over and over again at intense track speeds. Despite not having guys build it that are also working on attack drones

If you want the best of the best, yours is clearly the product. Definitely has a better pedigree behind it. A timex will tell time better than a rolex but that hasn't hurt rolex sales any

I only live about 20 minutes from the GP or I would stop by for sure. That is a really fun event. Going to sebring instead to run some laps with my ghetto wing
Old 03-18-2013, 10:51 PM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Deputydog95,

thanks for the pics of your car.

Both the OP's and your car look great!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Don't think you can go wrong with either. GMG makes a fine product.

Quick Reply: Precision Autowerks' GT3 gets a new carbon wing!