Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Waterless coolant- no pressure... no hose blow offs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ncgt,

Did you notice any increase in temp?

Dirt bikes and karts have very small volume (capacity) cooling systems due to packaging and weight and are very sensitive to any extra energy (temperature increases).

Cheers
Jay
Old 01-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Everyone wants a magic potion or an easy fix for everything but there never is one.

Evans doesn't cool as well as water not to mention there's nothing magic about it just fill your hole system with sierra and you won't notice a difference between it or evans.

It needs a super high boiling point because it's getting super hot. As far as the transfer thing goes it goes both directions so don't give me the coolant is super hot because the engine is super cool.

In the rotary world people like it because there are iron and aluminum plates tied together in the rotary engine that expand and contract at different rates and it's believed that having a coolant that heats and cools evenly is superior and that's true BUT a properly setup water system will cool evenly as well and run cooler and your car will go faster.

Run evans then run water. You'll be a second a lap faster with water Evans isn't the answer the answer is a properly setup cooling system because like everything else there's no short cut.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Jaime GT3

Very nice find. Another thing about plain water is it has problems maintaing contact with a hot surface, think drop of water on hot skillet, so the addition of a surfactant, such as water wetter helps in the heat transfer. I personsly prefer Pencool 2000 over water wetter as it is proven in Diesel engines to prevent cavation pitting of the cyl liner as well as preventing corrosion.

Peter
Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Jaime GT3

Very nice find. Another thing about plain water is it has problems maintaing contact with a hot surface, think drop of water on hot skillet, so the addition of a surfactant, such as water wetter helps in the heat transfer. I personsly prefer Pencool 2000 over water wetter as it is proven in Diesel engines to prevent cavation pitting of the cyl liner as well as preventing corrosion.

Peter
Thanks and agreed localized hot spots are better with a surface tension reducer (surfactant). What's the make up of pencool? I'll have to check it out. Nice about water wetter as it's not really enough surfactant to make it super slick behind you if something does let go...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ncgt3
Evans is commonly used in racing in the US. I've used it when racing dirt bikes and karts. Cannot be mixed with water. Can purchase it directly from mfg or in various race oriented shops in the Charlotte, NC area as well as other race shops in USA.

Not cheap, but works extremely well.

http://www.evanscooling.com/
+1 the best for dirt bikes ..........
Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
Thanks and agreed localized hot spots are better with a surface tension reducer (surfactant). What's the make up of pencool? I'll have to check it out. Nice about water wetter as it's not really enough surfactant to make it super slick behind you if something does let go...
Pencool is not slippery at all and works by raising the ph of the water to prevent galvanic corrosion and reduces surface tension. Nothing wrong with WW but I don't have a lot of faith in it's corrosion preventing abilities. Caveat as I live in South Florida freezing is not an issue.

Peter
Old 01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Pencool is not slippery at all and works by raising the ph of the water to prevent galvanic corrosion and reduces surface tension. Nothing wrong with WW but I don't have a lot of faith in it's corrosion preventing abilities. Caveat as I live in South Florida freezing is not an issue.

Peter
I'll check it out!

I switch mine out in the spring and fall between DI with WW and coolant for street driving in the winter...

Quick Reply: Waterless coolant- no pressure... no hose blow offs?