Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New PCA DE centerlock tech inspection requirement

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Better late than never. I could never understand why it was not required in the past.

Step 1 about the recall: If recall was not carried out, owner should be informed and asked to get it done before the NEXT event.

Step 2 is appropriate and should have been there from the beginning. It is not a hardship to inspect this at tech.

Step 3 might be a bit much to ask of an owner who does not get involved in the maintenance of his car. This should be covered on the tech inspection form, and signed off by the tech who did the inspection.
with growing number of 97.2 GT3's in Rennsport we could potentially have 2 tech lines.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

The replacement centerlock nut after the recall is identical to the previous one except the stamped torque spec is removed. A lot of hype so PAG could cover their *** for indicating a torque spec which was too low.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The regions may have to step up and buy real mans torque wrench! Just have the driver bring his socket with him to tech.
Seen many of times where tech just shakes their heads and passes me on not knowing what to do. Good thing to verify. Maybe just add to the tech sheets like roll bars for open cars. Done during shop inspection before coming to the track. Just have to rely on owner competence if they are changing wheels after that point.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The replacement centerlock nut after the recall is identical to the previous one except the stamped torque spec is removed. A lot of hype so PAG could cover their *** for indicating a torque spec which was too low.
Although the nut is the same, the presence of the updated nut does at least indicate the car, hubs, wheels and nut were inspected by the dealer for signs of wear or damage. At least we hope it was.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Chris, true. On the other hand the inspection you mention should be done every time the wheel is removed. My drive spindles (those red things) were worn on my front wheels and replaced as part of my pre-track inspection.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNR
The regions may have to step up and buy real mans torque wrench! Just have the driver bring his socket with him to tech.
Seen many of times where tech just shakes their heads and passes me on not knowing what to do. Good thing to verify. Maybe just add to the tech sheets like roll bars for open cars. Done during shop inspection before coming to the track. Just have to rely on owner competence if they are changing wheels after that point.
that is a bad idea to put the torque wrench on the wheels in a tech line. You should not put a wrench to the wheels unless the car is up in the air.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 AM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

After checking recall documentation once, a sticker could be affixed to the car (inside of windshield?) showing the documentation has been checked, and doesn't need to be done each subsequent track day.

This would be similar to some regions who check your helmet once for snell date, then affix a sticker to the outside, so they don’t have to turn the helmet inside out every time.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DER951
After checking recall documentation once, a sticker could be affixed to the car (inside of windshield?) showing the documentation has been checked, and doesn't need to be done each subsequent track day.

This would be similar to some regions who check your helmet once for snell date, then affix a sticker to the outside, so they don’t have to turn the helmet inside out every time.
not sure what this would be for or how it would help anything. If you had the recall, then the parts are changed - you can see new part without numbers. If the caps are off, you can see if inside nut is in outer position. Done. But as far as torque, not possible to check in a tech line. As for condition of the spline/hubs/threads - not possible in a tech line.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ray09c2s
I have my dealer tech the car before each DE, and only use their best mechanic to check and handle my wheels, with me there assisting
This is how I do it. When I pull the car from storage I stop at the dealer and have them check the wheels. They charge me 1/2 hour of labour. While it's on the lift they clean out the brake rotors and give the car a quick once over.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Bono
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys, hopefully this doesn't turn into a witch hunt on drivers with centerlock wheels. 1) proper Castrol grease 2) torqued to 444 ft. lbs. with tire off ground 3) locking mechanism engaged properly. I started another thread and trying to separate fact from fiction in terms of the CL mechanism. I have them, have studied the procedure and have tracked my car with them. It is really very straight forward. Our guys at the tech station will need a bigger high quality torque wrench. The larger torque wrench capable of 444 ft. lbs. is important so you can torque wrench directly to wheel. You do not want a torque multiplier in between the wrench and wheel.

Last edited by Bono; 10-26-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:10 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

No way tech line should be dealing with CL's, other than looking to see the spline is fully extended. Make drivers aware of the seriousness of proper wheel service--maybe even run a beginning of season demonstration clinic-- but the driver or driver's mechanic needs to be responsible for 444lbs.

Personally, I can't fathom dealing with centerlocks, but I digress.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
not sure what this would be for or how it would help anything. If you had the recall, then the parts are changed - you can see new part without numbers. If the caps are off, you can see if inside nut is in outer position. Done. But as far as torque, not possible to check in a tech line. As for condition of the spline/hubs/threads - not possible in a tech line.
Yep +1...they would have to jack the car up to check each wheel. If you loosen the CL nut you have to take it off and re-grease then re-torque. Plus if some tech line guy jacked the car improperly and damaged something or the torque wrench feel off the CL nut which it can do and mark up someones wheel....talk about a tech line nightmare!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:46 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Bono
guys, hopefully this doesn't turn into a witch hunt on drivers with centerlock wheels. 1) proper Castrol grease 2) torqued to 444 ft. lbs. with tire off ground 3) locking mechanism engaged properly. I started another thread and trying to separate fact from fiction in terms of the CL mechanism. I have them, have studied the procedure and have tracked my car with them. It is really very straight forward. Our guys at the tech station will need a bigger high quality torque wrench. The larger torque wrench capable of 444 ft. lbs. is important so you can torque wrench directly to wheel. You do not want a torque multiplier in between the wrench and wheel.
A 4X torque multiplier + a good 150ft-lb capacity Snapon or CDI wrench is far easier to deal with.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Bono
u clearly know how to do it.
but the fact you are talking about the above shows it's not intuitive.
if it's not intuitive, ppl will get it wrong.
look, a baby knows to suck the nipple with mouth.
babies dont try to suck the nipple with their eyeball or stuff the nipple into their ears. it's intuitive.

done right, no prob.
done wrong (USER ERROR), not so good.
walk around track next time out. you be AMAZED how many CL guys just can't get it right.

Quick Reply: New PCA DE centerlock tech inspection requirement