Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 with replaced engine, would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM
I've always wondered why no one has invented some sort of mechanical clutch breakaway when the ECU detects a mechanical overrev.
Motorcycles have a "slipper clutch" that reduces back-torque from the wheels. This would buy you a little bit extra time to react and put the clutch pedal in. I don't think I would like a manual without engine braking though...

I bet it's possible to tie-in an electric motor controlled hydraulic ram just behind the slave cylinder for emergency situations. But...I bet manuals in sports car will go the way of the dinosaur before that ever happens.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 PM
TrackToyz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Serge944
But...I bet manuals in sports car will go the way of the dinosaur before that ever happens.
This.

PDK = Anti-screwup device.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As said above would not be afraid of the deal since you know the dealer and the service was done in house. Changing the motor gives you a younger motor and one without issues far better than the other way around.

In that market they may not be interested in giving you a discount so I would document the issues we have brought up here, get all the records and buy your car.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:30 AM
Arth
Racer

thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated
Old 01-31-2013, 05:51 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't see a problem if the cause was documented by Porsche. An over rev issue went away with the driver and engine replacement...
Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't be a problem to own, if it was replaced and warrantied by Porsche. My first RS had an issue and Porsche replaced the engine. It was perfect, but it did affect my resale. I would expect the same and negotiate accordingly.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I got Violet 2nd hand. She had her clutch replaced before I got her. When the engine was out (or perhaps on the way back in) the tech broke a bracket that supports a coolant hose. That damage went un-noticed.

Until the hose popped open on me in the hairpin at Buttonwillow. Luckily, spinning out was all that happened. I got it fixed so that I could drive her home. Later my dealer replaced the damaged parts under warranty. I guess the original dealer had to pay.

Stuff happens. Although, none of this would deter me from doing it over again.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mepps
im not sure "tracked twice very gently" and blown engine go together
LOL I was thinking the same.... Or at the end of the "light track day", " he did the money shift...
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 AM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Note, obviously get a DME report if the previous owner blew one shift, they may have blown others with less catastrophic consequences.

Looks like my GT3 will have an engine change in the near future as a result of a hole in the case from external damage from the right rear center lock failure and the resulting slide. Sucks, likely diminishing the value and is a PIA (still "in progress"). There are all kinds of things which happen to cars that you do not know about, these are the things that will bite you. The stuff you know about is unlikely the things that will affect you later as you can mitigate or use care around them. I found this out the hard way.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gstahl
Note, obviously get a DME report if the previous owner blew one shift, they may have blown others with less catastrophic consequences.

Looks like my GT3 will have an engine change in the near future as a result of a hole in the case from external damage from the right rear center lock failure and the resulting slide. Sucks, likely diminishing the value and is a PIA (still "in progress"). There are all kinds of things which happen to cars that you do not know about, these are the things that will bite you. The stuff you know about is unlikely the things that will affect you later as you can mitigate or use care around them. I found this out the hard way.
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get what you deserve ($ or complete new parts and rebuild) for their f-ups in design.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Damage
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

How much less would you take off from asking price?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd jump on it in a heartbeat if it's the right car for you.
Odds are the previous owner made one bad mistake. If he abused the car the DME and PPI may show it.

I'm on the second engine in my 997S. Porsche replaced the engine after the defect was determined to be theirs and not mine.

I imagine when I sell it I will find there are two types of people. Some that see this as a benefit and those that don't. I imagine that might mean it will take longer to find the right buyer.

But I see it as a benefit to have a low milage engine in an 8 year old car.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:43 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mepps
im not sure "tracked twice very gently" and blown engine go together
Exactly...to me this sounds like a lame excuse..I mean its almost impossoble to destroy a GT3 engine with one misshift unless youre a complete idiot..sorry for my language ..maybe the dealer is using this a an excuse..and maybe it had already a problem when it came out of the factory..

Nonetheless, new engine = new engine= - you would basically buy a new car...then ..so go ahaed. I would have no regrets ..
Old 03-04-2013, 05:11 AM
Damage
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

Could metal shavings resulting in the dealership rebuilding the engine due to improper break-in by a previous owner?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I see a new engine as a plus, not a minus. Like a reset button on the life of the engine.

FWIW - I have a new engine in my RS. Full warranty replacement by Porsche because a piece of plastic off of the intake broke off and went into a cylinder and detonated the engine. Porsche rep said he had never seen that before but immediately authorized a new engine. A few days later new engine installed.

These are crate engines straight from Porsche. Take one out, put one in. Drive it away.

Quick Reply: GT3 with replaced engine, would you buy?