Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 Spec - Porsche Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

As I read through the above I'm starting to realize, there's a bunch of porsche buyers (myself incl.) who'd want (and pay up for) a Cup R that's barely street legal. Maybe that's where the line can be drawn: a GT3 that's marginally civilized (within the context of a GT car) and which can be specced to resemble the modern luxuries of a 991. Then a *****-out RS with the absolute minimum. Optional: common-sense-be-damned suspension, gearbox, cage and aero.

I'm all for a sequential manual box. Who wants a PDK when a sequential offers so much more in RAWNESS and lighter weight?

If history's any indication, the GT3 will probably debut at the power level of the outgoing RS i.e. 450bhp. The 991 RS will probably start where the RS4.0 left off, i.e. 500bhp. Porsche you're getting too predictable--surprise us on the upside if you will!! Whatever you do with the engine, keep it dry-sumped, and fix those damn coolant hoses!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:00 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
LOL, we do our best, but I get only 40 track days a year, Randy might be getting close with 26 events in about 6 months....
Holy crap! I've got about 40 DE days in total in 2 and a half years, let alone in a year
Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Great list everyone...really hope Porsche reads this and take a lot of it to heart.

For my own personal self serving want.....PDK! PLEASE....this is a physical must for me.

Other than that....my wants:
PDK
No Sunroof
5 Lug wheels
RELIABILITY
PSM Off mean Off
Test the car at Daytona and fix the warning fault codes when over 130mph on the high banks PLEASE!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I want the new GT series of cars to prove themselves on the track more than anything.
I'm not a pro driver & I don't mind paying the entry fee for these cars, but I want a tried & true sports car.

As fast as the GT-R is, it hasn't won any big races.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 AM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

wait a minute. How is porsche going to put a sequential in a road going car? I would love it, but it's not going to happen. why? because there will be buyers who say the shifts are too harsh.

i.e., BMW M3 e46 with SMG (sequential) vs. e90 DCT. everyone hated the SMG when the DCT came out. They said it shifts so much, get this, smoother.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
2950 pounds
500hp
wheel studs
calliper studs
motorsport LSD
90L tank
clubsport roll bar mounts
minimal electrical gizmos
harness ready seats
+1
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Defeatable abs... How about Motorsport abs if defeatable is not an option
Yes. I was targeting track shortcomings of current system and this is a much better solution.

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Great thread ! Letter to Porsche!

I'm giving serious thought... to sticking it on the top.

+1 to Nizer's list

and
All electronics should / must be switchable.
And off means OFF!

And no PASM
real suspension
and no active anti roll bars

Great thread. I pulled over to type this. Ignore the typos
Yes to all of the above! And glad you pulled over - wouldn't want to be responsible for you ending up on Wreckedexotics.com

I agree with all the above.

Charge us more to take stuff out is OK, charge us more to put stuff in is OK too.
Clubsport $$ option
Motorsport ABS $$ option
Take out radio, CL, A/C $$ option
CF roof and fenders $$ option
All OK, just make it possible.

Don't be greedy a$$holses and charge 5K for a color that costs the same to put on, like 5K white on the .1RS or 3K for grey in the .2RS, then make .2RS white no charge and metallic blue no charge.

1. It must be very durable on track.
2. It must be lighter
3. It does not have to be faster for now if that means we get 1 and 2.

Just fix what needs fixing from 997RS and 991 C2S.
Let us have it our way. Well put.

Originally Posted by montoya
Well, I'm all for analog, but I think PDK is a must for the next GT3, and a track oriented active suspension, with a race style traction control will probably be in the offing as well.

Just my opinion....
Choice is good. Just make sure I can still choose a manual.

Originally Posted by mooty
NIZER for PRESIDENT in november!
maybe i will actually vote for once.

Integrated aero: hum.... i was thinking of a bigger taller wing so i can look silly.
Ha, ha! Never happen. The other side would eventually get ahold of my Rennlist posts and that would be that....

Re: the wing, I kind of like the sleeper look - subtle flairs, aero tweeks, 265/325 tires - people would know. Whatever as long as it works on track.

"i would go with semi solid mounts. many trackers' DEM are failing."
Really? Mine must be broken then, how do you know?
Failing DEMs??

Thanks for all the comments guys. Let's hope AP takes some of this to heart and still has the power to make things happen.

Speaking of AP, where is Savyboy on this thread? Must be out driving his 4.0.....
Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car is most probably already done deal sorted.
i think we're too late here.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Subwoofers
Sunroof
Deviated Stitching
PDK
V8
Old 04-03-2012, 12:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Guys - I wanted to clear up a misconception aboiut the 997 Cup's power steering. I keep seeing posts where people ask for Hydraulic steering, or in the worst case, the Cup's Electric steering.

The 997 Cup has Hydraulic power steering, however, its hydraulic pump is driven by an external electric motor. This is not the worst case, it is the best case.

Having hydraulic power steering is what gives us the good feel and feedback (compared to other power steering systems - manual is still superior, but doesn't make sense for a heavy modern car).

Having the hydraulic pump driven by an external electric motor means that the car's engine is not wasting any of its power to turn the pump.

Note: This is very different than the electric power steering in the 991 Carrera which has an electric motor attached to the steering rack that moves the rack in response to sensors built into the steering column (that can tell if you're trying to turn left or right).

So, to summarize:

Manual steering is the best in feel/feedback, but is only useable in a lighter car

Hybrid hydraulic steering as used on Cup (with hydraulic pump driven by external electric motor) is the next best alternative (no engine power wasted on the steering pump - motor only turns pump as fast as needed - not proportional to engine revs).

Standard hydraulic steering (with pump driven by engine) has the same feel as above, but loses several horsepower to turn the pump (and can overheat the pump with constant high revs - see Cayman).

Electric power steering (no hydraulic steering rack nor pump) is efficient but numb - not best choice for GT3.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
A functional and durable LSD (PAG- call Matt of GT- he'll make a proper LSD)
To be perfectly honest, I'd probably tell them to get bent. With the derogatory things their represensatives recently said about my products quite publicly at the races at Sebring they'd need to make a written public apology for their trash talking before I would even consider doing business with them. There's gears on my shelf with Porsche part numbers on them because 10 years ago we were the OEM supplier for Cup Car gearsets. And now they've got the gall to walk around the paddock calling my stuff inferior? Sorry, but I'm not interested in their business...

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion...
Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Damn Matt- screw their attitude and their pos Lsd's!! I wouldn't deal with them either. Mike
Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Guys - I wanted to clear up a misconception aboiut the 997 Cup's power steering. I keep seeing posts where people ask for Hydraulic steering, or in the worst case, the Cup's Electric steering.

The 997 Cup has Hydraulic power steering, however, its hydraulic pump is driven by an external electric motor. This is not the worst case, it is the best case.

Having hydraulic power steering is what gives us the good feel and feedback (compared to other power steering systems - manual is still superior, but doesn't make sense for a heavy modern car).

Having the hydraulic pump driven by an external electric motor means that the car's engine is not wasting any of its power to turn the pump.

Note: This is very different than the electric power steering in the 991 Carrera which has an electric motor attached to the steering rack that moves the rack in response to sensors built into the steering column (that can tell if you're trying to turn left or right).

So, to summarize:

Manual steering is the best in feel/feedback, but is only useable in a lighter car

Hybrid hydraulic steering as used on Cup (with hydraulic pump driven by external electric motor) is the next best alternative (no engine power wasted on the steering pump - motor only turns pump as fast as needed - not proportional to engine revs).

Standard hydraulic steering (with pump driven by engine) has the same feel as above, but loses several horsepower to turn the pump (and can overheat the pump with constant high revs - see Cayman).

Electric power steering (no hydraulic steering rack nor pump) is efficient but numb - not best choice for GT3.
With respect to a full manual rack what weight of car makes it feasible? 964 has a manual rack right? Mike
Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
With respect to a full manual rack what weight of car makes it feasible? 964 has a manual rack right? Mike
The only 964 with a manual rack is the RS America, but because they changed the steering geometry from the 911 in 1989 (something about negative scrub radius) to work with ABS it is very heavy to steer (weighs close to 3k pounds with narrow 7" and 8" wheels).

On the other hand, the manual steering on my 73 911 feels almost disconcertingly light (lighter than most power steering system at any speed over 20mph) - however, it weights up beautifully as soon as you enter a corner and gives an incredible amount of detailed information about the grip remaining (or not) from the front axle. It also has fantastic on-center feel (before they went to a slower ratio rack with the 993 and then variable rack with the 997).

I would think a new 911 weighing around 2,500 pounds with the current tire sizes would be ok for a manual rack (maybe 2,700 if they made the wheels proportionally narrower).

Ever drive a Lotus Elise/Exige? They have a nice manual steering system - isn't heavy, despite the tiny steering wheel with no leverage.

Last edited by GrantG; 04-03-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

PDK...PDK...PDK...PDK...PDK...PDK...PDK...Hey Porsche...PDK!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Spec - Porsche Please Read