Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3 CL recall, a NEW recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:44 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

5 lug systems have been around for a longtime- any makes. CL in last 2 years- what a freaking nitemare. They still haven't addressed the coolant fitting issue- how one supports that bs they give out is beyond me. Mike
Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyP
My 2009 car goes in for the hub replacement early next year. It had the nut change and inspection but no other parts required changing.

As I said over on PH, I bought this porsche after careful consideration of the running costs based on the maintenance schedule for which I signed my contract with the opc to by the car. Unless there is a T&C in my original paperwork that says that porsche reserve the right to change the service schedule and pass on the cost to me, I will be expecting them to offer the hub change at their cost if and when I reach their new schedule track mileage.

Anyone come across this 'get out' clause yet in the sales contract or owners manual?

Am I deluded in my thought patern?

Pete. (Still a P-car fan but running low on patience) ;(
I too had only my wheel nuts replaced under the last recall. Under the recall, the dealers had to inspect the wheels, brake components (really just rotors) and hubs for wear using specific measurements. Since I don't think I've gone longer than 4K miles without having my wheels removed and installed for either brakes or tires, mine have been torqued regularly so I've never had a problem.

I was told by my dealer when they did the first recall that Porsche has taken a stand on the use of aftermarket components that are not within the specs of measurements they performed under the recall. I had originally purchased a set of PFC replacement rotors for the front. They came with the old style oval hole centers. I was told installing them would void my warranty because when the nubs are installed in the rotor, there is too much gap versus the factory spec requirement. I didn't put them on and contacted PFC. Working with PFC the rotors were replaced with a set with a revised center that has smaller round holes. I had them checked by my dealer and my dealer confirmed the revised centers meet factory spec. BTW, the measured fit of the updated PRF rotors was actually better than the OEM rotors. Just keep this in mind if you are using aftermarket brakes or wheels as if those parts don't meet factory tolerances, Porsche can deny a warranty claim. Further, there is also no protection under the Magnuson Act if the aftermarket parts don't meet factory specs.

I am curious how this will roll out in the US as we have fairly stringent consumer fraud laws. For example, when Mazda mis-quoted the HP of the 01' Miata and Ford misquoted the HP of the 99' Cobra, they were forced to take action. In Ford's case, they issued a campaign to change intake and exhaust components to increase the HP to meet their claimed specifications. Mazda did not have a service campaign solution to bring their cars up to the power spec and instead had to offer owners either a buy-back of the cars or the owners could opt to accept a rebate ($2500 or $3500 as I recall) with acceptance of the lower performance. Most buyers took the checks and kept the cars. A similar situation could result with our cars if they flow-down a high for a new maintenance schedule to consumers that was not disclosed at the time of sell.

The last thing is although they are recalling just the early 2010 GT3s, what about the other models with CLs for maintenance requirements? If the hubs are being updated to the later hubs from the later model and the new maintenance schedule is rolling out with the recall, wouldn't you alse expect the later models to receive updated maintenance schedules too?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

What's the difference between 2010 hubs etc vs 2011 other than age? Are the manufacturers different as well? Mike
Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
...the new maintenance schedule is rolling out with the recall, wouldn't you also expect the later models to receive updated maintenance schedules too?
What do you think? See my post(s). We will all have to deal with this and if you're a serious tracker, you'll be replacing your hubs, bearings etc. soon AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE! At least you know you probably should, right? But for a lot of other folks who only track occasionally, this really hits home in the re-sale value of their GT3's, Turbo's and GTS's. What do you think a future buyer of your GT3 will want to have done?
What I'm fr...g mad about is the fact that Porsche "neglected" to tell me when I bought the car that I should consider maintaining my "street" GT3 like a cup car with all the costs involved. Might not have bought it had I known that or at least not for THAT price...
Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
What's the difference between 2010 hubs etc vs 2011 other than age? Are the manufacturers different as well? Mike
Apparently a revised hub was installed on all cars from 04/10. It has a different part number... There is no detail on the difference, presumably strengthened in some manner one would assume...

With the recall last year, some cars had there hubs replaced. This was not deemed necessary for all at the time. Now they have deemed it necessary and are trying to get "CL HUB mkI" off all early cars!

They are looking at cars via VIN no and checking what part number rear hubs are fitted. If at some point your hubs were changed, ie recall AB01 you won't get a letter... If they are the old superseded hubs, letter and recall AC05...

What I don't understand is why they have implemented a servicing schedule and DON'T deem it critical to let every one know like yesterday! Its like the original saga with these f @&ken CLs... They decided the torque spec needed to increase to 600Nm in July 10 but formal notification to customers didn't take place until the recall in mid 2011... Frig the dealers, the customer is the FIRST person that should be notified if they want to avoid liability...
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
What do you think? See my post(s). We will all have to deal with this and if you're a serious tracker, you'll be replacing your hubs, bearings etc. soon AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE! At least you know you probably should, right? But for a lot of other folks who only track occasionally, this really hits home in the re-sale value of their GT3's, Turbo's and GTS's. What do you think a future buyer of your GT3 will want to have done?
What I'm fr...g mad about is the fact that Porsche "neglected" to tell me when I bought the car that I should consider maintaining my "street" GT3 like a cup car with all the costs involved. Might not have bought it had I known that or at least not for THAT price...
What still to be answered is what grip level of tire the time out is based on

Sport Cup<Toyo<Hoosier<Michelin

The higher the grip teh sooner the time out.....wonder how long a slock based car has before a time out
Old 12-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
What still to be answered is what grip level of tire the time out is based on Sport Cup<Toyo<Hoosier<Michelin
The higher the grip the sooner the time out.....wonder how long a stock based car has before a time out
Good Question, Izzone! There are so many variables, it would be nice to hear from Porsche about this (some day...) Unfortunately, I doubt we'll get a good answer. Probably just like that: "U vant to fahren den track? U musst nicht fahren ohne neue Hubs"...
Imagine the 911 Turbo drovers? That pig is so heavy, it'll wear out those "delicate hubbies" in no time at all...
Old 12-21-2012, 01:00 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

What still to be answered is what grip level of tire the time out is based on

Sport Cup<Toyo<Hoosier<Michelin

The higher the grip teh sooner the time out.....wonder how long a slock based car has before a time out
I think it would be based on oem tires and not aftermarket. Next revision "Porsche approved rims and tires only and everything done by dealer". Another cash cow for PAG- sweet!!! Mike
Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I think it would be based on oem tires and not aftermarket. Next revision "Porsche approved rims and tires only and everything done by dealer". Another cash cow for PAG- sweet!!! Mike
So those running with slick grip may have short hub life

Ive always ran with toyo, it probably has kept the hubs in tact......

With cup car centerlocks or 5 lug you know the system is designed for slick type grip, and teh time out is designed for it too
Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So those running with slick grip may have short hub life

Ive always ran with toyo, it probably has kept the hubs in tact......

With cup car centerlocks or 5 lug you know the system is designed for slick type grip, and teh time out is designed for it too
oh boy. I just bought new OZ ultra centerlock wheels... afraid dealer is gonna mark me down...
Old 12-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yep !
Old 12-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW, I have about 40 track days using Michelin Slicks on my '10 RS with no issues except replacing the drive spindles (those red things) on the front wheels.

Dealer maintained, even at the track. Cleaned lubed and inspected daily at the track.

With regards to five bolt hubs, I recall seeing a 2006 Cup car lost a wheel when the bolts sheared off in a fast corner. The Cup manual calls for replacements as I recall, so they do "time out".

I can't say I love my CL (like Peter) but I've had no issues so far other than the extra steps needed to change wheels and of course the clean/lube thing.

Regards,
Old 12-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Then your hubs are timed out ? Are you planning on replacing ?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
FWIW, I have about 40 track days using Michelin Slicks on my '10 RS with no issues except replacing the drive spindles (those red things) on the front wheels.

Dealer maintained, even at the track. Cleaned lubed and inspected daily at the track.

With regards to five bolt hubs, I recall seeing a 2006 Cup car lost a wheel when the bolts sheared off in a fast corner. The Cup manual calls for replacements as I recall, so they do "time out".

I can't say I love my CL (like Peter) but I've had no issues so far other than the extra steps needed to change wheels and of course the clean/lube thing.

Regards,
Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Then your hubs are timed out ? Are you planning on replacing ?
So with the new proposed guidelines effectively timing out your rear hubs, how do you plan to proceed now Bob? Will you swap them out or continue to run on them?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kormaster
oh boy. I just bought new OZ ultra centerlock wheels... afraid dealer is gonna mark me down...
So did I......

...this is ugly!

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 CL recall, a NEW recall