GT2 as a Track Car: Any Downsides?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yes, 997 GT2, thanks for clarifying that. I've heard the 996 GT2 is the one sometimes called the 'widowmaker', so I'm staying away .
I imagine the 997-2 could make someone a widow if driven stupidly.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:12 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Short answer, no problem.

Long answer, change a couple of things on the car, definitely no problem with heat soak or "lag" unless you don't like turbochargers or don't know how to drive them. Turn off SC and rear rotors will last as long as fronts. In stock form the suspension is forgiving and will push. Respect the power and you'll be fine.

90% of what the others recommend to do to the GT2, you would also do to the GT3/RS cars too. So they are the same on that front.
Exactly..GT3 and GT2 are not so different..the tuboi lag is a myth..even in my GT3 below 5000rpm not mus is happening. However, a GT3 is easier drive in the sense that you have to think less about shifting - as the rpm band is much higher - this is what I really miss in a GT2...but you can get used to it.

Brakes: I have the GT3 CUP original Porsche brakes in ..not cheap but good.

However, be prepared that tracking any GT3 or GT2 will cost some serious additional money..in fact the main thing for most people to cut down on tracking is money..

PS: I dont think the 991 GT3 can really beat a 997 GT2..we are still missing 80HP in the new one...and with 10K investement, your 997 GT2 will become a GT2RS contender..

Good luck with the search,
Old 11-25-2012, 02:51 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The downside is you'll be the fastest guy out there with no one to aim at. Does the 997 GT2 have PSM? It's been a useful learning tool on my GT3.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 AM
GuyR
Racer

996 GT2 was a 'widowmaker' because it had so much torque and no traction control. It's very easy for drivers who don't think to mash the go-pedal in a higher gear and find that even at low revs the back end kicks out in the damp/wet. Mine had a 630hp Ruf engine and even though I have loads of track experience there were still a few times it surprised me, I even had the back kick at 120mph on the highway in a straight line in 6th when driving in the very cold (30F and on track Corsas). In the wet on the Nurburging it was utterly terrifying - adrenal overload!

The 997GT2 on the other hand has a far more benign chassis and also benefits from traction and stability control. When I collected mine from the factory in 2008 I was driving on the Autobahn and at about 165mph through a corner it hit a compression joint in the road and did a slight kick at the back and the PSM lights all lit up, but the car was stable. My 996GT2 would have at least required a massive armful of lock quickly and would have been 50:50 for a big crash. To be fair to the car it was probably the tyres still being greasy when new, as it only had about 100miles on the clock at that point.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Drove it like you stole it...nice!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

I prefer the linear power of N/A motor. Allows for more precise driving which will make you a better driver, as GT2 is the poster child for slow in, fast out. GT3/RS allows you to really work the turns and be at the razor's edge with control... throttle steering is a real thing and is a valuable tool. GT2 doesn't really offer that. It's more of a sledge hammer.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:28 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
I prefer the linear power of N/A motor. Allows for more precise driving which will make you a better driver, as GT2 is the poster child for slow in, fast out. GT3/RS allows you to really work the turns and be at the razor's edge with control... throttle steering is a real thing and is a valuable tool. GT2 doesn't really offer that. It's more of a sledge hammer.
fully correct...but I wouldt say that the GT2 is a sledge hammer..however, I can clearly say that the suspension setup is much better inm 997.2GT3RS than in GT2 997 - stock. But agian, the power difference (acceleration) especially at higher speeds - is striking. When I drove the Gt2 for the frist time and compared it then to my 3.6 I was buffled..I was asking myself "bloody hell, the GT3 is already a good car..but in no way can it compete with the GT2 - this one is on a different planet...the difference is bigger than I anticipated"
Old 11-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

I should note that the GT2 I'm considering has had quite a bit of work done on it, to the tune of substantial $$, by someone who knows what he's doing, but I don't know the specifics yet.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manifold
I should note that the GT2 I'm considering has had quite a bit of work done on it, to the tune of substantial $$, by someone who knows what he's doing, but I don't know the specifics yet.
As a track day car you will be limited by the tires no matter what has been done to it, so if you're running OE tires with NA GT3/RS around you also with stock tires, you will have similar ultimate cornering speeds less any extra mass from turbocharging and options.

But you should be a lot faster on the straights and it's arguably a better car for public road use.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:08 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by a.928
fully correct...but I wouldt say that the GT2 is a sledge hammer..however, I can clearly say that the suspension setup is much better inm 997.2GT3RS than in GT2 997 - stock. But agian, the power difference (acceleration) especially at higher speeds - is striking. When I drove the Gt2 for the frist time and compared it then to my 3.6 I was buffled..I was asking myself "bloody hell, the GT3 is already a good car..but in no way can it compete with the GT2 - this one is on a different planet...the difference is bigger than I anticipated"
997 GT2 suspension is very similar to a 997 GT3, but as you said the acceleration between the two is striking. So with a few $'s invested in suspension and setup, you have Great Handling, and Sledge Hammer acceleration. Sounds like a recipe, FTW.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

For a fun street car and a track day car a GT2 would be awesome.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
Get the GT2, you will not be sorry.
Couple of modifications that made a huge difference, suspension tweaks, camber alignment, and wevo engine mounts. If you need more sound aftermarket exhaust, will yield more power as well. Let the others enjoy your tail lights.

As you will see there is no shortage of power, or all the other nonsense posted.....
Except for coaching.

https://vimeo.com/38826655

Agree Turbo lag is nonsense. You will not get the throttle response of na but there are no surges unless you are babying it around the corner in which case even NA will surge, just quicker.

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
I prefer linear as well but unfortunately Porsche doesnt make one that's capable of keeping up with the well driven vettes and vipers that isnt a cup or cgt.

As for slow in fast out. Disagree. Turns can be worked plenty with turbos.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

I have a 996 GT2 and can say that if you treat it with respect, understand that toenails are for feeling acceleration and drive the line the car wants you to drive it is safe and tons of fun. Now this said we have done major modification to the suspension, in fact there is virtually no part that has not been modified however the car is now stable and does not need PSM. if you want some details i have a thread under Garage Queen over on the 996 page. in fact i have a few vids there of this last weekend at NOLA.

Bottom line buy the car you will not regret it and the power warps time and space, but for sure get great seats, full halo, Hans, harness and then strap yourself into the rocket and see what fun can be like.

Quick Reply: GT2 as a Track Car: Any Downsides?