Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any 4.0's for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Peter in a GT2RS would be devastating at the track!

The countdown has started!

Peter...Bert Smith absolutely SUCKS...really sucks bad...liars, cheats and so forth.
I do not know much about the local dealers but im sure they are not enjoying the car collecting dust in their inventory....
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

GT2RS will make me point and shoot pratice with Rad
Old 04-30-2012, 03:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'm just curious what's out there, not really serious.

Originally Posted by dsu*
good luck with the search man.
I think Graham's looks amazing! It also has the right specs for a track beast right?
Perfect, except for the price LOL.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I think you'd find the current GT2RS doesn't really suffer from any of those faults on track. Previous generation did, but this current one is sofa king awesome on track. Sticky tires/DAS or GMG bar/harnesses are literally all it needs. And the suspension is superb.

it could have 300 fewer HP and it would still be fantastic.
I'm affraid of it and the heat the Turbo's put out in terms of longevity.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Peter in a GT2RS would be devastating at the track!

The countdown has started!

Peter...Bert Smith absolutely SUCKS...really sucks bad...liars, cheats and so forth.
Thanks for the head's up.

Originally Posted by dsu*
Peter, have you spoke to Rad yet? Since mooty isn't going to the dark side, maybe you will? Join Rad and Scott in the horse community?

Scuderias has depreciate a lot, and you can pick up a well optioned virgin for 20-30k under what the 4.0s are going for. Capristo headers+exhaust+wheels, and save the rest for pads+rubber!

Rad has all the suspension settings already. I'm sure he wouldn't mind sharing those
I don't like video games. No feel.
Plus video game cars last forever in the video game only. I would kill one of those Italian fashion thingies in 3 months.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
To me it's the ultimate 997 sleeper.

Gearing is perfect, car revs beautifullyy, pedaks are just right, shifter is just right, steering is just right, no lag, engine noisy enouugh to hear revs but not overwhhelming, torque/power is smoooooooooth and unending. Fvcking incredible car. Best street car I have ever driven on track, by far.
You like it better then the 4.0? Interesting.
I need Savyboy's input here..

Originally Posted by 9972RS
why not just drive the 3.8rs this season. sell it afterwards. and skip a year, until the 2013/2014 gt3rs is out. by that time the MSRP on the 991 gt3rs will be 180 + options. the 4.0s will then come on the market.

I'll probably pick a 4.0 up in the next year or 2.
That's what i probably do, so start looking now right ;-). I ordered my RS 2 years prior to arrival and it took me 6 months to buy a .1GT3.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I do not know much about the local dealers but im sure they are not enjoying the car collecting dust in their inventory....
That looks very pretty..
Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
Yup, just park it in the corner and shoot. Just not sure I'm ready to go into T17 at 170.
I could stop dieting and stop working so hard in the car...
Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

based on what is out there, not very much 4.0L to choose from..... and the ones out there are pricey and appear to be sitting....

nice time to own a 4.0L
Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yup, just park it in the corner and shoot. Just not sure I'm ready to go into T17 at 170.
I could stop dieting and stop working so hard in the car...
Doesn't Detour have a GT2RS Maybe you could cage a ride with him or Gavin. I think you are ready for the GT2RS. :reckon: Great One Lap car also.

Peter
Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Doesn't Detour have a GT2RS Maybe you could cage a ride with him or Gavin. I think you are ready for the GT2RS. :reckon: Great One Lap car also.

Peter
Detour has seen the light, gave away the GT2RS and got a 458 Italia stallion.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

And a 3.8RS and is looking for a 4.0.

I think the 458 ran out of brakes the first day at Sebring no?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

peter, i'd be shocked if you found one like the black one as far as price point

and yes that 458 ran out of fresh pads on day 1 at the track
Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just curious what's out there for sale in the US:

I only know of the white one at Carlsen for $249000,00:
http://carlsen.porschedealer.com/pre...94202/info.php

And this pretty PTS orange one for $230000,00:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=59610

Plenty of GT2RS for sale for low $200K
Keep your 3.8RS. 4.0RS are priced right, but they are carrying around $100k plus over the 3.8RS and you still get just one car.

Instead, do what Mooty should have done many ages ago, and keeps resisting for no reason (but I know the guy and reason was not given to him at birth). Get a 2003-2004 996 GT3 Cup, you will love it, it is cheap, it is reliable, and you don't need to modify it.

You can buy a 996 GT3 Cup and still keep your 3.8RS. There is nothing that forces you to run slicks on a 996 GT3 Cup, you can run RA1, you can run R6. The car is fast. You can run NASA-TTU, NARRA TT2, DE Cup, everything. It is nice to have 2 cars and not to rely on one. You can carry both cars to events in your 2 cars trailer, and drive the one you feel like driving that day.

996 GT3 Cup has ABS and a manual tranny with very close ratios.

Don't get the 997 GT3 Cup stuff, because you don't like video games.

Once in a while, you could run a PCA/NASA/SCCA/Historic Club race, as there are many classes where the 996 GT3 Cup fits competitively.

Engine refresh? not needed, buy a 996 GT3 street engine for $15k, and that's your rebuild for the next 200 hours. Tranny refresh? Brian Copans.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to drive one on the track.
Not sure if I like, throttle, lag, boost, saced, lift, throttle, rev limiter shift between each apex and track out....
Come on over to the dark side!!!!!

When you corner fast enough and keep the revs up (mine at Road Atlanta are 95% 4700-7000) there is no lag. Very smooth throttle inputs will make apex/trackout very docile. If you ride with me, you will not feel any big surges. The only difference is that many of the Vette's Vipers and GT-R's that try to drag race on the straights will think they got away, only to look up and see:

The problem a lot of Turbo (especially 911) people have is they set the cars up like a low torque NA Cup or GT3. Lots of rear negative camber and big torque do not make for easy handling. My laps are quite drama free, but my cornering speeds are not slow. It's not as much point and shoot as you might think.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:34 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

And a 3.8RS and is looking for a 4.0.

I think the 458 ran out of brakes the first day at Sebring no?
Yes, in between Beijing West Chinese shocks not even threaded, and crappy Textar brake pads, you can't expect the pig heavy 458 Italia and its 570Hp to live up to expectations.

Fortunately, for 458 Italia owners serious about tracking, the only mods needed are brakes, wheels/tires, exhaust, a tranny cooler and suspension, and all the parts are available for decent prices.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Keep your 3.8RS. 4.0RS are priced right, but they are carrying around $100k plus over the 3.8RS and you still get just one car.

Instead, do what Mooty should have done many ages ago, and keeps resisting for no reason (but I know the guy and reason was not given to him at birth). Get a 2003-2004 996 GT3 Cup, you will love it, it is cheap, it is reliable, and you don't need to modify it.

You can buy a 996 GT3 Cup and still keep your 3.8RS. There is nothing that forces you to run slicks on a 996 GT3 Cup, you can run RA1, you can run R6. The car is fast. You can run NASA-TTU, NARRA TT2, DE Cup, everything. It is nice to have 2 cars and not to rely on one. You can carry both cars to events in your 2 cars trailer, and drive the one you feel like driving that day.

996 GT3 Cup has ABS and a manual tranny with very close ratios.

Don't get the 997 GT3 Cup stuff, because you don't like video games.

Once in a while, you could run a PCA/NASA/SCCA/Historic Club race, as there are many classes where the 996 GT3 Cup fits competitively.

Engine refresh? not needed, buy a 996 GT3 street engine for $15k, and that's your rebuild for the next 200 hours. Tranny refresh? Brian Copans.
Now THAT is a great idea..........

Far better than a 4.0/ GT2RS or DE cup.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
LOL! Then you're droving it wrong!

You like it better then the 4.0? Interesting.
They are not really dissimilar. Their suspensions feel very, very similar. Very very supple. I would not be surprised if their suspensions are identical.

Just imagine a 4.0 with another 150 USABLE horsepower & torque.

That's the way the GT2RS drives on track.

My client had a 997.1 GT2, and I hated it. Then he got the .2 GT2RS. it surprised the hell out of me. I expected ot hate it as well...and after 3 laps I loved it, did not want to get out of the driver's seat. it was absolutely incredible. Having driven a 4.0 now, I can say it drives like a 4.0 with a bunch more usable motor everywhere in the RPM range.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Yes, in between Beijing West Chinese shocks not even threaded, and crappy Textar brake pads, you can't expect the pig heavy 458 Italia and its 570Hp to live up to expectations.

Fortunately, for 458 Italia owners serious about tracking, the only mods needed are brakes, wheels/tires, exhaust, a tranny cooler and suspension, and all the parts are available for decent prices.
Earth to Rad, for a REALLY expensive car, that's a lot of stuff! All that at decent Ferrari prices + labor adds up to what, another 50k?

Quick Reply: Any 4.0's for sale?