Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 Petition

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:47 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fake enthusiasts are the ones who want a sports car and have money but have no passion for cars. Posers are the bench racers who will talk trash about performance this and that all day and never break the speed limit (even on the track, lol). The GT3 used to be a race car for the street, it's clearly headed in a different direction. Emphasis on GT.

This is an opinion forum, and opinions are given. Even when there is no assurance as to what's going to happen. If you don't like to hear opinions, then this is probably not the place for you......
Old 02-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Hearing the same opinion over and over is boring, but TEHO.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Fake enthusiasts are the ones who want a sports car and have money but have no passion for cars. Posers are the bench racers who will talk trash about performance this and that all day and never break the speed limit (even on the track, lol). The GT3 used to be a race car for the street, it's clearly headed in a different direction. Emphasis on GT.

This is an opinion forum, and opinions are given. Even when there is no assurance as to what's going to happen. If you don't like to hear opinions, then this is probably not the place for you......
It might be sound to follow your own advice, but rather than name calling, why dont we just stick with poking fun in good jest? I could ask you if you know how to install a 1976 912 4cyl in a 997, and you could inquire as to whether i have wired my steering wheel to my navi system?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
It might be sound to follow your own advice, but rather than name calling, why dont we just stick with poking fun in good jest? I could ask you if you know how to install a 1976 912 4cyl in a 997, and you could inquire as to whether i have wired my steering wheel to my navi system?
Awesome thread. I just read it twice and I think its good for 1 million pages.
I do however have a few questions;

What is a 912? Will the next one be a 910 after the 911?
What are throttle bodies, magnetos and carburators?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Not good with numbers......isn't magneto that "x-men" guy?

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
..... and you could inquire as to whether i have wired my steering wheel to my navi system?
Now I have to know....have you? What gauge did you use? Is it fused?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

also, i want swing axles......
Old 02-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Now I have to know....have you? What gauge did you use? Is it fused?
i have, used 18 guage, but i cant figure out how to get navi to go round and round on track for 30 minutes?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

912 is an old 911...the future
individual throttle bodies on top of weber carbys rule....
magneto is the distributor.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
magneto is the distributor.
Nah, not a distributor. It's an electrical generator that uses magnets to provide electricity in place of or in addition to the battery. And, like I said, he's the "x-men" villain......
Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was my understanding that magnetos provided both the 'spark' and the timing.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Wanna - have you ever driver a sequential? I have. Nice on a track but impossible on the street. All of the Cup Car guys with sequential gearboxes will agree.

I had a 430 with F1 for a couple years, have you driven one? The F1 tranny is in all ways inferior to the PDK and fragile on top of that. Maybe that's why Ferrari switched to a PDK type transmission in the newer cars.

If you don't like PDK, that's fine but why don't you leave it at that.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
It was my understanding that magnetos provided both the 'spark' and the timing.
For some applications you may be right.....
Old 02-24-2013, 05:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Wanna - have you ever driver a sequential? I have. Nice on a track but impossible on the street. All of the Cup Car guys with sequential gearboxes will agree.

I had a 430 with F1 for a couple years, have you driven one? The F1 tranny is in all ways inferior to the PDK and fragile on top of that. Maybe that's why Ferrari switched to a PDK type transmission in the newer cars.

Thanks Bob
Old 02-24-2013, 07:23 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
What are the practical advantages of a "real mechanical sequential manual" over PDK for a production car like the GT3 that is going to be driven on the street as well as at the track? Not trying to be argumentative; would just like to hear your opinion......
Weight, driver involvement (required). I'd take Porsche putting oakley faux sequentials in before PDK. I'd also take a Ferrari F1 transmission which is also lighter but more in tune with the driver and fits more with the GT3 mantra.

I blame lazy unauthentic Americans for influencing Porsche too much. The GT3 started off as a track car that you drive on the street. Now it's just like the rest of them, "race inspired" but not race ready. They sent us the .1 GT3 with no sunroof delete option because that's what they think of us. Surely they won't mind faux CL, that have no benefit. Surely they won't mind 20" wheels on their "race car". Just like they didn't mind the .1 RS with bright colors and no more speed than the GT3 we can charge a a lot more for it too.

It's just like most of the people who are talking about the track advantages used to go to the track, or don't go to the track. You can clearly see the guys who are actually out there doing it and passionate about it, posting feedback, data, videos the most and clearly supportive of manual not all opposed to PDK being in the car.

It's the "I wanna look like I' going fast but I'm not going to" cars and coffee crowd, likened to the vast majority of Corvette and Viper guys who like to bench race, but never see the track that are pining for PDK.
Dude, you seem insecure. If you don't like PDK, don't buy it. Surely it doesn't make you feel better to denigrate those that do?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:58 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

Of course I don't expect Porsche to put a Cup sequential in a GT3 for people to drive on the streets, that makes no sense for a street car, which is why I listed the alternatives. I have not driven a Cup type sequential, but yes I have driven a 430, which is why I said Porsche designed F1 tranny, I know they are fragile. Just because one manufacturer doesn't get it right doesn't mean none of them can. Take a look at the various cars with dual clutches in them, Porsche would be at the top of the heap in that area as well, based on everything I've heard so why not a better F1 tranny than Ferrari?

What, is it ok to bag on Corvette, Viper, Ferrari drivers, but as soon as someone has an actual neutral opinion in that regard people get sensitive? LOL.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Petition