Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Numeric Racings Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Has anyone tried Numeric's shifter cables? Are they as noisy as the cup cables?

I'd like to do all three, but this is still a street car so if there is an option that gets me 80% of the way to bliss, but 80% of the noise, then I'd go that route.

-Shifter
-Mounts (softer bushing compound?)
-Cable (Numeric's)

thoughts?
Old 04-06-2013, 01:44 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will, need to get back on to Dan to send me a paypal invoice.

Have been running mine at the track this week, only had one bulk and that was me being too keen and gripping the gear leaver too hard lol! Shifted beautifully each and every other shift so with the amount of track time/miles its proven.

Noises isn't an issue, car does pick up a few vib's at certain rpms but have been able to illiterate nearly all with clothe tape and removing lose coins etc. You feel the differences rather than hear it. Car feels raw and great!

Jay
Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Anyone got round-about instructions for how to install this stuff? Eddie is hooking me up with a care package
Old 04-17-2013, 12:03 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shoot me an e-mail - we carry these great Numeric Porsche items -
Old 06-14-2013, 06:50 PM
martinkm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake

I'd like to do all three, but this is still a street car so if there is an option that gets me 80% of the way to bliss, but 80% of the noise, then I'd go that route.

-Shifter
-Cable (Numeric's)

thoughts?
anyone with the numeric racing cables able to answer the question about cabin noise vs. OEM or the cup cables?
Old 06-14-2013, 06:58 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

sorry i've been asleep not paying attention....
can someone tell me what the mounts are?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:25 AM
dawgdog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the numeric shifter with cup cables and the urethane trans mount and found the noise unbearable. Switched to numeric cable and cut the noise by at least a third. If I had it to do over again I might not have done the transmission mount.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:18 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Which mounts?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:23 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake

-Shifter
-Cable (Numeric's)

thoughts?
These mounts you refer to
Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drl
These mounts you refer to
I was asking which mounts dawgdog tried that were high on NVH. I have a set from Eddie, black, soft compound waiting to go in.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgdog
I tried the numeric shifter with cup cables and the urethane trans mount and found the noise unbearable. Switched to numeric cable and cut the noise by at least a third. If I had it to do over again I might not have done the transmission mount.
Semi-solid trans mount on the front will communicate "unbearable" NVH in almost any 911. If the car has PDEM, that might make things worse because the front mount is the thing connecting the car to the chassis and all the movement creating noise is concentrated through that connection. It's not an intuitive thing to cut down on NVH. Just putting some heavy sound mat under the floor boards can make a phenomenal difference because the tub behaves like a passive acoustic resonator, effectively amplifying noises that really aren't that loud at origin. Keep in mind this horrible idea of adding weight actually lowers the C/G moment of the car, lowers the roll center, brings the center of the car forward, does all good things and does little more than add maybe 5lb of material. Not something that really improves a car's handling, but I'd argue short of a race car adding ballast, there's no harm in a little sound mat material in even the purist track day car.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:30 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,793 Likes on 2,161 Posts

Got my Numeric Racing shifter and cup cables this week and will be getting them installed in a few weeks. I'll report back on my impressions.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:07 AM
dawgdog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what bushing my shop (Cantrell Motorsports) put in. I will check with them next week when I drop my wheels off for the track day they are sponsoring next week at Thunderhill. Wish I had been more knowledgeable and asked for a softer mount.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:11 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems there is either a design flaw or manufacturing defect w/ the Numeric shifter. Mine failed a few weeks ago, and now another incident by another driver (same shifter, also a 997.2GT3RS) just today.

I lost a $275 lapping day and ate a vacation day to mine failing. The main shifter rod snapped into two on mine on the first lap when pulling 3->4. Luckily the Cantrell guys were present to offer assist. There was a nearby aircraft welder available to welded it back together and it was back in the car w/in an hour, but it snapped again in a different location after a few laps either because welding compromised the heat treatment or other fractures were present and I simply worked my way onto the next one. From the photo below you can see that the rod is bent some, which may have lead to fractures in the heat treated material. We called it a day, jerry-rigged the shifter back together w/ 2-part steel epoxy so I could make the trip home (shifting very gently).

My first question on seeing the part prior to initial installation was, 'why did Numeric step the diameter down so much ... is it strong enough??' Those were my actual words. It doesn't taken an engineer ... but, I was assured yes, never a problem and used in competition. Well???

I cannot see any reason why Numeric stepped down the diameter so much below the pivot, and there's a lot of mechanical leverage from above. It seems like a really bad idea, but giving the benefit of doubt, would for Numeric to provide an explanation. Hopefully not a case of function following form (i.e., because it looks cool).

I recommend to Numeric they don't step down quite so much. Even a small increase in diameter will yield significantly greater bending strength. (The inner core contributes virtually nothing by comparison so they hollow out the rod it weight savings is the driving factor -- although this would seem like overkill.) Numeric replaced the part for free, and cited possible impurities in materials as potential cause. I can accept this but stepping up the diameter will make part less susceptible to failure in such events.

I really like the Numeric shifter. It provides me with solid links all the way back to the gearbox and shifting is very precise. Also, I hate stupidly short shifters and prefer the OEM length on the RS, and the Numeric shifter allows me to retain that. There's really very little to be gained with a short shifter except a missed shift here and there which will eat up far more time than the 0.005 seconds possibly saved by reducing length of throw.

In photos below:

- First photo shows broken shifter.
- Second photo shows welded shifter (which failed again in a different location). Why is the diameter on this part stepped down so much?? Seems unnecessary. You don't need to be 'power shifting' like a drag racer to introduce quite a bit of stress into this region given the significant mechanical leverage that exists above the pivot point (not seen here).
Attached Images   
Old 07-05-2013, 04:52 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,793 Likes on 2,161 Posts

Had my numeric shifter and cup cables installed. I love the bolt action notchy shifting, very precise with a shorter throw. Getting into reverse took a few times to get used to, but was no problem after that. The cup cables do make a bit of noise that the OEM ones don't but since I'm running a Fabspeed exhaust the noise from the cup cables is barely noticeable. Overall I'm pretty happy with the mod. I guess I'll keep the OEM in my car on track days just in case.

Quick Reply: Numeric Racings Short Shifter