Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Too late to get in line for early 991 GT3s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on what has leaked out of Stuttgart and my experiences test driving a 991 CS and recently having a week with the 981 Boxster 6-sp, I have no interest in a 991 GT3 and hence no deposit down for me. With my 10, I had a deposit in 2008 without even knowing when the new car would come out. This time I am going to wait. First with the 991 GT3, is they are putting a 9A1 engine and 7-sp gearbox (your choice PDK or Manual) in them, but don't have the confidence to race them; why would they ever belong in a GT3? With the new cars, the steering is connected where you can't feel what the front tires are doing through the steering. The manual shifter is the same way, feeling like an electronic device that is not attached to the transaxle. This is exactly the opposite of how a GT3 should feel. With standard 20" wheels, those MPSC rear tires are going to run $900 ea (wholesale through Tirerack) and last the typical 4K miles. Finally they will be priced close to $150K. (GT3s are typically priced around what a loaded C2S is priced with aero and X51 options) Too rich for my blood.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^It has been widely reported that 7MT will not be available. Have you personally heard otherwise?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Based on what has leaked out of Stuttgart and my experiences test driving a 991 CS and recently having a week with the 981 Boxster 6-sp, I have no interest in a 991 GT3 and hence no deposit down for me. With my 10, I had a deposit in 2008 without even knowing when the new car would come out. This time I am going to wait. First with the 991 GT3, is they are putting a 9A1 engine and 7-sp gearbox (your choice PDK or Manual) in them, but don't have the confidence to race them; why would they ever belong in a GT3? With the new cars, the steering is connected where you can't feel what the front tires are doing through the steering. The manual shifter is the same way, feeling like an electronic device that is not attached to the transaxle. This is exactly the opposite of how a GT3 should feel. With standard 20" wheels, those MPSC rear tires are going to run $900 ea (wholesale through Tirerack) and last the typical 4K miles. Finally they will be priced close to $150K. (GT3s are typically priced around what a loaded C2S is priced with aero and X51 options) Too rich for my blood.
Interestingly, I agree with everything here but exact same reasons are what makes me interested in GT3. I appreciate how Porsche is able to put new tech in the car without making it less car-like. New engine is surprisingly green while just as powerful (actually more powerful) - makes me feel less guilty for owning such a car and a reason to admire it more. The PDK transmission is a marvel of technology as well, but it has the level of connection I desire, what I could not get from GTR, AMG cars or even previous gen PDK. Not to start an argument, but once dual-clutch transmissions were perfected I see no reason to go with manual - in city driving shifting is unnecessary except for fuel economy as second gear takes you from standstill to jail-speed, and on the track it's subconscious process that I do not even remember doing, like blinking, so I cannot really say I enjoy it. The 20" wheels can be replaced with 19" (most likely, based on C2S info), and their increased size allows for the miracle suspension that among other things makes for more even and noticeably reduced tire wear - I've seen it pretty clearly on tracked 991 C2Ses. So a set of 19" PSS or AD08s for ~300/tire will be as fast as I need and would probably last a whole season. The price, as you said, is expected to be comparable to C2S with all performance options, but then C2S would depreciate faster and would not drive as well, so GT3 is a great value. I am not 100% sure about the steering. I could feel traction loss in C2S but it does feel weird. And I'm completely puzzled why they would insist on offering centerlocks, but other than that the car seems to shape up as a real winner for me. You see - same car, just different perception.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Agree.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi 10 GT3,

Fully agree. except that there will be no manual for the 991 GT3 according to my info. As you say, what has not been raced by Porsche - will also not be bought by me. If the new engine would be installed in the CUP and the RSR..and proven after 2 years to be winning 24h of Le Mans..would be a different story.

Besides, I think the title of this thread is quite stupid..of course you can still put a deposit for the car..its not even on the market !
Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by a.928
Besides, I think the title of this thread is quite stupid..of course you can still put a deposit for the car..its not even on the market !
The question in the title is if it's too late to get in line for the EARLY 991 GT3s, not put a deposit at all, and the answer unfortunately is YES for local dealers. I contacted all dealers within a reasonable driving distance from me and two refused to take deposit and the others told me if I put the deposit now I will get a the car 6-12 months after the first deliveries, unless people drop out. It's never stupid to ask - only to assume.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:41 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
The question in the title is if it's too late to get in line for the EARLY 991 GT3s, not put a deposit at all, and the answer unfortunately is YES for local dealers. I contacted all dealers within a reasonable driving distance from me and two refused to take deposit and the others told me if I put the deposit now I will get a the car 6-12 months after the first deliveries, unless people drop out. It's never stupid to ask - only to assume.
Well, maybe the situation in US is different..but I know 2 porsche dealers in Europe here that dont even have one deposit at all - nowhere else have I heard something that youre writing..but I could be wrong.

Dont forget the GT3 was-is a niche market..each Porsche centre will maybe only sell a few of them..besides the car is not even officially announced..
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look out of state. Our last 3 Porsches were all bought out-of-state - working with them was easier than working with 'local' dealers. Two were driven back, which was great fun. Work intervened with the third, so Exotic transported it.
They are all 50-state cars so there was no difficulty registering.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Agree on shopping out-of-state, especially the mega-dealers as they have healthy allocations.

When I shopped for my GT3 when it first released, none of the local dealers had one (long waiting list, no negotiation, mark-up, etc., etc.) I searched a little, found one better than I could spec-ed out, at an out-of-state mega-dealer. A few phone calls and FedEx paperworks, the car was delivered to my driveway within a day. I couldn't be happier, and the price was nice too.

And don't fall for the 'artifical scarcity' tactic used by Porsche (and all car companies.) It will ship a few in the first couple batches to create artifical scarcity, and then will have higher volume batches of cars soon-to-follow.

Porsche is going to make a bunch of money on each of these 9A1-based 991.1 GT3's, it sure will make enough to sell to everyone who wants to buy one, and it will laugh to the bank.

Regards,
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The 9A1 DFI engines were used in the Caymans at Daytona, and held up well, so maybe 9A1's are more durable than people are giving them credit for.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

There is another thread in this forum which posted info from Porsche insiders that the new GT3 engine will not be a warmed over 9A1, but rather a new DFI motorsport engine. I don't know if that's true, but the people saying for sure it will basically be a street 9A1 don't know whether what they are saying is true either. It's all speculation until we see the actual car, and it's a good bet that in about 30 days one speculation or the other is going to sound pretty stupid.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-06-2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skxf430
The 9A1 DFI engines were used in the Caymans at Daytona, and held up well, so maybe 9A1's are more durable than people are giving them credit for.
Anyone knows how much more demanding to the engine when racing in Le Mans (and 24 Hours Nürburgring, etc., etc.) compares to in Daytona? I am curious as Porsche still uses the Mezger in the 991.1 GT3RSR/Cup.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:10 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the 991 GT3 engine will be a 9A1 engine with:

a) lighter forged/titanium components (crankshaft, con rods etc); and
b) an actual dry sump, rather than an integrated one

I don't think it will be a whole new engine .. at least not yet.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

A follow up question - is it common to discuss the pricing (relative to MSRP) at the time of putting a deposit or later, at the time of actual ordering? Also, if discussing now, what would be a good target, relative to MSRP (e.g., at MSRP or 5% below)? Sorry if these are silly questions, but I never had to deal with artificially scarce car purchases before :-). Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
A follow up question - is it common to discuss the pricing (relative to MSRP) at the time of putting a deposit or later, at the time of actual ordering? Also, if discussing now, what would be a good target, relative to MSRP (e.g., at MSRP or 5% below)? Sorry if these are silly questions, but I never had to deal with artificially scarce car purchases before :-). Thanks!
IMO, 5% off would be a great deal on a low volume, wait listed, new model, if you could get it. I think it would be hard for a new buyer at a dealer to work out something like that; a long time customer might have a chance.

I didn't discuss price at the time I placed my wait list deposit over a year ago. Too many unknowns and too far in the future. I don't think a discussion of discounts will go far until actual pricing is known.

Quick Reply: Too late to get in line for early 991 GT3s?