Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Numeric Racings Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Numeric Racings Short Shifter

Here are some photos of the install of my recently acquired Numeric Racing 997.1 GT3 Short Shifter . Took about 1.5hours all in.

Initial feedback, very positive gear change (I am using the standard- bottom hole), much more positive than before. No down sides yet. Time will tell if it improves the 2nd to 3rd shift (baulking).

Once I have done some miles I will change the cables to Cups now I know how easy it is.

I noticed online everyone takes the seats out to do this sort of work, it isn't necessary.

Very happy with this quality product!

Cheers
Jay
Attached Images      
Old 11-20-2012, 01:52 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work, are you trying to improve the 2-3 shift?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:18 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Yep, so far I have replaced the engine mounts with semi-solid RSS items and now this gear linkage. I have OEM Cup cables and Torque Solutions urethane gearbox mount but want to do one item at a time to see what makes the biggest difference.

Considering ho robust the standard shifter looks on removal I am surprised at how much more positive Numerics solution feels in a good way... Very tactile.

I haven't had time to put some more miles on and test the 2nd to 3rd gear change fully.

Jay
Old 11-22-2012, 03:26 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Well today I had chance to test this set up fully. Gear shifts are crisp and accurate. 2nd to 3rd shifts are much improved to the point of being easy (read as they should be!).

Still can't find a down side, no noise or vibes just great feel and precision.

Highly recommended

Jay
Old 11-22-2012, 05:20 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

how much did this cost, please?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:38 AM
theinz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw these for sale at Motorsports by Reeves in Tampa
Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Tom and Clarke, get with Burke or my neighbor Scott at the Dec Chin DE, they have these in there cars now if you want to check them out.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:38 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks like a nice piece. Can't imagine its going to be a shorter throw than the stock gt3. The stock shifter is way to short in my opinion. It overruns the syncro's and wears the transmission out too fast. The shift effort is notchy and too high. The best setup I like is the stock 996 cup shifter and cables. Factory parts and feels perfect.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:26 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

How hard would this be, along with cup cables, as a DIY? My car has a roll bar, would it need to come out to fish the cables through?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Guys,

First I paid $750 including shipping around the world, original price was $989 but Dan has upped production which has lowered the cost. Bargain!

I have it set in the standard/longest throw which matches the standard shift for throw length but massively improves feel and precision, it doesn't feel like you are 'over running' the syncro's (baulking) like it did as standard where the plastic housing is what causes the poor shift, you need this alloy cage that holds the shift mech for the added rigidity and precision it imposes! Just adding a shorter throw lever like some kits do obviously doesn't address the flimsy plastic housing and its this, that's the main culprit of the vague baulking shifts.

At some stage I will change the throw as its a 5 min job (lift gear lever gaiter and move the pivot pin up one or two holes and report back.

Provided in the kit is a compressive photo based instructions, it took me 1.5 hours and thats with drinking tea and admiring Numeric Racings and my work! I could now do the change over in under an hour no problem... very easy DIY with no special tools needed. You don't even need the Porsche OEM gear lever setting tool, just put the lever into the position you want and tighten everything up.

I too have euro buckets and cage, doesn't make any difference as the cables pass through a grommet by the hand brake lever so when the centre console is removed access is right there and no further stripping is required and no fishing as its right in front of your face with easy access for your hands. Cup cables would add another hour to the install time over the shift linkage mainly to jack the car up and remove the gear box undertray again easy.

Happy to guide you or answer questions

Jay
Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is this different than the CMS shifter?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

PJS,

I think the difference is this is a low profile shifter that fits under the trim/centre console with out modification to anything and keeps the gear lever and gaiter at the same height/position. The CMS puts the lever higher and nearer the steering wheel.

For race use i.e no centre console, Numeric Racing do a machined alloy kit that moves the lever and mechanism nearer the steering wheel too so same result I guess if this is desired.

Note I have no affiliation to Dan or Numeric Racing, just a happy customer who likes good engineering solutions, even my machinist was in admiration of the design quality and machining involved with Numerics product.

Thanks
Jay
Old 11-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

I did consider the CMS option but wanted to keep my interior trim as Porsche designed and it didn't compare on price point although for the right product I am willing to spend!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:00 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CMS not cae

For your reference
http://www.californiamotorsports.net...%20shifter.htm

I have a CMS and like it
Old 11-22-2012, 10:37 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts