Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

new video of Ruf RGT-8 (flat-6 purists beware!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Not interested.
I could buy a track unworthy Italian kit car looking car for that money..
Old 09-05-2012, 05:40 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Maybe I will win the powerball soon. I would go minimalistic, but unique and lightweight. This would be a good time to buy as the 991 will remain current for a long tiume affecting the resale value.
Aah ha - very easy to do but very very expensive...... you would be a popular customer.

R+C
Old 09-05-2012, 07:09 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

my friend, can i recommend a visit to RUF to be included in for next trip to Europe
first weekend in october, FIA european hill-climb challange in Mickhausen is going to be 20km away from mindelheim...
Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

amazing vid thanks for sharing
Noticed 715xxx KM's on the Yellowbird!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
1. I can wait, waited 23 months for my RS.
Same here. Ordered last four cars and had no problem waiting. Much prefer to have it built my way.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:34 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look at the CTR in the video, notice the NACA ducts. That is one and only Yellowbird 01, Alois Ruf's own car. The only downside is I doubt we will ever see one on our shore. Ruf hasn't certified a car for the US for years. RAC and Ruf split due to RAC having deposits on cars and Ruf being unable to deliver any. It is also as bad trying to get Ruf parts. It took almost a year for Ruf in Germany to provide a replacement exhaust tip for 1 of the 2 997.1 RGTs in the US.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:54 AM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Peter
Any decent Porsche race shop should be able to look after a Ruf
YES for any Ruf with a Porsche based motor. the RT12 has been looked after by the sole Porsche dealer in this country and it has been very easy.

there was one time the motor went into limp mode so Alois sent over a mechanic from Germany within a week. luckily this was during warranty period and it was all expenses paid by Ruf. it turned out to be a bracket on the cam angle sensor (i can't remember exactly, but it was a Porsche part) that had simply broken off so the sensor wasn't getting the correct reading and put the engine into safe mode. was a 1 hour fix!

since then i usually just put in a call or email to HP Lieb at Ruf if i have any questions, and the Porsche guys here do the work. its been a pretty painless ownership experience that last 6 years!

HOWEVER, what happens if its an RGT-8? i'd love to see the face of a Porsche tech when he pops the engine compartment, and WTF...

don't get me wrong, i'm obviously a Ruf fanboy, but servicing on the V8 post warranty period would be something to think about...

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Ruf hasn't certified a car for the US for years. RAC and Ruf split due to RAC having deposits on cars and Ruf being unable to deliver any. It is also as bad trying to get Ruf parts. It took almost a year for Ruf in Germany to provide a replacement exhaust tip for 1 of the 2 997.1 RGTs in the US.
i can't comment on what happened between RAC and Ruf; had some very early correspondence with Wayne Corley at RAC years ago, got a Ruf strut brace back then for our 996TT, and they were great guys to work with, based on that brief experience.

at the same time, have ordered brake pads, rotors, emblems, and various other parts for the RT12 directly from Pfaffenhausen, and Ruf have almost always been pretty quick to act.

i CAN imagine though that if there was a lot of demand for Ruf VIN cars from RAC, it may have been more than Pfaffenhausen to handle all at once.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

I wonder how this car fares vs. the 458. They should be in the same price bracket right? My guess the 458 will have a slight edge due to its electronic nannies. Of course a RUF is far more exclusive.

Hesperus, I remember your Dad sharing how Alois spent time with him during the day and inviting him for dinner w/ some fine wine. Now that experience is something I would die for.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by hesperus

since then i usually just put in a call or email to HP Lieb at Ruf if i have any questions, and the Porsche guys here do the work. its been a pretty painless ownership experience that last 6 years!

HOWEVER, what happens if its an RGT-8? i'd love to see the face of a Porsche tech when he pops the engine compartment, and WTF...

don't get me wrong, i'm obviously a Ruf fanboy, but servicing on the V8 post warranty period would be something to think about...

Well, I was thinking that given the engine's designer, it IS a Porsche motor. I suspect that somebody like Andial would be able to follow what is happening.

The last time I worked with a German manufacturer on resolving all the issues associated exporting into the US market, we found the whole affair totally do-able and even got some cars over there to show how it could be arranged. Even all the third party liability issues were resolved. And as for safety testing issues, we created a single engineering program for US and Europe, reducing the cost to manageable proportions. We did a lot of modelling.

R+C
Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Serge944
Probably one of the best 911s on the planet. I would love to experience one.
+1. 8 Cylinders is the only way I'd have a non Turbo 911.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
+1. 8 Cylinders is the only way I'd have a non Turbo 911.
Drive a 4 or 4.2 liter flat-6. Trust me. Your opinion will change. My 4 liter was only about 30 lb/ft shy of the RGT-8.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Drive a 4 or 4.2 liter flat-6. Trust me. Your opinion will change. My 4 liter was only about 30 lb/ft shy of the RGT-8.

I doubt it, the ceiling is still too low. I will not leave myself with no chance of beating the modded and well driven Corvettes, Vipers, GT-R's of the world or needing to spend 200k just to get in ballpark.

It's not about feelings for me, it's about beating up on the competition. Anything NA other than a used 997 Cup Car and that = 200k just to start with a Porsche.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

In that case, get a z06. 650 hp with a new cam and exhaust. No brainer.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

In that case, get a z06. 650 hp with a new cam and exhaust. No brainer.
I will....... when they build a forged motor from the factory. But will not until then. Have not seen one with that HP yet that doesn't regularly have motor issues. Once you mod them, they are some unreliable suckers.

Next car now is lining up to be an ACR. But that's only when I feel that I can't go any faster in my TT and they can. Haven't crossed that line yet.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

the stopwatch will prove otherwise.

Why the need to diss a V-8 designed by one of Porsche's great engine builders

R+C

Quick Reply: new video of Ruf RGT-8 (flat-6 purists beware!)