Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My GT2 build over the last year

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GT2 build over the last year

Since Champion Motorsport doesn't post here, I've taken the liberty of compiling posts about my car into one thread here ala Ranger. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
So March seems like GT2 month at Champion Motorsport. Our yellow GT2 from last month is back for round II of mods, a white GT2 is on the way, and in the meantime, this amazing meteor gray beauty is only just beginning it's transition into a true race car. A race car that will compete in one of the most legendary endurance races in the US....the One Lap Of America. One Lap is 8 days of grueling races and testing that push both the driver and car to the limit. It not only requires a capable car, but performance that's both reliable and repeatable, principles that we've based our entire tuning program on.

The story begins about 3 weeks ago when the owner of this GT2 contacted me looking for some guidance on building a powerful race car to compete in the One Lap of America event for 2012. He had already decided on the GT2 to be the base platform, and after some lengthy discussions about the possibilities for improving both power output and, perhaps more importantly, versatility and reliability, the search began for the perfect GT2. As fate would have it, this meteor gray gem was for sale about 20 miles from our location. Only 1900 miles on the odometer, bone stock, completely loaded with carbon fiber and deviated stitching EVERYWHERE, and even a full leather PCM....we'd found our car! Within a short time, we took delivery and the fun begins! Here's a couple pictures on delivery...

This will be one of the most complete turbo builds we've done in a long time, where we'll be addressing both power and handling, along with a few other precautionary and reliability-based mods. The team here knows a thing or two about endurance racing , so some of that expertise will definitely be coming into play. The power package of choice will be our 68mm VTG turbochargers with complete power package. Maintaining low end power will be key to staying competitive in several of the One Lap events. Because One Lap uses a variety of venues, from skid-pad testing to road course racing, we'll also be creating a suite of ECU programs using GIAC's flashloader technology to accommodate high power and low power programs in both race and pump fuel. This will be one heck of a fun build, and I'll be making updates daily or whenever possible.

Work began a couple days ago as the engine and trans come out for round I of mods. Stay tuned for more as the build moves on...

This little beauty just arrived yesterday. The Guard GT2 Pro 60/40 limited slip differential.

Some more goodies that are going into this GT2 arrived the other day. Engine goes back in the car this week to prep for a visit and test drive by the owner.

Then it's on to the suspension and safety equipment...

New Guard GT2 Pro LSD on it's way in...

Time for a major update on the One Lap GT2. Engine should be back in and running by tomorrow, but in the meantime here's some pretty cool pictures of the LSD and tranny upgrades we've done to this car, and a few other trick mods.

First...as some Turbo and GT2 owners know, the car is plagued from the factory by faulty coolant distribution pipe. From the factory, the fittings are only held onto the pipe by epoxy, which almost always fatigues under heat and can cause the fittings to detach from the pipe. The result is an ugly mess. So to prevent this, we've taken the time to remove the pipe, and weld the fittings so that they can't come loose. It was a bit of a tedious process, requiring some machining of both parts to allow them to be welded together, but DEFINITELY a worthwhile process if your engine's already out.

Moving on to the transmission, we installed the Guard GT2 Pro 60/40 limited slip differential, along with a CMS billet aluminum differential cover. The CMS cover is designed to reduce flex in the transmission housing, which can lead to premature ring and pinion wear. Again...something that anyone doing a LSD upgrade should also consider. Before installing the new Guard LSD, measurements have to be taken to determine the correct installation height on the new LSD. Installing a new LSD is NOT as simple as taking out the old one and installing the new. We use the lathe not for machining purposes, but just to take extremely accurate measurements so we can calculate the width of shims that need to be used. In this case, the difference was less then .0005 of an inch on one side, but .025" on the other, which accounted for a diff and side cover change.

Here's a picture of the beautiful new CMS billet side-cover.

In this picture, you'll notice that the CMS cover also incorporates an adjustable brass safety stop, which is designed to prevent the ring gear from flexing away from the pinion under full load. This feature is typically found in racecar gearboxes...exactly like the GT1.

And ready to go back in the car...

Old 05-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

This is a pic of the back, engine installed. As you can see clearly, the CM intercoolers fit like OE.

Installed ERP suspension arms. I think the Heims are Aurora but correct me if I'm wrong.

I requested the largest OE brake ducts available.

How the car ended up, "Stage 1." April 2011. Most people would be esctatic with this as an end result. Interior changes include but not limited to GT2 leather carbon bucket seats, GMG rollbar, Schroth 6 point harnesses, Rennline track mats, and a Aimsports Solo DL wired in.

Last edited by Nick Wong; 05-22-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

From April through the summer I tested, and tested. And I wasn't the only one. Another CM customer was testing too with virtually the same build. Later in the summer Champion discovered several problems with the OE block- most importantly they discovered that the case halves were fretting. This is what happens when you make "real" power and actually use it.

So I decided to go whole hog, and go with the 3.8l kit.
I also hated the OE shocks and springs. Those had to go, and luckily Champion had a solution sitting in the shelf, unloved...

The solution- anti shuffle dowel pin guides at every bearing, plus some...

They also improved the windage of the stock case halves.

Now onto the rods. Champion spec'ed 997 turbo rods from Carillo. Funny thing is, with all the 997 turbos in the world with Carillo rods, there was NO 997 turbo specific rod from Carillo! As you can see below, the bearings are captured differently between the 996 and 997. I wonder what all the other companies are doing?

The other thing Champion did was strengthen the rod- increased the wall thickness over the 996 Carillo rod.

These 997 specific rods are available from Champion now. I think Carillo now produce a 997 generic rod due to the development with Champion.

Onto the heads. They are ported. We use Ferrea oversized valves and the whole spring/retainer kit.

Pistons- Mahle 3.8l kit with lightweight wristpins.

SLA rapid prototype of oversized MAF tubes.

I didn't like the Sachs pressure plate/four puck solid disc/AASCO flywheel clutch, so we went with a RPS/ERP triple plate carbon clutch. Much better engagement in my opinion.

And now the Ohlins CS kit. This was sitting on their shelves from another build where the spec was changed. Their loss is my gain! Four way fronts, 2 way rears.

And the final spec as shown in Champion Motorsport's showroom. This is after the final change- RS steel fenders and RS fender lips to clear the much bigger than OE tires and a GT2 RS lip spoiler. Tinted windows, and full front clearbra finished it off. I also found a used set of Champion RS184 five spoke rims in the same offset as my RS98's right here on RL- track wheels without futzing with offset changes between the two sets!

Hope you enjoyed it!

Last edited by Nick Wong; 05-22-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Speeling
Old 05-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome build, thanks for posting and enjoy it.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nick,

Are you running the Ohlin 700/1300 spring rates or did you change rates?

If so, how do you like them?

thanks

Paul
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Nick,

Are you running the Ohlin 700/1300 spring rates or did you change rates?

If so, how do you like them?

thanks

Paul
Fronts are 60/120nm. (tender/main)

Rears are 80/230nm.

The car is in Chicago. Worst roads I have ever seen apart from some third world locations. The spring combo is fine, for me, but I like a firm ride in my sportscars.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Holy crapp, man, SPECTACULAR! I am definitelyy taking you on on your offer to let me drive her one day...

And yes, Chicago roads are even worse than Dallas roads..
Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

VR, there are a whole host of items I didn't even mention, not including the loosely named Champion "Stage 1" kit which is 68mm VTGs, big TB, big injectors, carbon y pipe, carbon turbo intake pipes, non cat exhaust...

Inconel exhaust manifold blankets over the CM exhaust manifolds
Two separate ECUs programmed with 6 different maps
4 completely different alignment specs to gauge how sensitive the chassis is
3 separate updates to the ECU programming to improve drivability
Changes to base fuel pressure from 5 bar back to 3 bar to increase reliability

Engine makes peak power@6500rpm but has a 7500rpm redline for overrev drivability. The crank bearing surfaces have been nikasil coated (OE is not, just polished!) . The valve seats are a beryllium hybrid.

And there are a bunch of details that I've been sworn to secrecy...

Last edited by Nick Wong; 05-22-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Ipad speeding autocorrect wrong!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
VR, there are a whole host of items I didn't even mention, not including the loosely named Champion "Stage 1" kit which is 68mm VTGs, big TB, big injectors, carbon y pipe, carbon turbo intake pipes, non cat exhaust...

Inconel exhaust manifold blankets overnight CM exhaust manifolds
Two separate ECUs programmed with 6 different maps
4 completely different alignment specs to gauge how sensitive the chassis is
3 separate updates to the ECU programming to improve drivability
Changes to base fuel pressure from 5 bar back to 3 bar to increase reliability

Engine makes peak power@6500rpm but has a 7500rpm redline for overrev drivability. The crank bearing surfaces have been nikasil coated (OE is not, just polished!) . The valve seats are a beryllium hybrid.

And there are a bunch of details that I've been sworn to secrecy...
Hubba hubba...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 03-09-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Nick that's awesome. The best and only the best. I have come to know the feeling with my .1 RS 4.2L build. The guys at Champion Moptorsport are the best and I've known Louis for 17 years. As solid and honest as a friend can be.

Oh and btw Mr. Raptor when my "little project" is done and on track you can take a few laps .

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Mille grazie, Ranger...
Old 05-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Ranger, when I move permanently to Central Florida next year we will have to get together... These two cars deserve some on track frivolity!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:32 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick- Awesome! Very nice package. Well done. What took you so long to post this? Sheesh! Blown 3.8 with suspension, I'd love to do a few laps in that bad-boy. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by savyboy
Nick- Awesome! Very nice package. Well done. What took you so long to post this? Sheesh! Blown 3.8 with suspension, I'd love to do a few laps in that bad-boy. Thanks for sharing.
What took me so long...

1. I'm quite busy a lot of times (self involved, haha).
2. I was supposed to run One Lap, now for the last two years, and didn't for reasons beyond my control.
3. One Lappers who aim for the sharp end are a bit secretive about their cars. We're an odd, car loving lot.
3. I'm halfway around the world and had nothing better to do today.
4. I was enjoying my Bose subwoofer that came with the car and was embarrassed the hardcore guys would thumb their collective noses at me...
5. The real reason- its finally at a stage of development where it does everything I ask reasonably well.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Wow, awesome build.

Quick Reply: My GT2 build over the last year