Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Fronts are 60/120nm. (tender/main)

Rears are 80/230nm.

The car is in Chicago. Worst roads I have ever seen apart from some third world locations. The spring combo is fine, for me, but I like a firm ride in my sportscars.

Thanks for the info Nick,

I find the most interesting information from the above to be you tender rates - I think that potentially has a lot to do with it - potentially.

I did a lot off work on tender stuff when I was doing my suspension and posted information about it - I'm gong to guess, that given your 60/80 f/r tender rates, that your car at rest likely 'just' fully compresses the tenders.

Is it possible if you could track down more information on these tenders - i.e. the key information is what is the Block Load for each.

For example, Swift Springs has a 60 Tender that has a Block load of 617#s but it is a 72mm free length spring. I'm guessing yours might be very slightly shorter (maybe 60mm) and this would put the block load 'around' 500#s. Given that the sprung front corner weights are just above #500#s, this is likely a key part of the magic of the suspension - effectively you are riding around on the mains - but just - as the suspension enters slight extension the combo tender / main rate comes into play, which in the case of your front (60/120) combo translates to 40nm or 224#s. The rear (80/230) combo translates to a 60nm or 336#s.

I would really appreciate it if you could track down the Block Load for each of the Tenders

Many thanks

Paul
Old 05-22-2012, 11:17 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4. I was enjoying my Bose subwoofer that came with the car and was embarrassed the hardcore guys would thumb their collective noses at me...
OUCH...didn't know about that little detail. Champion couldn't find a way to remove it?

Just kidding!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Ranger, when I move permanently to Central Florida next year we will have to get together... These two cars deserve some on track frivolity!
Nick most certainly. I'm in So. Broward county.
I'll PM you my cell # and email but anyway through Champion I'm easy to reach.
They are also doing the axles on the RS to make sure all's bulletproof with the power.
Stay in touch.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
(Juan)
Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Thanks for the info Nick,

I find the most interesting information from the above to be you tender rates - I think that potentially has a lot to do with it - potentially.

I did a lot off work on tender stuff when I was doing my suspension and posted information about it - I'm gong to guess, that given your 60/80 f/r tender rates, that your car at rest likely 'just' fully compresses the tenders.

Is it possible if you could track down more information on these tenders - i.e. the key information is what is the Block Load for each.

For example, Swift Springs has a 60 Tender that has a Block load of 617#s but it is a 72mm free length spring. I'm guessing yours might be very slightly shorter (maybe 60mm) and this would put the block load 'around' 500#s. Given that the sprung front corner weights are just above #500#s, this is likely a key part of the magic of the suspension - effectively you are riding around on the mains - but just - as the suspension enters slight extension the combo tender / main rate comes into play, which in the case of your front (60/120) combo translates to 40nm or 224#s. The rear (80/230) combo translates to a 60nm or 336#s.

I would really appreciate it if you could track down the Block Load for each of the Tenders

Many thanks

Paul
Paul-

I've always read your tech posts on springs and spring combinations with great interest. I don't have that data with me, but if you call up RE Suspension and ask for Jason Enders, a very good friend of mine from karting and the "E" in RE, he can probably tell you everything about the springs down to where the steel was mixed... RE Suspension is the biggest Ohlins distributor in North America and the biggest Penske distributor in the world- if they don't have the info you seek, noone does.

Last edited by Nick Wong; 05-22-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Ipad autocorrect speeling
Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Paul-

I've always read your tech posts on springs and spring combinations with great interest. I don't have that data with me, but if you call up RE Suspension and ask for Jason Enders, a very good friend of mine from karting and the "E" in RE, he can probably tell you everything about the prints down to where the steel was mixed... RE Suspension is the biggest Ohlins distributor in North America and the biggest Penske distributor in the world- if they don't have the info you seek, noone does.
Nick,

Thanks - I ordered all my Swift stuff through RE Suspension so I actually have an account with them. I will call them in the next week or two and get the data.

Thanks again.

Paul
Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Serious question... Is this more fun to drive than an rs or even the 4.0?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
Serious question... Is this more fun to drive than an rs or even the 4.0?
Serious answer- I have no idea. Never driven an RS or 4.0. Driven by a lot of RS' at Road America though, and that was when it had an OE block and stock springs/shocks/alignment...
Old 05-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

amazing car.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Nick, sensational build. Can't wait to see it in action next year against the GTRs.

All that I lacking is a co driver. May I suggest our resident self proclaimed everything expert and OLOA critic. Your freind and mine, Rad.

LMFAO
Old 05-22-2012, 02:12 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Nick,

I cold called Jason for a chat.
He is going to try and be helpful.
As these kits are small sample kits and can be one off specced by seller, without actual part numbers it is difficult to know exactly.
That said, I was able to see some part numbers by zooming in on a Champion post about this kit and the two main springs (front/rear) had the key part numbers 120 and 230 as you suggested - the part numbers are entirely unreadable, if there at all for the Tenders.
Jason is going to do his best - but if you happen to have a flashlight handy, next time you are around the car can you see if a part number is visible on the tenders.

thanks

paul
Old 05-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Targa Tim- thanks!

Yorkshireman- do you intend to play at the front or back? It's an honest question... If I were to drive One Lap I could play in the front 20 easily, but to get to the top three my friend takes charge. He's a former Carrera Cup UK, FFSA le Filiere graduate, Seat Cupra Cup, and Palmer Audi competitor, not to mention top ten placings twice (10th in a Seven, 4th in a Supra) in One Lap. It's important that you get along with your codriver- my codriver is my FRIEND first and foremost, and we have a hoot of a time.

Paul- good you got to talk to Jason. Great guy, really knows his stuff concerning shocks and springs. When I get back from halfway around the world I'll take a look at my car to see what the part numbers are on the springs.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:35 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=Nick Wong;9551422]Targa Tim- thanks!

Yorkshireman- do you intend to play at the front or back? It's an honest question... If I were to drive One Lap I could play in the front 20 easily, but to get to the top three my friend takes charge. He's a former Carrera Cup UK, FFSA le Filiere graduate, Seat Cupra Cup, and Palmer Audi competitor, not to mention top ten placings twice (10th in a Seven, 4th in a Supra) in One Lap. It's important that you get along with your codriver- my codriver is my FRIEND first and foremost, and we have a hoot of a time.

GT2 FTW!

Enjoy and be safe.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:43 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nick, this is a very impressive build, quite expensive, but worth it in every way.

This car must be running 800Hp or so, 3.8 with new VTG Turbos, and custom tuned for race gas, a monster.

Is this the same car that wanted to challenge my lousy Fiat at Sebring on street tires? I feel honored, I cannot compensate for a 300Hp deficit, no matter how I drive.

Great choice on the suspension package, a friend is running the same kit in his 997.1 GT3, and I would go with the same kit if I were driving a 997.

Are you on the stock PCCB rotors and stock pads?

Check the gearing in the GT2 RS, the 997 GT2 is geared awfully tall.

My favorite GT2, is it true it is for sale?
Old 05-22-2012, 03:49 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Nick,

I cold called Jason for a chat.
He is going to try and be helpful.
As these kits are small sample kits and can be one off specced by seller, without actual part numbers it is difficult to know exactly.
That said, I was able to see some part numbers by zooming in on a Champion post about this kit and the two main springs (front/rear) had the key part numbers 120 and 230 as you suggested - the part numbers are entirely unreadable, if there at all for the Tenders.
Jason is going to do his best - but if you happen to have a flashlight handy, next time you are around the car can you see if a part number is visible on the tenders.

thanks

paul
Paul, the Ohlins 120/230 kit compresses the tenders at static load, so the car is always riding on the main.

The wheel rates in the front and rear axle are significantly different in all the 996/997/986/987, hence the split on spring rates, even more with the 996/997 due to weight distribution.

I ran over 10 different suspensions in my Fiat, in my quest for the package that gave me the best results, including stock suspension (with Titanium springs), Moton MotorSports 3-way, F430 Challenge shocks/springs, for the stock and Moton shocks, I ran a variety of spring rates, ultimately, I have been on the last suspension setup for almost a year as I found the happy place, rear springs are almost 2000#, and my tenders compress fully at rest. Car is soft on the road despite of the stiff springs, shock valving does the trick.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:56 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Targa Tim- thanks!

Paul- good you got to talk to Jason. Great guy, really knows his stuff concerning shocks and springs. When I get back from halfway around the world I'll take a look at my car to see what the part numbers are on the springs.
In my Bench Racing effort to join OLOA for next season, I have found that Top Ten overall is usually plagued by Pro level talent. Combining Pro Level talent with near 1000Hp AWD Turbo Automatic cars with ALMS Aero, makes winning practically impossible for the average Joe.

However, OLOA has plenty of categories, and one can run in a category, shoot for 1st place in class, despite of the overall results.

I know how much time I lose to a Pro at certain tracks, as in the past I had the chance to watch them driving customer GT3s when I had my GT3.

I think Top Ten is achievable by the average Joe with a good car, but Top 5 requires monster car and monster driving.

Now, I have to wait for the 2013 OLOA schedule, and develop a plan to take a 1st in some sort of class, like 1st place in the hybrid-SUV new class for 2013.

Quick Reply: My GT2 build over the last year