Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Roll call: Watkins Glen Aug 24-26 PCA Northeast DE

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Grady was behind me from the start. Skip to 10:30ish to see me following Grady.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I forgot how cool WG is!
Thanks for posting.

Whith these point by's you never get into a rythm..

Supersolo and Dave Murry is where to go, followed by Chin passing everywhere with better drivers in the red group and black flags for slow point by's.

No camera behind you in Vbox? Could you put the one in the window behind you instead?
You did not swap gears from they white one yet? 5th and 6th are shorter right? Big difference.

Once you add all the chetar parts and fresh Hoosiers, you will do 2:03's.. Good driving..
Old 08-28-2012, 11:05 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

no, I have not swapped out the 6th gear yet. But wouldn't help at WGI, as you can see the only time I used 6th was for 1 second before the bus stop. Would help at VIR though on back stretch, and at Road America.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Grady was behind me from the start. Skip to 10:30ish to see me following Grady.
Grady showed a lot of constraint passing. Did he get talked to before the session LOL.
I love seeing Grady drive, tries to make the cars move over revving the engine

You are both very fast, he seems to have a few more revs and perhaps little less bottom end because of 19" taller gearing?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:16 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Grady showed a lot of constraint passing. Did he get talked to before the session LOL.
I love seeing Grady drive, tries to make the cars move over revving the engine

You are both very fast, he seems to have a few more revs and perhaps little less bottom end because of 19" taller gearing?
yeh, the taller gearing makes him faster on the big straights though
Old 08-28-2012, 01:19 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

@Clarke, this makes it your first ever officially won DE Cup event. Congratulations!

You also get: "2012 Watkins Glen International DE Cup World Series Champion" with a time of 2:05.24

Your Aero Beetle has adjustable sway bars front and rear, use them and you'll go faster.

For hose clamps, go with ABA, 316 Stainless Steel, and tested better than the military spec Ideal and Tridon hose clamps. The Porsche stuff is crappy (same with Fiat). I'm buying a batch of these clamps in the next few days to replace a leaking one from the Cayman, and any other Cayman clamp that could be replaced. Doing the same with the Fiat right after. Better safe than sorry.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:45 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Clarke, something doesn't look right with your speeds before the bus stop. My old 996 GT3 (stock engine/trans 100 lbs lighter than stock) back in 2005 without the go-fast mods, on 265/335 MPSC (they don't make the 335x18 MPSC anymore), 153 mph indicated with an instructor onboard, and 156mph driving solo (148 mph and 151mph corrected for speedo error and taller rear tires). My friend Carlos gets to 141 mph actual speed in a Cayman (295Hp) on R6.

I believe you're not driving T2/T3/T4 like Trakcar: FlatOut.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:11 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Probably the worst group I have ever run with
you are aware that on 29/30th HVR runs an event at WGI with an open passing for advanced drivers?
NASA also has open passing events there.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:15 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Clarke, something doesn't look right with your speeds before the bus stop. My old 996 GT3 (stock engine/trans 100 lbs lighter than stock) back in 2005 without the go-fast mods, on 265/335 MPSC (they don't make the 335x18 MPSC anymore), 153 mph indicated with an instructor onboard, and 156mph driving solo (148 mph and 151mph corrected for speedo error and taller rear tires). My friend Carlos gets to 141 mph actual speed in a Cayman (295Hp) on R6.

I believe you're not driving T2/T3/T4 like Trakcar: FlatOut.
- he is using shorter 18s (about 4-5% shorter if that matters - not sure where the speed data is coming from)
- look at his video at the bottom of the esses - it stops climbing for a bit so likely not flat at the bottom

what is very high however is his entry speed over the first and second turtles into the bus stop - 10mph higher than most - most cars are 82mph - clarke goes over turtle #1 completely at 95
Old 08-28-2012, 02:18 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by utkinpol
you are aware that on 29/30th HVR runs an event at WGI with an open passing for advanced drivers?
NASA also has open passing events there.
BULL****. That is a PCA event. There is NO OPEN PASSING IN PCA!!!!
Here is a quote from that region promoting this event at WGI:

"The Open Track sessions will be run with Driver's Education rules, however, there will be open passing with a signal anywhere the track is straight."

Sorry, that is not OPEN PASSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OPEN PASSING is 1) no signals of any kind, 2) pass anywhere, anytime. The only DE that I know of that does it is PBOC SuperSolo.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:22 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- he is using shorter 18s (about 4-5% shorter if that matters - not sure where the speed data is coming from)
- look at his video at the bottom of the esses - it stops climbing for a bit so likely not flat at the bottom

what is very high however is his entry speed over the first and second turtles into the bus stop - 10mph higher than most - most cars are 82mph - clarke goes over turtle #1 completely at 95
I was driving like a *****. So slow up the essess and into the bus stop. The whole coolant leak was making me **** my pants - I was so scared the whole time. Wish I had the video on the first day with new hoohoos - before the coolant dumped - I was driving like Kyle Bush with my hair on fire!!!! NO LIFT!!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:31 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

nasa runs real open passing event for group4 drivers, with 'optional but recommended point-by signal'. there are also time trials. as of how HVR treats their open passing event you can check with Lou from HVR. LDauerer(AT) aol.com

Last edited by utkinpol; 08-28-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:54 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by utkinpol
nasa runs real open passing event for group4 drivers, with 'optional but recommended point-by signal'. there are also time trials. as of how HVR treats their open passing event you can check with Lou from HVR. LDauerer(AT) aol.com

PCA is a PCA, it is all about safety for all participants, it is a given. in some other clubs you would get black flagged for how you drove there, based on the video i see (as they have very flexible 'aggressive driver' definitions), so, if NER did let you finish this event i guess they were fine. scale has to be adjusted to what it is and it is simpler to comply than to object. to bitch about it or not will not change anything, it is how any east coast pca club works.
well, not all PCA are the same. Don't group them all together. NNJ, RTR and Schattenbaum are not as uptight as these idiots were. The three I just mentioned are trying their hardest to have a good event for the advanced drivers within, of course, national PCA rules. I feel for them. Wow, they do a fantastic job.

Yes, all PCA events have that "beginner" style, nanny type rules. How they interpret the rules on track and then further add more rules is up to them. PCA-NE is by far the worst I have ever seen. By FAR! (FWIW - I hear that there are a few PCA regions that are way worse than PCA-NE, holy crap!)

And I am not interested in CHANGE, I just alert others who/where the problems [for advanced DE drovers] are and move on.

Last edited by GT3DE; 08-28-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Red Bear
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

WGI is awsome! Here is the V Box in car with the data working:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/21zxPZTxW6k

Last edited by Red Bear; 08-28-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: link was not listed correctly
Old 08-28-2012, 03:01 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

PBOC SuperSolo: Open Passing
NASA HPDE-4: Open Passing
NASA TT: Open Passing
Speed Ventures Advanced Group: Open Passing

Chin: Mandatory point-by with passing everywhere
PCA (all chapters - Instructor's Group): Mandatory point-by
PCA (most chapters - Instructor's Group): Mandatory point-by and limited passing zones

Personally, I consider some instructors in PCA Red Group, unsafe, unaware and embarrassing. There should be a program that evaluates the consistency, driving skills, traffic awareness, courtesy on the instructor's group.

I applaud PBOC because they have hired a Coach to monitor the driving level on the Top level groups. Most PCA chapters should learn about this. I get into student cars, and we get stuck behind a car with an instructor on-board for 2 full laps, blind student and blind instructor is unacceptable. Then I run in the PCA Red group and I get amused by the level of unawareness and excessive pride.

It is always good to send email letters to the track chairs at a given event, with constructive criticism and ideas on how to make the experience better.

I like NASA HPDE and their mandatory download meetings. After a track sessions, the HPDE drivers get to a room, and discuss any incidents and issues during the previous track session. For the Time Trials group, the same thing happens during the mandatory impound.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
well, not all PCA are the same. Don't group them all together. NNJ, RTR and Schattenbaum are not as uptight as these idiots were.

+1

Quick Reply: Roll call: Watkins Glen Aug 24-26 PCA Northeast DE