Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:52 PM
vph_tony
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lbpalm
Hi Tony,
A few questions:

1. Can you also make VPh recommendations for the following cars for which I'd also like to get VPh batteries:
A. 2012 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca (mostly time trial, very little street);
B. Porsche 944 Turbo (race only) with Motec & M&W/Nology ignition setup.
- I've been running an Odyssey 680 in the 951 but suspect that it may be contributing to electrical issues... (not really sure though)

2. Do you know if the "BatteryMinder Plus" Model 12117 from VDC Electronics is a true "float" charger, or is it a trickle charger? The reason I ask is because I have used this unit on my 2007 GT3RS since new and now have a boiled-out/ruined battery.

3. Before I assume a multi-unit buy is OK by a single purchaser, is this OK?

4. Last, which float chargers do you recommend for the batteries above you may suggest?

Many Thanks!
1. VPH750, VPH900, or VPR-P6 for both. The Mustang Boss has a V8 engine, and the VPH750 may possibly be not enough, so you may want to lean towards the VPH900 or VPR-P6 for the Mustang. As for the PC680 in the 951, a new PC680 will work, but it is being highly stressed (the PC680 and similar lightweight batteries (10-15 pound range) are not meant for car use, and will sometimes last only a year in this application. I don't know if it's causing the issues you see, but I guess it could be possible.

2. Yes that charger should work fine according to the specs. You could have a bad unit possibly?

3. Yes.

4. We recommend the Battery Tender Jr, because it is inexpensive, and works.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:06 PM
vph_tony
Advanced

Agreed.
I was mainly curious to know if the chargers I have can cause problems with lead batteries, although I do understand that the Optima OMAX-12A-1B should not be used with wet cell units.
Hi lbpalm,
A good general rule of thumb is any "decent" charger should work, just don't use special modes like desulfation, etc. and you will be good!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:39 PM
lbpalm
Advanced

Thanks Tony,
I need to voltage check on the GT3RS.
Will be in touch.
Lee.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:41 PM
lbpalm
Advanced

Originally Posted by vph_tony
1. VPH750, VPH900, or VPR-P6 for both. The Mustang Boss has a V8 engine, and the VPH750 may possibly be not enough, so you may want to lean towards the VPH900 or VPR-P6 for the Mustang. As for the PC680 in the 951, a new PC680 will work, but it is being highly stressed (the PC680 and similar lightweight batteries (10-15 pound range) are not meant for car use, and will sometimes last only a year in this application. I don't know if it's causing the issues you see, but I guess it could be possible.

2. Yes that charger should work fine according to the specs. You could have a bad unit possibly?

3. Yes.

4. We recommend the Battery Tender Jr, because it is inexpensive, and works.

Thanks!
Tony,

Re: PC680, will it be stressed even if the alternator is putting out 14.0-14.7 volts?

Thanks again for answering what for are me somewhat perplexing questions.
Lee.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 PM
vph_tony
Advanced

Tony,

Re: PC680, will it be stressed even if the alternator is putting out 14.0-14.7 volts?

Thanks again for answering what for are me somewhat perplexing questions.
Lee.
It's not so much the voltage that the alternator's putting out, it's more so that starting the car is very hard on the battery. Also, the battery is more easily drained due to it's reduced capacity, and "deep cycling" (draining to near empty) a lead-acid battery reduces it's life and hurts it's performance. A PC680 has maybe 25% of the capacity of the OEM battery, and hence, the OEM battery will be drained less after say, 1 week without driving, while the PC680 will be drained to a much "deeper" level. This is because when a car is parked, it is still drawing power due to electronics, and other draws. There are lead-acid batteries that are "deep cycle" rated, but even still, this reduces it's life. A lithium battery does not have the cycling issues which is one advantage.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:50 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Tony,

How do the Voltphreaks batteries die, when they do? Do they give some warning, like a typical OEM lead-acid, or just suddenly die like most of our Odyssee's have?

Ibpalm,
I used the PC680 in my 69 Miura S, a fairly demanding application (long cable run with high demand starter). It worked fine as long as I didn't have an electrical or fuel issue. It only had enough reserve for about 5-6 good start attempts in that application. Even without problems, the PC680 only lasted about 2 to 2 1/2 years and that was with using a kill switch. If you are looking at an Odyssee battery, the 925 or 1200 make more sense (though heavier). We got 7 years out of a 925 in our 72 Dino GT, and it took a kill switch failure to do it in. They also don't require a special battery box.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 PM
vph_tony
Advanced

Hi stevecolletti,

It hasn't happened yet (since the batteries can last 10+ years) since the technology is too new. But, you should notice gradual loss of capacity. It might not be noticeable if you don't drain down the battery, though. For example, if the battery lasts 21 days (3 weeks) before needing a charge (parked car), after 5 years it might last 18 days. After 10 years it might last 14 days and be near dying, but if you drive the car every week, you won't notice this since it never drains down. You may notice that it gets weaker though and can't start the car as well. So, my guess is there will be "warning" signs but the battery will still be usable.

A Voltphreaks VPH750 in the same demanding application as the PC680 you mentioned, should have no trouble and last much longer (5-10, possibly 10+ years), as fully draining it does not damage the battery due to the LVC providing safety from over-discharge. (so, kill switch failures won't be harmful anymore).
Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, Tony

Too bad the PC1200 in the Dino is only a 8 months old.

How long can a Voltphreaks battery sit on a shelf and still be 'good'?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 AM
vph_tony
Advanced

Hi Steve,

If a Voltphreaks battery is fully discharged (meaning LVC has shut off battery), it can be stored 3-6 more months. This is because even if the LVC has shut the battery off to prevent over-discharge, the battery itself has self-discharge even if no load is drawing down the battery. For example, if the battery has 5% capacity left, and is shut off, it will still self-discharge 1-2% a month.

If you are storing the battery, the best way is to partially or fully charge the battery, and then shut it off. In this state, it can be stored 1-3 years or more. Though you may need to charge it before use if you store it an extremely long time.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:06 PM
lbpalm
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Hi Tony,

How do the Voltphreaks batteries die, when they do? Do they give some warning, like a typical OEM lead-acid, or just suddenly die like most of our Odyssee's have?

Ibpalm,
I used the PC680 in my 69 Miura S, a fairly demanding application (long cable run with high demand starter). It worked fine as long as I didn't have an electrical or fuel issue. It only had enough reserve for about 5-6 good start attempts in that application. Even without problems, the PC680 only lasted about 2 to 2 1/2 years and that was with using a kill switch. If you are looking at an Odyssee battery, the 925 or 1200 make more sense (though heavier). We got 7 years out of a 925 in our 72 Dino GT, and it took a kill switch failure to do it in. They also don't require a special battery box.
I've been using the 680 with seemingly good results for about 10 years (3 680s over that time period), although there is an issue with the Motec which I am wondering may be related to the 680.
Starting has never been a problem and the battery always comes back to the paddock with full charge after a 25 min. or so run.
Having said that there is a Motec issue which we cannot resolve. Wiring will most likely be replaced soon (asap) and I may opt to try a different battery as well, since at this point, I just want to move on...
Old 06-07-2012, 01:09 PM
lbpalm
Advanced

It's not so much the voltage that the alternator's putting out, it's more so that starting the car is very hard on the battery. Also, the battery is more easily drained due to it's reduced capacity, and "deep cycling" (draining to near empty) a lead-acid battery reduces it's life and hurts it's performance. A PC680 has maybe 25% of the capacity of the OEM battery, and hence, the OEM battery will be drained less after say, 1 week without driving, while the PC680 will be drained to a much "deeper" level. This is because when a car is parked, it is still drawing power due to electronics, and other draws. There are lead-acid batteries that are "deep cycle" rated, but even still, this reduces it's life. A lithium battery does not have the cycling issues which is one advantage.
Tony, do you have L x W x H dimensions on the VPH750, and also VPH900?
Thanks,
Lee.

Last edited by lbpalm; 06-07-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 PM
lbpalm
Advanced

Hi Steve,

If a Voltphreaks battery is fully discharged (meaning LVC has shut off battery), it can be stored 3-6 more months. This is because even if the LVC has shut the battery off to prevent over-discharge, the battery itself has self-discharge even if no load is drawing down the battery. For example, if the battery has 5% capacity left, and is shut off, it will still self-discharge 1-2% a month.

If you are storing the battery, the best way is to partially or fully charge the battery, and then shut it off. In this state, it can be stored 1-3 years or more. Though you may need to charge it before use if you store it an extremely long time.
Tony, What is the procedure for the group buy discount, & what is the G discount amount?
Thanks,
Lee.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:27 PM
vph_tony
Advanced

Tony, do you have L x W x H dimensions on the VPH750, and also VPH900?
Thanks,
Lee.
Hi Lee,

Dimensions can be found here for the VPH series, and here for the VPR series.

They can also be found at the individual product pages. To answer your specific question, the VPH750 is 8.3x5.1x3", while the VPH900 is 10x6.1x3", including the terminals. I have sent you a PM with group discount details. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Tony,
2011 GT3-I checked my voltage at the battery posts at idle with headlights on highbeam and AC on. I get 14.2 and was surprised it was that high(I've never used a multimeter before). Does that sound right? It is a cheapo meter from Harbor Freight. Think it's accurate?

Anyway, it was set on VDC and 20(the only setting that gave a reading in the range we're dealing with)
Thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 01:27 AM
vph_tony
Advanced

Originally Posted by paver
Tony,
2011 GT3-I checked my voltage at the battery posts at idle with headlights on highbeam and AC on. I get 14.2 and was surprised it was that high(I've never used a multimeter before). Does that sound right? It is a cheapo meter from Harbor Freight. Think it's accurate?

Anyway, it was set on VDC and 20(the only setting that gave a reading in the range we're dealing with)
Thanks
Hi Paver, should be good! Let's just assume some inaccuracy, even if the meter is reading say, 1/2 a volt too high somehow, that's still 13.7V which is plenty.

Quick Reply: Group Buy, Voltphreaks lithium battery group buy