Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3 CL recall, a NEW recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

I dont think (I hope) that Porsche can refuse to implement the recall on a car identified as requiring it because the car is not on OEM wheels since this is safety issue they have identified with the govt.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I dont think (I hope) that Porsche can refuse to implement the recall on a car identified as requiring it because the car is not on OEM wheels since this is safety issue they have identified with the govt.
+1

They may be able to refuse warranty on this basis but a recall??? I think not! I'm with Larry...
Old 12-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

I looked into this, here is the process to follow if for any reason a dealer refuses to enact the safety recall on your car: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...llproblems.cfm

I should think that the mere threat of reporting the dealership to the NHTSA will resolve any issues should they arise ...

Something along the lines of: "Tony, as the service manager here at ****ty Porsche, I have to inform you that it is my intent to report you personally and the dealership to the NHTSA (and PCNA) for refusing to implement this safety recall" then mention something about liability should the car fail ...

not that I anticipate this, but my local dealer has refused to align the car with aftermarket wheels on the car ... although they did replace the nuts on the previous recall without any issues...
Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
So with the new proposed guidelines effectively timing out your rear hubs, how do you plan to proceed now Bob? Will you swap them out or continue to run on them?
I'll follow the guidelines. If that means replacing the hubs, so be it. I run on slicks so those components work hard same with wheel bearings. My philosophy is "use it like a race car - maintain it like a race car"

Best,
Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

I looked into this, here is the process to follow if for any reason a dealer refuses to enact the safety recall on your car: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...llproblems.cfm

I should think that the mere threat of reporting the dealership to the NHTSA will resolve any issues should they arise ...

Something along the lines of: "Tony, as the service manager here at ****ty Porsche, I have to inform you that it is my intent to report you personally and the dealership to the NHTSA (and PCNA) for refusing to implement this safety recall" then mention something about liability should the car fail ...

not that I anticipate this, but my local dealer has refused to align the car with aftermarket wheels on the car ... although they did replace the nuts on the previous recall without any issues...
Thanks for jumping in on this Larry!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:08 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on Bob R's statement

Last edited by modoz61; 01-02-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: didnt include quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 176 Posts

FYI, I spoke with PCNA today and was told that the recall notices have not been mailed yet.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
FYI, I spoke with PCNA today and was told that the recall notices have not been mailed yet.
I was in talking to Cody at Porsche of West Houston the other day and he checked your VIN with the notice and said yours was in the range so I am sure you will be getting a letter and/or call once they are prepared to notify.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 AM
almeena58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is Jan 2010 production and i just got it from dealer, it took a two days job and they said they changed the rear wheel hubs only and the recall is just for late 2009 early 2010. i asked what is the diff between old and new but they dont know and the manager said he will look and get back to me.

price wise for parts around 2000USD and they didnt mention any new maintenance process.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 AM
almeena58
Racer

parts changed
Wheel hub for rear axle 2 ea.

Wheel bearing for rear axle 2 ea.

Hexagon nut, M12 x 1.5 4 ea.

Hexagon-head bolt, M12 x 70 6 ea.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:45 PM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have verified my GT3 (failed center lock) is in the recall, they have a case open and should be contacting me in the next week or so (seems they are working through a list of cars) they have a person assigned (so someone is handling each case). It is not clear how this affects the other damage to the car. I am completing the body repair on my own dime, we verified that the tub is completely straight and was not bent (which we thought might be the case). Will let folks know what happens.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

great news Geoff. Keep pushing. They will only replace everything to stock if you win the fight. Do you still have the Cup Car?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Curley
3rd Gear

Mine are now done , things seem to be moving a little quicker this side of the pond
Old 01-10-2013, 04:51 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gstahl
I have verified my GT3 (failed center lock) is in the recall, they have a case open and should be contacting me in the next week or so (seems they are working through a list of cars) they have a person assigned (so someone is handling each case). It is not clear how this affects the other damage to the car. I am completing the body repair on my own dime, we verified that the tub is completely straight and was not bent (which we thought might be the case). Will let folks know what happens.
Awesome news! Glad you are finally getting somewhere Geoff!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
great news Geoff. Keep pushing. They will only replace everything to stock if you win the fight. Do you still have the Cup Car?
Yes, car is all stock right now, the big question is whether they will cover the engine, I do not think this is settled, my gut says no they stills will not cover it but will deal with this when I get the notice.

Yes, still have the cup car. It is brilliant though given the commitments to work and family I do not drive it enough, may part with it and stick to a (rebuilt) GT3 for a while. Did a reasonable 1:34 at Laguna and a 1:53 at Thunderhill in the cup car, still 3+ seconds off decent times. The cup car first weekend out was about 5 1/2 seconds quicker on both tracks compared to a GT3 with hoosiers.

Will report more as things continue.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 CL recall, a NEW recall