BLUE Porsche GT3RS 4.0 On Track!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by senna
I love your car Juan, always have!!! Ok, so I watched the video a few times. How can you both explain how Juan was not able to pull away from Reter's 3.8 that much? I mean, 4.0 lights carbon body parts, more power, etc... Still, it was not like he was leaving Reter behind miles away, or yet. He was not able to catch John on his 3.8 either. I am confused.
I've been quizzing 4.0 drivers (mostly track, but also in general terms on the road, Autobahn, etc.) I wouldn't say there's consensus, but I think there's a common observation that the 4.0 is not capable of simply walking away from the 3.8. In the case of a 3.8 following a 4.0, there's the well-understood phenomenon of it being "easy" to keep up with a faster car on the track and very much harder to be in front and try to make a gap and widen it. Even the extra power and torque of the 2RS doesn't result in a car that can walk away from a 3.8RS -- it certainly has the acceleration advantage, but under brakes, it's always the easier task to gather up the difference. That said, I've been in a 400 horse GT3 that had no problem keeping up with a Carrera GT being driven quite smartly ... until a 2nd gear hairpin (T11 at Laguna) and when the Carrera GT came around onto the front straight in 2nd gear, by the time I was at 135 mph cresting T1, the Carrera GT was apexing T2. : ) Of course the 2RS has more "accessible" power and handling (credited for its faster ring times) and surely it can get going like the Carrera GT, but the subjective delta is not the commanding advantage I'd expect from the on-paper stats.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:29 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all these cheater mods, i cant keep up
Old 04-28-2012, 02:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I've been quizzing 4.0 drivers (mostly track, but also in general terms on the road, Autobahn, etc.) I wouldn't say there's consensus, but I think there's a common observation that the 4.0 is not capable of simply walking away from the 3.8. In the case of a 3.8 following a 4.0, there's the well-understood phenomenon of it being "easy" to keep up with a faster car on the track and very much harder to be in front and try to make a gap and widen it. Even the extra power and torque of the 2RS doesn't result in a car that can walk away from a 3.8RS -- it certainly has the acceleration advantage, but under brakes, it's always the easier task to gather up the difference. That said, I've been in a 400 horse GT3 that had no problem keeping up with a Carrera GT being driven quite smartly ... until a 2nd gear hairpin (T11 at Laguna) and when the Carrera GT came around onto the front straight in 2nd gear, by the time I was at 135 mph cresting T1, the Carrera GT was apexing T2. : ) Of course the 2RS has more "accessible" power and handling (credited for its faster ring times) and surely it can get going like the Carrera etGT, but the subjective delta is not the commanding advantage I'd expect from the on-paper stats.
That makes sense and was true at Barber, a very busy track. It is missing a long straight, something that might get build soon I heard.

At Sebring and Road Atlanta with long straights and tight corners the 4.0 walks away at probably a few seconds a lap..

The 4.0 is my perfect rabbit to draft behind setting new personal bests ;-)
Old 04-28-2012, 03:00 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Izzone
John on Hoosier, whole different grip level

Peter / juan / nick / me on toyo

With the case of juan / Peter . Juan was leaving the corners slower so He could not make up for a slower exit speed with extra hp
Ok, thanks. That makes more sense, and cool video too.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Juan's car has side mufflers deleted, 45 lbs weight savings compared to stock. John's car has a heavier rear center muffler (compared to Juan's Titanium thingy), ECU tune, headers.

The only reason Juan's 4.0RS walks away from Trakcar's 3.8RS is the sloppy shifting trakcar does consistently, trakcar's 3.8RS is carrying a 100 lbs penalty (near a full second time difference at Sebring), and trakcar's low rpm upshifts.

Driven on straight line, with proper shifting, the 4.0RS doesn't pull away that much over the 3.8RS. Check dyno runs from both the 3.8RS and 4.0RS and the difference is around 30whp. 30whp doesn't make a huge difference on cars running at 3,400 lbs on track conditions.

Trakcar is the slowest of all the Aero Beetle drovers on the straights down here in Florida (I pass him as a sitting duck with the Fiat), but he is also faster than the rest of the Aero Beetles drovers where it matters, on the turns.

The 4.0RS is a great car, but current pricing ($200k is about current market), makes the 3.8RS the bargain car. I don't understand why the 3.8RS is not gaining resale value, because it should.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:33 PM
lopro
Banned

lol nj-gt your posts are classic hahhaaa
Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

I just realize the driver's size and weight counts too.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Juan's car has side mufflers deleted, 45 lbs weight savings compared to stock. John's car has a heavier rear center muffler (compared to Juan's Titanium thingy), ECU tune, headers.
I think John has custom headers, custom ECU tune (Runs race gas) no cats and a 996 CUP exhaust. Also a special clutch. Pulls hard for sure, as does Teo who also runs Hoosiers.

The only reason Juan's 4.0RS walks away from Trakcar's 3.8RS is the sloppy shifting trakcar does consistently, trakcar's 3.8RS is carrying a 100 lbs penalty (near a full second time difference at Sebring), and trakcar's low rpm upshifts.
You're nuts, the only reason..I have been on Erik and Juan's *** down the straights in equal cars plenty of times before, I don't shift THAT slow and I think shifting at 8-8200 is optimal, even more when the track goes down hill. There is some logic to the madness.

I agree that 100lbs is about a second at Sebring. with a 180lb passenger I was exactly 1.4 secs slower.

Driven on straight line, with proper shifting, the 4.0RS doesn't pull away that much over the 3.8RS. Check dyno runs from both the 3.8RS and 4.0RS and the difference is around 30whp. 30whp doesn't make a huge difference on cars running at 3,400 lbs on track conditions.
I think it does because I have seen it, it pulls away like your Fiat does. Dyno difference is probably more like to be 50Hp and more importantly torque. We should throw Juan's car on the dyno asap. Mine needs to be dyno'ed anyway, we can do it the same day. Eddie?

Trakcar is the slowest of all the Aero Beetle drovers on the straights down here in Florida (I pass him as a sitting duck with the Fiat), but he is also faster than the rest of the Aero Beetles drovers where it matters, on the turns.
Thanks, I think.
But it's not only the careful shifting, it is the dyno proven least HP and least TQ. No ECU, just side muffler delete is 420HP and 300TQ as posted before. All the others pulled more. Also most wing on the car, hence better cornering. The others now also all have all Gurney and max wing angle. We will see next time what the difference is. Still waiting for the taller uprights from Orbit...

The 4.0RS is a great car, but current pricing ($200k is about current market), makes the 3.8RS the bargain car. I don't understand why the 3.8RS is not gaining resale value, because it should.
It will, you can see it happening. There are no $115K RS any longer, there were a year ago.

996GT3 is going up a little the last 2 years, 997's both GT3 and RS have pretty much stayed the same the last 24 months, the GT3.2's have held steady the last 12 months and the RS went up 10K the last 6-12 months. Me thinks 3.8's will hold for another 12-24 months, than it will depend on the 991GT3RS. 4.0's will also hold for another 24 months, unless beaten to death at the track but no one drives a 4.0 that much, after that it depends again on the 991 and I can see the 991 make all 997 GT3's go up. Just more track junkies then there are good GT3's....
Old 04-28-2012, 06:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I just realize the driver's size and weight counts too.
I know Rad's calling me fat again..

Can we go with stout?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:12 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I know Rad's calling me fat again..

Can we go with stout?
The difference is more on Juan's carbon hood and carbon fenders, Juan using the Ti muffler and you using the steel version, and you being 2-story building tall.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

Teo's car is STRONG... But that shifter...when it's cold...ay ay ay...
Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The difference is more on Juan's carbon hood and carbon fenders, Juan using the Ti muffler and you using the steel version, and you being 2-story building tall.
LiON Battery as well, so his car is lighter for sure. If going faster is your thing, tire is where is at?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:45 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

LiON Battery as well, so his car is lighter for sure. If going faster is your thing, tire is where is at?
Yes, tires are the biggest performance gain on any car. I think it is silly to run super sticky tires for DE, DE tires should be the safest, cheapest and relatively fast tires to be used.

For Club Racing, Time Trials, autocrosses, drag racing, where there is a competition, and times are important, run the fastest tire allowed in class.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,753 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by jp175
Guys great pair of weekends! However, It is the third and last time I do unshaven RA1s.....very squirmy and too little front end grip. Scott? Staying with shaved RA1s. Damn Izzone wouldn't share with me his tire shaver vendor. I'm just too busy to research all this crap.
did u ask him nicely?
he offered me $2500/set for however many sets I wanted, lmao
Old 04-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Yes, tires are the biggest performance gain on any car. I think it is silly to run super sticky tires for DE, DE tires should be the safest, cheapest and relatively fast tires to be used.

For Club Racing, Time Trials, autocrosses, drag racing, where there is a competition, and times are important, run the fastest tire allowed in class.
Good advice.

Quick Reply: BLUE Porsche GT3RS 4.0 On Track!!